Source for vintage Blau speaker plugs? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Source for vintage Blau speaker plugs?

Finally received my vintage 60s Balupunkt Frankfurt

First this I noticed is that the speaker jacks on the unit are an odd, small female plug. Any idea what the male plug is called which plugs into the female jacks? And, if they're not at the local electronics store, where they can be found

Thanks,
-Peter

1966 Giulia Super (current)
1966 Giulia Super (R.I.P.)
1967 GTV (R.I.P.)
1955 1900CSS (R.I.P.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 12:38 PM

Is this what you're looking for?

Ersatzteile Blaupunkt Lautsprecherstecker Blaupunkt

-Jason

Jason Arrington
1989 Spider driver
1974 Spider restoration project
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 03:32 AM

I think that the Europeans use the DIN (Deutsches Institut für Normung) standard throughout, in which case the plugs you need are 2-pin DIN plugs. Your local electrical store should stock them. I've attached a photo of what I think are the sockets to which you refer. Let me know it this is correct or not.
Regards,
Chris
Attached Images

1970 1750 GTV
1957 Giulietta Spider

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Here's two photos of the back of my Frankfurt. Jarrington, the plugs you show on the German website look like they'd work...but would only be for one mono speaker? How do I get two stereo speakers wired into this receiver...or maybe I can't

Also, what is the smaller male spade connector on the left of the top photo (below) for?

Thanks for the leads, BTW!
Attached Images

1967 GTV (R.I.P.)
1955 1900CSS (R.I.P.)
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 03:43 PM

I believe Blaupunkt Frankfurt was Mono only - if you use the Blaupunkt plug referred to above just put a splitter after it and have Mono sound from multiple speakers.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleggerita View Post
I believe Blaupunkt Frankfurt was Mono only - if you use the Blaupunkt plug referred to above just put a splitter after it and have Mono sound from multiple speakers.
Aha! Thanks.

Maybe I'll go the full-vintage route and have one mono speaker at the factory speaker grille next to the ashtray...for now.

1967 GTV (R.I.P.)
1955 1900CSS (R.I.P.)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 09:29 PM

That's my plan. I've got a real live '67 Blaupunkt Stuttgart, which is just like the Frankfurt but without FM. Old-skool!

-Jason

Jason Arrington
1989 Spider driver
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 09:30 PM

Oh, and smaller spade connector - maybe automatic antenna? Does it give you 12V hot when the radio power is turned on?

-Jason

Jason Arrington
1989 Spider driver
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:10 PM

The photos I took were of the rear connectors on my Frankfurt, a stereo model that dates from about 1971/72. It uses the 2-pin DIN sockets & plugs for the speaker output, as does the Becker Europa I've also got in the shed somewhere, though it is mono. The banana type plugs look as they are the go for your radio - one for the nominal +ve and the other for the -ve (or earth) connections.
The other issue with these radios is that the European models only tuned FM from about 88MHz to 104MHz, so you miss the top end of the modern FM range. I believe that the US (and Oz) models of the period covered the entire FM band in mono initially then later in stereo.
My Frankfurt also has a small spade connector which supplies a switched +ve 12V supply for an automatic antenna. Yours may be the same - a voltmeter will tell you.
Under the plastic plug should be a 6-pin DIN socket (7-pin in the stereo models) for the optional cassette player. This can be used to wire up an MP3 player, CD player etc. I've attached wiring diagrams for these plugs that I downloaded from a French site at ANTIQUE CAR RADIO MADNESS
Hope this is of some use to you,
Chris
Attached Images

1970 1750 GTV
1957 Giulietta Spider
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1750 View Post
The photos I took were of the rear connectors on my Frankfurt, a stereo model that dates from about 1971/72. It uses the 2-pin DIN sockets & plugs for the speaker output, as does the Becker Europa I've also got in the shed somewhere, though it is mono. The banana type plugs look as they are the go for your radio - one for the nominal +ve and the other for the -ve (or earth) connections.
The other issue with these radios is that the European models only tuned FM from about 88MHz to 104MHz, so you miss the top end of the modern FM range. I believe that the US (and Oz) models of the period covered the entire FM band in mono initially then later in stereo.
My Frankfurt also has a small spade connector which supplies a switched +ve 12V supply for an automatic antenna. Yours may be the same - a voltmeter will tell you.
Under the plastic plug should be a 6-pin DIN socket (7-pin in the stereo models) for the optional cassette player. This can be used to wire up an MP3 player, CD player etc. I've attached wiring diagrams for these plugs that I downloaded from a French site at ANTIQUE CAR RADIO MADNESS
Hope this is of some use to you,
Chris
Awesome, Chris; thanks! Yeah, my Frankfurt stops at 104Mhz, too, but it doesn't bother me.

I just love that I can have an electricly actuated antenna, but have FM in mono! I'll order the male connecter for the speaker jacks this weekend if the local electronics store doesn't stock the connecter.

1967 GTV (R.I.P.)
1955 1900CSS (R.I.P.)
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 03:29 PM

No problems - glad to be of some help.
Post some photos when the radio is installed in your car. I'd be interested in seeing them.
Ci vediamo,
Chris

1970 1750 GTV
1957 Giulietta Spider
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Post some photos when the radio is installed in your car. I'd be interested in seeing them.
Ci vediamo,
Chris

Well, yourself & Jarrington & Alleggerita are welcome to come over for a beer and hear it for yourself

1967 GTV (R.I.P.)
1955 1900CSS (R.I.P.)
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 08:21 PM

Thanks - if I'm ever in LA County I'll drop in though it'll be a bit of a hike as I "come from the land down under, where women glow and men chunder" as the song said ......
When I get my radio in my car I'll post a couple of photos.
Regards,
Chris

1970 1750 GTV
1957 Giulietta Spider
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Talking My Frankfurt is installed & working!

Quote:
Ci vediamo,
Chris

Well, radio is installed and working! Yep, radio IS mono only- the two speaker plugs are for positive and negative (not left and right), and that what I'd thought was the balance control is a tone control. I found some crimp-on single plugs in my toolbox which worked perfectly, so I avoided having to order an $8.00 (+/-) speaker plug from Germany.

Pretty-neat- Alfa provides a ground on the right side of the (Series 1 Giulia Super) ashtray- a threaded stud with nut on it- which I used in lieu of the negative plug on the back of the "stereo". I bought a length of Simpson bracket which I cut and drilled for the back radio support.

It was kinda fun to take a walk through memory lane by means of looking at my underdash wiring efforts of +/- 25 years ago Also, I remembered from way back then that reinstalling the ashtray/cigar lighter was a s*navab&tch, and I was right! I used an early 80's Kenwood speaker I had laying around in the factory dash speaker location, and voila- toe-tappin' AM and FM tunes. I couldn't get anything on the SW or LW bands from my (concrete block) garage, but now a road trip is in order to see what I can receive.

Thanks to all who provided advice and moral support. Photo coming soon..

1967 GTV (R.I.P.)
1955 1900CSS (R.I.P.)

Last edited by Il Vecchio; 05-27-2008 at 07:28 AM.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

The finished article

And here's them photos of the NOS Frankfurt in my dash. This calls for a drive to work today to play with reception on the LW ans SW bands!
Attached Images

1967 GTV (R.I.P.)
1955 1900CSS (R.I.P.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode