Cars and Coffee DC? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Cars and Coffee DC?

I know DC is not really much of a car town, but if a place like Omaha can have one of these, why not Washington? Seems like a fun way to spend a Sat morning

Cars and Coffee™ USA

Dan
78 Spider Veloce

Former "vintage" cars: 74 Fiat 124 Spider (first car); 70 Volvo 164 ("the tank"); 74 Datsun 260Z (only started on fire once); 80 Honda Civic wagon; 89 Saab 900; 71 MGB ('Blue B')
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 04:32 AM

not sure what I'm looking at...your link just shows another car Bulletin Board type forum on the internet....which is what we have here on Alfa BB if folks would pay attention to the Capital area section

what am I missing here?

'74 GTV, '64 2600 Spider
www.Alfa-Owners.org
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

If you click on the starred locations, you'll see photos and info about a weekly gathering in each of these cities where car nuts gather for coffee and gawk at cars, etc. The one in Irvine, Calif., (Los Angeles area) was I think the first one and is somewhat renowned. I just thought the idea of a regular place where you could drive over on a nice Saturday to gawk at cool cars was interesting.

Here's a site dedicated to the Irvine event: http://irvine.carsandcoffee.info/

Dan
78 Spider Veloce

Former "vintage" cars: 74 Fiat 124 Spider (first car); 70 Volvo 164 ("the tank"); 74 Datsun 260Z (only started on fire once); 80 Honda Civic wagon; 89 Saab 900; 71 MGB ('Blue B')

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 07:29 AM

find a venue and it can happen!

we've got car clubs around (not that they interact very much right now)
who could kick things off...

'74 GTV, '64 2600 Spider
www.Alfa-Owners.org
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 08:03 AM

Glad you posted that dcalfa...........I'm in Omaha and didn't know we had such a thing. They have a fourm too.

Murray Darkside Member
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 02:16 PM

DCALFA:

why don't you get the ball rolling....maybe start with an Alfa cars/coffee meeting once a month since we've got an email list we can use, we're making more improvements to the DC Chapter website, we've got the Convention coming up...all good signs for participation & enthusiasm..... see if some folks respond then expand to Fiat, MG clubs etc....

'74 GTV, '64 2600 Spider
www.Alfa-Owners.org
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Full time job, wife, two kids, new puppy, two cats and a temperamental Italian car...and you want me to set up coffee klatches too?! ;-)

Seriously, it is something to ponder. (I also confess I have yet to even get on the stick with joining AROC, so I may not be the best candidate for this sort of organizational thing!)

Your idea is also good to start with vintage car clubs. The "Cars and Coffee" thing is a little hard to figure out--it looks like a snazzy corporate sponsored type thing, but the website offers no real details about who's "behind" it all. The original one in Irvine started in a grassroots way as far as I can tell from web accounts.

Dan
78 Spider Veloce

Last edited by dcalfa; 11-26-2009 at 04:45 PM.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 05:16 PM

well, hopefully the temperamental car can be sorted out...cats, dog, wife and kids another story.

problem with DC area is that there's no natural "cruise in" places, like drive ins etc....also things are a bit more "high-society" than in many communities...

Ferrrari/Maserati of Washington (out near Dulles) used to host a fair number of events that Alfa people could come to but they've changed ownership and personnel, and don't seem interested in doing much these days.....

I don't see other dealers stepping up....they want to sell new cars and don't see the value in "heritage" events. To some degree they are right in not putting a lot of $$ into the vintage crowd..... not much ROI for them.

I guess that's why the car clubs are so important to the vintage owner...there's no alternative. I think the AROC local club does a pretty credible job for the Alfa crowd....I joined about 4 yrs ago and now have 2 Alfas and get involved in some of the organizing
work. But, there's so many things competing for everyone's time these days....kids, soccer, business functions, school, oh...work too.

hopefully you can get to one of the local events at some point....

'74 GTV, '64 2600 Spider
www.Alfa-Owners.org

Last edited by D&SW; 11-26-2009 at 05:39 PM.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcalfa View Post
... (I also confess I have yet to even get on the stick with joining AROC, ...) ...
You shouldn't wait too long... The national AROC convention is taking place in Frederick, MD in June 2010... The last time the convention took place in your neck of the woods was in 1993 - and at this coming gathering, the club will be celebrating Alfa's 100th anniversary!

