**Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix July 8-16th** - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 04-30-2006, 10:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to M635dude
**Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix July 8-16th**

Hey guys, just got the letter for the PVGP this year. It will be held between the 8th and the 16th of july with events throughout the entire time, and then the car show on the 15th, and the races on the 16th. Here is the list of events.

Many think the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix takes place every third weekend in July. While it is true that our tribute to motorsport history culminates that magical weekend in Schenley Park, our event has grown into a 10-day celebration spanning six venues and two counties. The links in this section will give you just a taste of what has become PVGP Race Week in southwestern Pennsylvania.

2006 PVGP Race Week Schedule

Kick-Off Rallye Sunday July 2 First car off at 12:01
Car enthusiasts match their driving skills against a "mystery course" through the streets of Pittsburgh. Starting at South Craig Street in Oakland.
Test & Tune at BeaveRun Friday, July 7, 2006
Vintage drivers get a chance to practice on the BeaveRun track. $150 for the day. Details
PVGP Historic Races at BeaveRun Weekend July 8 & 9 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
PVGP Historic Race Weekend held at BeaveRun present a variety of vintage (pre 1960) and historic (after 1960) racing along with related activities at BeaveRun MotorSports Complex in Beaver Falls, PA

VRG Sanctioned Race Groups
Group 1: Small Bore Production Cars (MG TD, Alfa Romeo, Sprite, Abarth) and selected others
Group 2: Medium-bore Production and pre-1960 Big-bore (Allard, Jaguar XK140, MGB, TR4, Porsche)
Group 3: Open-wheel and Sports-racing cars (Formula Ford, Lotus 22 & 23, Elva Mk VII)
Group 4: American Ground Pounders and Big-bore Production Cars (Mustang, Corvette, Cobra, GT40)
Group 5: BMW/Porsche Challenge
Group 6: Jaguar Marque of the Year Race
Steel Cities SCCA Solo II Autocross July 8 & 9 Weekend at BeaveRun
The Steel Cities Region of the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) hosts an all weekend Autocross. Registration is from 8:30 until 9:30 and competition runs from 10:00 am until 5:00 pm. Cost $75.00 for the weekend includes event entry, gate pass, dinner and T-shirt. Details
“Black Tie & Tailpipes” Gala Saturday July 8, 6:30 pm – 11:00 pm
The Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix will host our annual black tie party at the Fox Chapel Golf Club, benefiting the PVGP charities. Reservations required - $150 per person. Details
Invitational Car Show on Walnut Street Monday July 10, 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Nestled on Shadyside’s charming Walnut Street view a sampling of rare, classic and exotic cars. Show cars by invitation, free to spectators.
PVGP Car Cruise Tuesday July 11, 4:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Join us at the Waterfront located in Historic Homestead and see even more cars of all marques.
Downtown Pittsburgh Car Display Wednesday July 12, 11:00 am– 2:00 pm
Shows will be held at PPG Plaza and the U.S. Steel Building. Please contact Rich Spring or Jerry Longstreth, info on CONTACT page.
Bossa Nova Roars Wednesday July 12, 6:00 pm– 9:00 pm
A special happy hour downtown at Bossa Nova on 7th Street. $30 per person for tapas and cocktails. More details to follow
PVGP Tune-Up Night at the Hard Rock Cafe Thursday July 13, 7:00 pm
Join us at the Hard Rock Cafe in Station Square as we tune-up for Race Weekend. Featuring several rare cars on display outside the Hard Rock and 3-4 bands performing to raise money for our charities.
Schenley Park Car Shows and Race Qualifying - Saturday July 15
Schenley Park Combined Car Shows & British Car Day - 11:00 am – 4:00 pm
Classic, antique, and exotic vehicles including British, American, German, Japanese, and Italian.

Vintage Race Practice and Qualifying Heats - 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Saturday, July 15, 2006
6:30 AM to 2:00 PM - Driver/Crew Worker Registration
8:00 AM to 12:00 PM - Technical Inspections

CARS ON TRACK 8:15 AM Practice
VSCCA Sanctioned Race Groups:
– Pre War (Pre 1941) and MG/MGT
– Under 1 Litre and Preservation (Pre 1960)
– Sports Racers and Formula Junior
– Small Bore thru ’65, Modified and H Production
– Over 2 Litres (Pre 1960)
– Under 2 Litres and Preservation
– Jaguar Marque Race

6:30 PM Driver, Crew & PVGP Volunteer Party at Hospitality Tent at Start/Finish,
compliments of the PVGP. Dinner, refreshments and music.

