Hi, Bit of an update on the Alfa, I moved to a bigger unit last month, as I previously depended heavily on the weather for light and my generator to power tools and welder. So when the genset crapped out I bit the bullet and moved into this bigger unit. And while there, I am fixing the rust on my 1982 volvo 240 also.
Rust on the fender mounting rails, there is the option below.
but Itís just too expensive to ship to NZ. So I am just rebuilding mine section by section, unfortunately every time I grind one part down it just reveals more rust. The driverís side on mine only needed the top and inner side reconstructed.
Unfortunately not so lucky with the passenger side. So it is being done in two parts due to the slight arch on the top.
Also if you see in the first pic. I did the windscreen bottom channel so it overlaps on the fender lip for the water to flow, rather than when they did it at the factory where the channel -end got sandwiched under the fender allowing water to get into the seam and eventually rust. Of course that would have been a stronger design as the two sections are welded together. I will do the same when I weld on the bonnet catch rod mounting angle.
The rust at the bottom of the windscreen was bad on both sides, they have been repaired with good steel but not too sure about the finish. This ****ty welder I have keeps burning holes, forcing me to fill the holes . I might consider cutting them out and redoing them again depending on how much I have to grind down to avoid slapping on too much filler to smooth it out.
I have so far spent all my time doing the front of the car so I can get the windscreen fitted.
Still have to have both the rear wings removed to tidy the inside, and also the edges of the wing.
I also have the hatch to repair and the bottom and top edges of the boot.
Pics of my Volvo, my first car, the Alfa being my 12th. This one is getting the windscreen bottoms , sills and boot edges/channels repaired too.