Alfa Romeo Forums banner

WTB (In Australia) 1750 GTV steering wheel

4K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Laurie 
#1 ·
Hello all, long time.

I am in need of a Hellebore 1750 series 1 steering wheel. It needs to be in good nick in terms of not having any major cracks, I am happy to renovate the finish of the wood. I dont mind if its got no centre cover either.

PM me or give me a call, 0410 541 750

Many thanks

Ben

#5 ·
What's the difference between a coupe and a berlina one?? just out of curiosity as I have 2 berlina ones

#7 ·
Yeah I had a 1750 Berlina wheel lying around and fitted to my GTV when it was away getting french polished. The Berlina wheel that I had was a nasty thin black affair that hurt your hands to hold especially after you being used to a nice Hellebore wooden wheel. Ben I thought your GTV already had a wooden wheel ?

#8 ·
Yeah ofcourse, my car has a wooden wheel, but it has a rather MASSIVE crack from about 11 o'clock to about 1 o'clock and you can see daylight through it...

I have removed it from the car and i'm running the wheel off my old Giulia Super on it. The over all diameter of the Giulia wheel isn't much bigger (perhaps 15mm) but its enough for your fingers to run into your thighs when its fitted in the GT. Kinda cool though, another small piece of my Giulia Super hitting the road again!

#9 ·
Ben, I've got a wheel, can't remember if it's Hellebore or Personal, but it's a GTV wheel. I bought it as a spare as I want to get the original one from the GTV refinished. It's on the car at the moment. The timber needs refinishing but there are no major cracks, only a few small hairline ones.

#10 ·
Hey Ben,,,italiansedanman.

I have been reading the posts for a while and was waiting to see if you found a steering wheel.
Would you consider one woth No cracks and needs restaining and polishing ?
Yes,its the correct wheel,shallow dish ,Hellebore.For a 1750.
2 litre wheels are deeper dish.
The difference is = 1750 has longer steering shaft and shallow dish.
The 2 litre has deep dish and shorter steering shaft,and is usually a Personal wheel.
They are both interchangeable,but some like the originality.
I can find you a steering wheel with cracks and lots of work to do if you like,but mine has NO cracks.

Robert

#14 · (Edited)
Hey Ben

Thought i would post a picture of the steering wheel.
The third pic is the difference in height between a 2 litre and a 1750 steering wheels.
Just found out I have 5 = 2 litre wheels hanging up.
Amazing what can be found when you have a look.

Robert

#17 ·
Thanls for the info guys, never knew there was so much difference between them. Just looked at my Berlina wheels and they are both Personel so no use anyway lol. On a similar note, does anybody know where I can get a boss kit for a Berlina? I need one for the rally car, thanks.

#20 ·
Ben if your old wheel is just delaminating, I think if you find a really good furniture restorer he could resolve that issue for you and polish your wheel as well. My wheel was doing this and my restorer was able to resolve the issue no problems. My wheel is now perfect. If you want I can ask my restorer if he wants to do another one ? I am sure it will be less expensive than buying a another one which you will only have to polish anyway.

Yeah looking at the 2000 wheel, I gotta say to me it is one of the many less endearing elements of the 2000 which lets you know that the 1750 was the zenith of 105 coupe design, and all downhill from there. Just my two cents.

#21 ·
The wheel also has cracks in it, but given the cost of a replacement I have injected a two-part epoxy into the cracks and I have them clamped at the moment.

There are numerous threads on the BB regarding wheel refurbishment so I am going to tackle it myself. So long as the cracks bond properly and the finish is okay i'll put it back on... If not, i'll find a replacement.

Once i've done that, i'll take care of the dash facades and we'll be done!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.