Schenley Park Race Day - Sunday, July 16.

7:00 AM Sunday Services – Pavilion behind Timing & Scoring at Start/Finish
7:00 AM to 11:00 AM Crew/Worker Registration
8:15 AM to 10:15 AM 15 Minute Warm-up Practice
10:30 AM to 11:45 AM Opening Ceremonies
Parade laps by Marque of the Year, Patron Parkers, Thunder Run, Sponsors and government officials.
11:00 AM MANDATORY Drivers Meeting VSCCA Tent in Paddock
12:00 to 5:00 PM 7 Races (8 lap races or 30 Minutes whichever comes first)
9:30 AM to 4:00 PM Larry Smith Memorial Car Show -
Featuring the best from Saturday's car shows, honoring fellow volunteer on the clubhouse side of the golf course.

This is an amazing event that I have been attending since birth and my dad has been since the start of it. If your a car person you will love this event, you name it and it will be there. Germans, exotics, american muscle cars, british cars, kit cars, motorcycles, and even a hot air balloon for rides. This is the country's largest vintage car meet and race. Please come and support the italian section!!!

*** LINK***http://www.pvgp.org/pvgp/site/default.asp

Last edited by M635dude; 04-30-2006 at 10:30 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2006, 10:03 AM

here's a few pics from the racing.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2006, 10:06 AM

llllllllllllllllllll
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2006, 10:08 AM

lllllllllllllllllllllllll
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2006, 10:10 AM

And some from the shows.

who can spot the ss??
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2006, 05:29 PM

distance

do you think its realistic to go to the festivale from ny? im a member of the VSCCA and would consider the event, just seems kind of far? it is a long weekend of some sorts?
elad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-30-2006, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elads
do you think its realistic to go to the festivale from ny? im a member of the VSCCA and would consider the event, just seems kind of far? it is a long weekend of some sorts?
elad
Well I cant be the one to say if its to far or not. But, if your a car person, and love all differnet types of cars, then this is one of the best shows in the country that I know of that will give you a little bit of everything. Racing, shows, people, vendors. I'd easily make the trip if I were you. People come from all over the place, my friend brings in his trailer from CT and raises his car there. But there is plenty to do the entire weekend, saterday is the car show, they have every marque that you can think of, and during the show they are doing the time trials for the race cars. Then on sunday is the actual races. They close off parts of the park and have the cars race through the park on actual roads, this isnt a race track. There are different classes that race, and I gaurentee you that you'll see a bunch of alfas out there. The other great thing is that your allowed into the pitts and you can talk to the racers about there cars and everything like that. I'd really encourage you to try to make it down, and as far as being a far drive, arent alfas meant to be driven? lol and if we like cars we should all like to drive!!! haha Hope to see you there. - AW
Old 05-01-2006, 07:11 PM

Pvgp

Anyone who vintage races should do the PVGP.

It is one of those events you will never forget...the other events/tracks seem to blend over the years but Pittsburgh stands out. I have the luck to do the event 3 times and it was always a blast with great hospitality and wonderful cars.

Great photo's, 635 dude...I spoke to father on the phone about 25 years ago when I was a kid just starting in Alfa's.

Bavman25
10 BMW 6 series!
Old 05-01-2006, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavman25
Anyone who vintage races should do the PVGP.

It is one of those events you will never forget...the other events/tracks seem to blend over the years but Pittsburgh stands out. I have the luck to do the event 3 times and it was always a blast with great hospitality and wonderful cars.

Great photo's, 635 dude...I spoke to father on the phone about 25 years ago when I was a kid just starting in Alfa's.

Bavman25
10 BMW 6 series!
Haha thats awesome, yeah from what I've been told he was pretty active in the alfa community. And your right, it is a great event, and one that will always be remembered. I've been lucky to have only missed one year so far.

btw, you have 10 6 series?!?! we just sold an 85' euro M6 with 45k miles. They are such great cars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.