Last Years Concorso, beware. - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Last Years Concorso, beware.

Just an FYI for those of you who attend the Concorso Italiano in Monterey in August.

Last August I brought my '67 Duetto for the 50th anniversary of the marque, and at their request I placed my car the evening before the event to get the many Duettos set on the field for the event. (I have never done this the night before but did it at their urging). All went well initially and I left my car with a cover in place.

The next morning I arrived and I found it there with a dent and large scratch across the nose and a torn cover.

Now note this car is painted in lacquer and is a very original California car.

The powers that be acknowledged they knew about the damage and that it occurred during the evening sometime but did not know who exactly caused the damage. (either one of their staff or a vendor)
It was clear that it was hit by one of the utility golf car flatbeds based on the location, level and type of damage.

So despite acknowledging that this occurred under their watch and saying that they would contact their insurance carrier, nothing has been done to help me repair my auto by them.
Their insurance has denied coverage for this saying that "competition vehicles are not covered by the policy" It took them approximately 3 months to decide this.

The Concorso has taking no responsibility and refuses to repair my auto just suggesting that I file a claim with insurance and they can "subrogate' the claim to the Concorso's insurance.

The point of this post is to warn participants that if you bring a car to an event and it's damaged by someone related to the event, they very well may deny any coverage, and you're on your own.

Now this isn't the simplest thing to repair, on my car since a good paint match that would hold up a color match over time is going to be very difficult and, since it's illegal to spray Lacquer in CA. Also, to try to match base/clear coat paint to lacquer is going to be next to impossible.

I'll post some pictures in a bit as well.

Mike I.
'61 Giulietta SS, '59 Spider Veloce, '67 duetto, '74 GTV

Last edited by mdivasc; 01-24-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 01:43 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I was VERY NERVOUS bringing my cars to the 2015 convention, but they gave me my own spot which made me feel better. The carrier was scary enough!
All returned unharmed! The Concourse People were just awesome and very happy to see me!
Sorry to hear this. Hope it gets resolved. Like to see a response from the National Alfa Club and their position on this issue.
They monitor this site!
Seems someone should fall on their sword! Be a MAN!! Bad Move! You know you did it! Confess!!

AlfasRule!

1972 Montreal (The Pumpkin)
1975 Alfetta Sedan
1975 Alfetta Coupe Race Car
1982 Spider
1984 GTV-6
1984 GTV-6 Verde (GiGi)
1987 Milano (Da NEW Winta Beata)
1987 Milano Verde(Da kREDden Mobile)

Last edited by alfasrule; 01-24-2017 at 01:49 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Photos
Attached Images

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 02:37 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Year before last I had both Alfas there, with a shade canopy on poles, information boards on easels, and free champagne for visitors.

At one point we were sitting under the gazebo, with glasses in hand. A golf cart with three Boy Scouts came whizzing by right in front of us, attempting to navigate the narrow gap between one of our information easels and the Touring 2000. They wiped out the easel, breaking a leg, but thankfully didnt attempt a last-minute swerve into the 2000.

They slowed, looked over their shoulders, said "sorry about that!", and kept rolling.

Humans are entirely overrated as a species.

But, that's why I carry stated-value, classic car insurance.

I agree. Call your insurance company, and let them subrogate.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 02:39 PM

Garage
Mike, sorry to hear about the damage and your situation. A parked car is a parked car; since when is a car show 'competition' a worthy excuse for denying an insurance claim? It is not like you were racing from green to green or even 'in' the car. Could you tell which golf cart flatbed hit your car? Maybe that would help identify who was driving...90% of the lawyers give the other 10% a bad name; insurance companies are worse!

You can bet if it was John Mozarts 8c 2.9, there'd be he11 to pay!

Mark
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 03:41 PM

I've Played This Game Before And This Is How I Would Proceed: Hire An Attorney (forget about the insurance companys(s)) And Have It Sorted Properly. -John
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 04:24 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
OUCH!! Come on YOU know YOU did it FESS UP! Or are you a DIRT BAG!! Sorry Mike!
My dues are pending. Want to here what the Club has to say about this.
This should be resolved! The Club US or TN has insurance and should investigate.
There are cameras everywhere and this was filmed! Especially at an event like this.
In 2015 in R.I. the security there was GREAT, I went by at 12:00AM to look at my cars
and they were there asking me why I was there. Well my sister insisted I remove the keys from under the seat from my 7 cars.
When she found out she drove me there to get them.

