Alfas for Sale in Australia - Page 8 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 03-11-2007, 08:55 PM

Spotted this beauty on ebay...Seems to be no shortage of 105's on the market ,thats for sure.

Link

[B][I]Wishing[/I][/B]
Scalino
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2007, 09:00 PM

I reckon this would be more interesting... still, not about to pay 14K for it but Id love to take a close look.

http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/AL...&pp=6&d=0&nv=1
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-11-2007, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by py105 View Post
I reckon this would be more interesting... still, not about to pay 14K for it but Id love to take a close look.

http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/AL...&pp=6&d=0&nv=1
14K for an Alfetta, no thanks.
1970 1750 GTV s2, Verde Olivo Metallica (AR213)
2005 Holden Rodeo LT Crew Cab, Fox Fire Red

{Oo==V==oO}

Previously owned
1983 Ford Laser KB, Beige
1985 Volvo 360 GLT Dark Mettalic Blue
1970 GT Junior stepnose Resprayed Red, Giallo Ochre
1923 Amilcar Sports, rusty
I may only own two ALFAs now, but the handle stays as I am always chasing another one.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozza View Post
Spotted this beauty on ebay...Seems to be no shortage of 105's on the market ,thats for sure.

Link
Yeah, thats a fantastic looking car.
It was on ebay a month or so ago im pretty certain, passed in at around $9000 or so.
Looks like it'll be sold this time around
Old 03-12-2007, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azza View Post
Yeah, thats a fantastic looking car.
It was on ebay a month or so ago im pretty certain, passed in at around $9000 or so.
Looks like it'll be sold this time around
It looks very original to me,i'm surprised its not fetching more.

[B][I]Wishing[/I][/B]
Scalino
Old 03-12-2007, 01:23 AM

I wouldnt call it original by any stretch of the imagination but it'd sure be a nice car for someone and quite good value too.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:15 AM

They're both nice cars, and I think someone has some sentimental value invested in that Alfetta. There cant be anything else that would inspire an asking price like that!!

Shame about the wheels on the step-front.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:17 AM

51000 original Kms though? I love original low mileage cars tenfold more than restored or refurbished. I'd pay up to 10K for it if I had that kinda money, but not 14K. Wait a few months and see what they're asking
Old 03-12-2007, 02:57 PM

Theres a guy up the road from my workshop, who has a 1750 engine and gearbox in his 1956 MGA roadster, apparently fitted some 20 years ago,cracking fit and the cars bloody quick!
Old 03-12-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
Theres a guy up the road from my workshop, who has a 1750 engine and gearbox in his 1956 MGA roadster, apparently fitted some 20 years ago,cracking fit and the cars bloody quick!
Hey I could try that one, I have an MGA 1600 with a stuffed engine and I also have a rough Sprint GT with a perfect 1600 Alfa engine, I should make a Anglo/Italian Frankenstein

{Oo==V==oO}

Previously owned
I may only own two ALFAs now, but the handle stays as I am always chasing another one.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
Hang on !!!! This is bloody interesting but how did we get onto this tangent here ?????

{Oo==V==oO}

Previously owned
Old 03-13-2007, 03:41 AM

Well, MG wanted a twin-cam MGA. They tried it, it was a bit of a disaster, so perhaps they should have used our twink from the beginning!!
Old 03-13-2007, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiansedanman View Post
Well, MG wanted a twin-cam MGA. They tried it, it was a bit of a disaster, so perhaps they should have used our twink from the beginning!!

Yeah its a shame about the MGA Twin Cam engine. Indulge me here and let me tell you what went wrong.
Back ground:

The Pre-war MG company, which by the way I regard very much as the UK counterpart of ALFA ROMEO in terms of its Motor Sport prowess. MG was a maker of very fine Single Over Head Cam engines which throughout the 1920's-1930's when combined with a supercharger and preselecter gearboxes (think selespeed but way better) allowed MG racing cars to punch well above their weight and mix it with the likes of ALFA and Bugatti. Cars like the Q type and the R Type were highly advanced thorobreds, NA Magnettes and Magnas kicked *** in the Mille Miglia and even Nuovolari drove one to victory at the Tourist trophy. MG also designed and ran speed record breakers, not the giant landspeed cars the likes of the Bluebird and the Golden Arrow but small 1100 cc versions that broke class land speeds.

After the war MG was pumping out as many sportscars as the postwar world especially the US could buy, but they were producing fairly boring mainstream production models based along the lines of the prewar T series. These T series cars were fitted with a very unsophisticated but somewhat "sporty" 1250 XPAG OHV engines with Twin SU Carbs. There was not the money, the time or the support to go back to the glory days of the Q and R types, Le Mans and Brooklands victories. So the OHV XPAG engines ruled.