Best regards,

Enrique
[SIZE="1"]Spider 74, 84 & 87
Milano 88 Verde
164 91S, 93L & 95Q[/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][I][COLOR="Green"]Member of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE]
[B][FONT="Verdana"][RIGHT]DARKSIDE MEMBER[/RIGHT][/FONT][/B]
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 10:31 AM

I might add that there is no particular reason for you to "affiliate" with Cars and Coffee, per se. The local Lambo club started a regular Saturday morning gathering in the Seattle area, and word spread quickly through the Euro car community. Similar to C&C, just by a different name.

[I]"It's the best in class by default, because it's the only thing in its class." [/I]
~Richard Hammond on the Alfa 4C

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[I][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Gordy Hyde[/FONT][/B][/I]
AROC-USA Secretary
Home chapter - NWARC
1971 Junior Zagato 1750 (1800605)
1974 Spider 2000 Iniezione (no carbs)
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 06:51 PM

I live out near Dulles airport, we got LOTS of places with big, honking parking lots. I tried to gather folks up for the weekend cruise at the local Chik-fil-a, but I didn't follow through and nothing happened. That said, the Starbucks at the Clocktower shopping center is a free-standing coffee shop in the middle of a wide-open parking lot. Ain't nobody crowding around on any particular morning. You want a location to show cars, it really doesn't get much better. Anyone want more details, let me know. There's a 71 spider and an 88 Milano that'll show up with bells on.

1971 1750 Spider, 1988 Milano Verde
Alfa Romeo Spider FAQ Author
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 07:20 PM

for quickie meet-ups of small groups, the Starbucks/ chic-fil lots are fine; the difficulty is with anything sizable, or if it becomes a regular public event (like Coffee & Cars); there are liability, safety and crowd "loitering" issues. I have a feeling that the Irvine group started informally, then got in trouble, probably with some police & safety issues and Ford (I think) bailed them out by providing approval to use their lot and making sure there was some kind of police presence (referenced in the Irvine info)

I would be ecstatic if you could find a company to sponsor a general meet-up in the DC area;

With Alfa Club events, liability is a minimal issue as insurance coverage is part of AROC membership...part of the dues we pay.

If you've got an Alfa, I'd recommend you sign up just for that benefit alone.....plus the National Convention in Frederick in June, plus some pretty good events thru the year.,...

If you're already a member, perhaps you might pick up where you left off ("never followed through.....") and pull something together.....How about it?

'74 GTV, '64 2600 Spider
www.Alfa-Owners.org
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Yes, yes! I will definitely follow through on the Alfa club.

My point, however, was that the concept of a much broader gathering--everything from vintage Brit to Italian exotics to tuners to oddball--seemed unique and very appealing. I love my Alfa (to the point that I'm not sure I'd buy any other vintage brand for myself in the near future) but I also like many other vintage cars, especially almost anything European from the 50s/60s/70s era. It would be neat to have a place to gander at all that variety regularly--to be able to ogle a DS or 2CV in person without having to seek out the nearest Citroen meeting, for instance.

I meant the post just to make the observation that it seems a metro area this large should be able to support an event like that. But I agree location seems particularly difficult in the DC area the way it's laid out, the general air of NIMBYism, etc.

Dan
78 Spider Veloce

post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 08:18 PM

I think Phil Knight's group coined the phrase.....

Just DO IT!!!!!

(Iron out the details later)

[I]"It's the best in class by default, because it's the only thing in its class." [/I]
~Richard Hammond on the Alfa 4C

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[I][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Gordy Hyde[/FONT][/B][/I]
AROC-USA Secretary
Home chapter - NWARC
1971 Junior Zagato 1750 (1800605)
1974 Spider 2000 Iniezione (no carbs)
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 05:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to ecohen2 Send a message via Yahoo to ecohen2 Send a message via Skype™ to ecohen2
I am more than willing to help and am involved in several car clubs. Send me a PM with an email address and let me know what you need.

In addition to car clubs, I know several shops that might be interested in donating either space or something toward getting this going...

Ed

Other cars include: 1976 Lancia Scorpion
2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode