Alfas for Sale in Australia - Page 15 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 04-06-2007, 02:11 PM

When I got into the Alfa club in the early 90's, my '74 2000GTV was passe as 1600s and 1750s were the go. Now, 2000s are popular and people are STARTING to look at chrome bumber Alfettas. Sooner or later, nuovas will also pick up in value and we could look back at top quality cars for $x,000 and wish we had of stashed a few away (admit that at $23K he's dream'n).[/QUOTE]

You're very right.

There are sillier things to do now, than get a half-decent, original chrome bumper car and moth ball it. They're now elligible for historic reg in Australia and there will come a time when we wonder what happened to the prices. Look at 105s now!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2007, 05:14 AM

Good point fella's. The post '82 black bumpered cars were the first to feature any real attempt at rustproofing (zincanealed I think?), so they hold together pretty well, even despite all the plastic bits collecting mud and moisture etc. The earlier cars all rusted easily, so a well kept orignal one is both rare and getting rarer.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-08-2007, 04:22 AM

From what I recall, the zinc only extended up the panels a few inches. The problem is that the rust which really consigns an Alfetta coupe to the grave is that forming in the base of the A-pillars. This area is a mix of multi-level complex curves which is (almost) impossible to replicate in steel.

Even the 'shock tower' area is rebuildable, at a price.

Here's a sedan I prepared earlier............http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/show...t=beatle_bayly

The construction of the coupe and sedan are very similar.

I still have the sectioned pillar somewhere (for training purposes).

As bad as this car was, the sills were nearly perfect.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:24 PM

trouble is, over here ,the the best one on the planet,still not worth a penny, compered to the giulia 105 series cars,there steadly going up in value all the time,even the saloons,sorry \sedans.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
trouble is, over here ,the the best one on the planet,still not worth a penny, compered to the giulia 105 series cars,there steadly going up in value all the time,even the saloons,sorry \sedans.
Patience my caped crime fighting friend.

While I think a 105 will always sell for more than a 116 in a like for like comparison, that just means you can buy a better 116 now and enjoy a greater proportional gain when the market perceptions change.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:10 AM

Beatle, nice work. I will bet you got sick of listening to that angle grinder.

What year was that one?

What do you reckon is happening there? Water sitting under the windscreen seal in the chanel creating the original problem? Why does it start?
Old 04-09-2007, 06:45 AM

The poor soul was a '76 1800cc sedan. She was to be a donor for a Clubman project that is yet to materialise.

In my opinion, the reasons for rust in the base of the A-pillar are:

1. Lack of paint/finish on the internal structure. There is also a complete absence of seam-sealer.

2. Poor quality steel.

3. Bad design. ie: lots of water traps, coupled with many pieces of metal in contact with each other. IIRC I counted at least 5 pieces of sheetmetal all terminating in this area.

4. Crap from the vent plenum adds corrosive sap etc to the mix.

5. Crap off the front tyres ends up in the same place as in para 4 above. Pull the inner splash shields and take a look. This cavity extends all the way up into the A-pillar

6. I also believe this area suffers quite a bit of mechanical stress from body flex, adding to the onset and vigour of the corrosion.

This rust begins internally, so by the time it manifests at the base of the 'screen, or up the firewall behind those triangular bonnet-stop panels, it's ALWAYS pretty bad. Whenever you are inspecting an Alfetta based car, stick your head into the engine bay and look back toward the base of the pillars. Any lumps here mean WALK AWAY.

Everyone blames moisture getting under the windshield gasket. However, once you see how the area is constructed you see that this is of minor importance. Water does sit in this area, but a little rust in the outer skin alone is quite simple to fix. Besides, the same problem appears on gasketed (GTV) and glued-in (GT) screens with equal regularity.

Last edited by beatle_bayly; 04-09-2007 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:25 AM

1750 coupe with spoke wheels anyone ??

Aussie Ebay # 170100741590
Old 04-13-2007, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle_bayly View Post
1750 coupe with spoke wheels anyone ??

Aussie Ebay # 170100741590
They are Borranis Beatle. They were probably a factory option and funnily enough arco27 from this BB, has a 2000GTV in the same Pino Verde and also with Borranis. It was the 1973 Sydney Motor Show car and also had electric windows and leather from the factory.

I wouldn't be surprised if that car has a little bit of history.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:54 AM

Borranis or not Borannis, wire wheels are ugly ugly ugly on a 105 GT.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by py105 View Post
Borranis or not Borannis, wire wheels are ugly ugly ugly on a 105 GT.
I used to feel the same way, then after spending so long with arco's 2000 they've grown on me.

Still, I wouldn't ever choose them over stock steels for my own cars.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:07 AM

Where momo wheels a dealer option or true after market option in the early seventies thanks Jason
Old 04-13-2007, 04:02 AM

MOMO Vegas, although probably the most common wheel fitted to the 2000 105 series cars were aftermarket accessories. They were carried in Australia by some dealers, or at least that's my understanding and, I read in Classic and Sportscar a few years ago that they were the only after-market wheel approved by the factory.

This might be true, but I cant think of any other wheels that could be considered "factory" other than Campanatura Turbinas. SO, is this a reason for a new thread?
Old 04-13-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiansedanman View Post
MOMO Vegas, although probably the most common wheel fitted to the 2000 105 series cars were aftermarket accessories. They were carried in Australia by some dealers, or at least that's my understanding and, I read in Classic and Sportscar a few years ago that they were the only after-market wheel approved by the factory.

This might be true, but I cant think of any other wheels that could be considered "factory" other than Campanatura Turbinas. SO, is this a reason for a new thread?
um I think you'll find 'campanatura' means offset in Italian - its not a wheel manufacturer (common misunderstanding) .

The Turbina were a 'factory' wheel - as featured in the brochures (but still fitted by the dealer - they all came on the boat with steelies), where as the Vega were a dealer fit supplied via a place in Melb whose name escapes me - Autotek maybe (guessing? - think they also handled Recaro seats...?)
(info from when my old man bought our 2000GTV back in the day).

Agree on wire wheels - don't think they suit 105s. Not sure why. They look like sex on Ferraris and Jags, but look odd on Alfas (?)
Old 04-13-2007, 06:26 PM

gtv27: Roman Auto-tek handles MOMO and Recaro imports and distribution I believe, and have done for some time.

Maybe ben meant to say Campagnolo...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.