AlfasRule!

1975 Alfetta Sedan
1982 Spider
1984 GTV-6
1984 GTV-6 Verde (GiGi)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 04:30 PM

Just look at the many layers of paint and filler on that nose !
Might be a good time to re-do it correctly !

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 05:00 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
That was Rude!
flandrian likes this.

AlfasRule!

1975 Alfetta Sedan
1982 Spider
1984 GTV-6
1984 GTV-6 Verde (GiGi)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdivasc
Just an FYI for those of you who attend the Concorso Italiano in Monterey in August. Last August I brought my '67 Duetto for the 50th anniversary of the marque
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfasrule View Post
The Club US or TN has insurance and should investigate.
Hang on - the damage to mdivasc's car occurred at the Concorso in Monterey; not at the national convention in Tennessee. AROC has nothing to do with it.
flandrian likes this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 01-24-2017 at 08:01 PM.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 03:53 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
My mistake Sorry!

AlfasRule!

1975 Alfetta Sedan
1982 Spider
1984 GTV-6
1984 GTV-6 Verde (GiGi)
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 08:21 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Late to the party here, mdivasc - do you have any resolution from your Ins Co?

Your anger is understandable.. and it was decent and reasonable of you to try and settle this with the organizers, but as you experienced, that can be a frustrating path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPeterson3 View Post
Call your insurance company, and let them subrogate.
Yes.

I've been thru this, and although I'm not an insurance person, it's worth sharing just to illuminate the situation for anyone dealing with this -

Unless an organizer names you and your asset specifically as an Additionally Insured on the insurance certificate issued for the event, the only insurance that protects you is your own policy. An Organizer's insurance is to protect them, not necessarily you. Therefore the only entity which has a real responsibility to act on your claim is your own Ins Co. (If you talked with the Organizer's Ins Co, you may have noticed a total lack of Giving An F about your claim. No follow up. Not returning calls. etc. Because they have zero responsibility or motivation to pay you.)

Call your own Ins Co, explain and submit your claim along with whatever written documentation you have (a good example why to always get an accident report). Their motivation to subrogate your claim comes from the Organizers bearing fault and your Ins Co gladly recoups their and your costs from the Organizers Ins Co - and typically with the third party admitting fault your deductible is reimbursed 100%.

The anguish and anger still really stinks, the organizers gave you no satisfaction and that leaves a bad taste for the whole affair, and it's totally understandable to try and settle the claim amicably, but your own Ins Co is your only friend here.

Let us know how this goes.

Best,
- Art

2007 Aston DB9, 1994 Alfa 164 LS, 1982 Alfa GTV6 Balocco SE, 1975 Maserati Bora, 1967 Plymouth Satellite convertible, 1965 Plymouth Satellite hardtop
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

The concorso has paid nothing and offered nothing to repair my car.
I have Chubb collector car insurance and they have ben very good once someone who knows collector cars got involved with the claim.
Initially the sent an appraiser who did regular auto claims and he didn't get it. Once a collector person got involved, they approved a complete respray without argument, which is underway now. I have no plans to return to the concorso in the near future, I've been going for probably 9-10 years and brought 3 Alfas last year.
Realistically it's not that well organized and the judging is really a farse anyway. I don't go for the judging, but after last year I really saw how arbitrary things really are.
Just beware no one is going to help you if your car gets damaged by their people.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Chubb ins. Is covering a complete exterior repaint. The say they will subrogate the claim.
No sympathy or assistance from the concorso Italiano.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:52 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdivasc View Post
The concorso has paid nothing and offered nothing to repair my car.
This is consistent with the policy coverages and standard insurance practice.

The rest is your anger at the organizers. I hope you are able to move past it. Glad your ins co is taking care of you. Best wishes for a satisfactory outcome with the repairs.
- Art

2007 Aston DB9, 1994 Alfa 164 LS, 1982 Alfa GTV6 Balocco SE, 1975 Maserati Bora, 1967 Plymouth Satellite convertible, 1965 Plymouth Satellite hardtop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode