Prayers for RTB Racer - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 09-27-2004, 08:25 AM

Prayers for RTB Racer

On a sad note, RTB Racer (Richard Beard) was seriously injured in a non Racing accident at Buttonwillow raceway this past weekend. Your thoughts and prayers are greatly needed for him and his family.

Apparently he was riding a moped when the rear tire popped and he ended up hitting his head HARD on the asphalt. Knocking himself unconsious. He was flown from the track by helicopter to a Hospital in Bakersfield. He was on life support upon arrival and has since been put into a medically induced Coma.

The latest report is that he is doing better. I understand he will be staying in the Hospital for a couple more days until he can be transfered to cedars in LA.

My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Another good friend of mine, Ross Ditlove, was with him when this happend. Ross was injured as well. Broken Collar bone and foot (I think). Thoughts and prayers are with him and his wife for a speedy recovery as well.

Get well soon guys. We need you back at the track.

Maybe between Anthony (Italcar Guy) and Efrain (racer Efrain) we can get more detailed information on where we can send flowers and cards.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2004, 10:18 AM

I spoke with Richard's dad last night when I got home and he said Richard was awake and talking to him and his brothers. They did a CAT scan Saturday night and found some internal bleeding. Apparantly it wasn't severe and there is was no need to rush him into surgery. They did another CAT scan yesterday and found no clots. So far it looks good, but it will probably be a while before Richard is back to normal. His dad told me the first thing he said when he woke up was that he wanted to get the f()ck out of the hospital cuz he had a race in the afternoon (sounds like he ok).

I talked to Ross this morning and looks like he has a dislocated shoulder, broken rib, and broken toe. He's going into the doctor's later this morning. I'll post more here once we find out more on the condition of the two guys.

Richard is up in Kern County Hospital in Bakersfield and will probably be relocated to Cedars Sini in Los Angeles once he is in stable condition. Although he is awake and alert, he is still in critical condition because of the type of injury he has. Let's just pray that both these guys make a speedy recovery.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-27-2004, 12:34 PM

I just spoke with Richard's father. The bleeding in his head stopped and Richard is awake and talking. He is still in critical condition because of the serverity of his injury. It looks like tomorrow he will be moved to Cedars Sini Hospital where they will monitor him more. The doctor's are saying he should completely recover from this one, it'll just be a matter of time. I'll report back when I hear more.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:46 PM

Great news. Thanks for the update.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:04 PM

Thanks for the update Anthony. I really feel for these guys. He was probably lucky that it happened at the track with the necessary medical staff. I always thought that racing was the most dangerous thing I did. Looks like my Vespa rides will be helmet only paddock or street.

Give both my best from a racer on the opposite coast.

Zal
Old 09-27-2004, 01:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to Hit an Apex
My prayers are with these guys .
Old 09-27-2004, 05:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to super-racer
When my buddy Efrain Olivares Jr. called me Saturday night to tell me about our buddy Richard, my heart dropped down to my stomach and I was left speechless. The next day my brother Anthony called me to let me know that he was doing better and I started to smile when he told me that Richard wanted to race. Richard is not only a great driver but he's a great guy to have as a friend. He'll be back on the track before we know it and I wish him the best of luck in his recovery.
74 Spider
88 Milano Verde
Old 09-27-2004, 09:57 PM

"His dad told me the first thing he said when he woke up was that he wanted to get the f()ck out of the hospital cuz he had a race in the afternoon (sounds like he ok)."

It would appear that all of the previous functions are still in place.
97 Van Diemen F2000
02 SVT Focus
Old 09-28-2004, 02:56 PM

Just got off the phone with John Beard Sr. and he had good news. Richard was able to stand up on his own today for the first time and he was really responsive. They asked him a lot of questions such as name, home address, phone numbers, family business address, etc. and he answered all of them right on the money! We also know he can read because he was hitting on the nurse.....turned her name tag and read her name out loud. Maybe he'll have a visitor at the next Buttonwillow race? They already have a room for him at Cedar Sinai Hospital and are in the process of getting him over there. If he doesn't get moved late this afternoon, he is scheduled to be move sometime tomorrow. Doctors are saying he should make a full recovery once he is through with therapy. I'll report back when I hear more.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:30 PM

Last night Richard was moved to Cedars Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles. They have pulled him out of intensive care and he is now in a regular room. Visiting hours are pretty much open whenever. He is doing a lot better and is looking forward to seeing/hearing from us. Yesterday he was able to walk around his room a little more than he did earlier in the week. Some of you asked for his room number so you can send him a card or so you can go visit him. Here is the info:

Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
8700 Beverly Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90048
Phone: Main Switchboard (310) 4-CEDARS (423-3277)

Richard is in room # 8016.

Because he is in a regular room, I doubt they will be moving him to another room.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:41 AM

Richard is back at home now! He is doing a lot better and I notice improvements on his condition each time I see him. He might be up at the AROSC event at Willow in a couple weeks to watch.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:19 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Great news!!!
Alfa Dogs #13
Oakville, ON

74 GTV Race Car, 73 GTV
Old 10-06-2004, 06:37 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV4EVR
Great news!!!

Yes, this is great news indeed.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to RtbRacer
Hey guys,

Thank you for worrying about me, but luckily i am home. I injured my head other than that I am all good.

I ended up with a 4-5 inch long break in my skull near my right ear. From hitting the ground too hard. Anyway, I am back at home and will be healing up apparently it should take me at least a year before I am back to normal. That is not very good but at least I will get back to normal. At any rate I can't drive anything including street cars, so i will watch the race cars sit on their trailers. anyways, thanks for worrying about me, I can be reached now.

Richard
Old 10-06-2004, 09:46 PM
Gold Subscriber

Richard glad to hear you are back home.
Take it easy and we will see you at the track next year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.