Come 1954, the TF which was the third warmed over version of the T series post war has just been given a 1500 CC makeover, but sales have slumped thanks to the introduction of the fast sexy modern Austin healeys and TR2's. MG need to do something fast, they borrowed from a sleek experimental record breaker from 1952 and an MG Le mans special from 1953 and presto enter the MGA, one of the popular sportscars of all time.

The MG had an Austin B series engine, which was the new workhorse 4 cylinder for BMC at he time. The MGA B series was a 1500 unit OHV fitted with Twin Su Carbs, the car was capable of making 96 mph.

Pretty basic stuff right ?

Le Mans:

June 1955 : MG enters three prototype MGAs in the ill fated 1955 Le Mans 24 hours. all 3 cars are standard push rod 1500 CC engines, but MG have been experimenting with a twin cam heads they try an unit based on the Austin B series block that they are already using in push rod form in the MGA and they also try out a Morris block. The Austin B series wins out in trials but it is too late to get a car ready for Le Mans that year.

Development continues, but it is nearly 3 years before MG release the MGA Twin Cam production car. Advanced for 1958 with a sweet twin cam unit, 4 wheel disc bakes (which ALFA did not have until the Giulia) and steel disc wheels that look like they cam straight off a Le Mans winnning D Type Jag, 115 mph 0 to 60 in 9.0 seconds. Everything sweet right ??

Wrong

The MGA Twin Cam starts giving trouble from the start, warranty claims are causing massive head aches for the company as "Twinnies " come in from around the globe with complaints of conrods ventillating piston crowns etc etc etc. meanwhile on the race track the MGA Twin Cam is kicking *** in its class on both sides of the pond at Le Mans and Sebring. Why ? What is it about the works maintained twinnies that is reliable and why are street versions so troublesome??

Well it took em two years to sus it out and by then it was too late. You see the Compression ratio was way to high to cope with the fuels of the time. In the late 50's one couldn't be sure that you could get High Octane 100 Ron fuel everywhere and it was a combination of this and the way to high Compression ratio that was the issue. in 1960 they reduced the comp ratio slightly and what do you know no more hassles. It was too late, the bad reputation stuck, only 2166 MG A Twin Cams were ever made and MG drop the idea of making a Twin Cam version of the replacemnet to the A the MG B.

The long and the short of it was that the Twin Cam MG A failed because it didn't have anywhere near the development time, budget or commitment that a twin cam engined required from Scratch. In contrast that wonderful engine that we know and love so well in either 1300, 1600, 1750 or 2000 cc form had a hell of a long development time and as most of us are 105 drivers know that engine was around since 1954 a good 9 years at least before any of our cars saw it. So good that it was still being used through the Alfetta up till the end of the old spiders series. What a shame MG didn't take a leaf out of ALFAs book.

Still the MGA TWIN CAM is a very rare and desirable car these days, worth big bucks and a real buzz to drive. A Twiny driven in anger is a wonderful thing and the road equivalent of flying a Spitfire. I wish I owned one. The engine is a work of art but such a ***** to maintain compared to our superb creation from Milan.
Attached Images

{Oo==V==oO}

Previously owned

Last edited by Threealfas; 03-14-2007 at 03:38 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiansedanman View Post
Yeah shame about the Twin Cam A. Strangely enough it was a Twin Cam A that reintroduced me to 105s and got me interested enough to go out and get one ( well three actually). I was working in the UK and thinking about buying a car, I was looking through Classic and Sportscar for a suitable ride and happened upon an MGA Twin Cam for sale in Oxford, I have always wanted one and always was frustrated by how gutless the regular A was. I had arranged to go and see it and on the day I was due to get there some drama came up that put a stop to it, by the time I could get free to see it the Twin Cam was gone. I then remembered what a pain in the *** they were to keep running and decided it was a crazy idea and dropped the idea, but I couldn't get the words Twin Cam Engine out of my head. Then I remembered the 1750 GTV that my uncle had when I was a kid and my attempt at 17 to buy a 105 bertone and getting blocked by my dad. That's right they have a TWIN CAM ENGINE and a bloody good one at that and even better, they are well designed and look the business. Well you know the rest.

{Oo==V==oO}

Previously owned
Old 03-13-2007, 12:49 PM

And did you know,with a little modification 1750 pistons fit MGA Twincams!!----they should have went out and bought an Alfa engine and copied it,just like Triumph did----

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.