Does the 'temporary memory'... - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 11-20-2011, 07:15 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Does the 'temporary memory'...

...on a receiver/head unit always require power? I assume that it does. And going on that basis, if someone needs to remove the battery, will attaching the cables from a battery charger to the +/- cables suffice to keep the memory, umm, memorizing? I'll add that my charger is ancient but works well for basic charging.

Could it do damage, especially to a new receiver with add-ons which I assume will have numerous specific preference settings?

Actually I'm planning on getting a Harbor Freight battery jump starter which would probably work better for this.

To make it clear, the receiver would not be turned on.

Comments?

AlfaCyberSite.com
BibaRestorations.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to bshorey Send a message via MSN to bshorey Send a message via Yahoo to bshorey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biba69 View Post
...on a receiver/head unit always require power? I assume that it does. And going on that basis, if someone needs to remove the battery, will attaching the cables from a battery charger to the +/- cables suffice to keep the memory, umm, memorizing? I'll add that my charger is ancient but works well for basic charging.

Could it do damage, especially to a new receiver with add-ons which I assume will have numerous specific preference settings?

Actually I'm planning on getting a Harbor Freight battery jump starter which would probably work better for this.

To make it clear, the receiver would not be turned on.

Comments?
If you don't want to lose what's stored there, some do, some don't. If you are worried about such things as security codes and what not, then yes, you need to keep power to the unit.

A charger should work fine. Just be careful when you disconnect the battery to not let the POS lead touch the chassis.

bs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-20-2011, 08:21 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Mmm...I'm not sure if I'd use a charger for that application. I don't think a modern charger would even work: they base the charge rate off battery voltage, so if they don't sense a battery there they won't put out any volts.

They sell small battery powered devices that plug into the lighter socket to maintain the battery during service. Here's one for $8:

http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Memor.../dp/B000J4HHVM

1991 Spider
1987 Milano Gold
1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
Old 09-26-2013, 03:23 PM

Old thread, but you can just alligator clip a 9V battery to the battery terminals, watch the polarity. That is enough to retain the memory while changing the car's battery.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:40 PM
Gold Subscriber

Has anyone tried battery backup system that car alarm systems use? Basically its a rechargeable battery that keeps security system on in case thief disconnects terminals from car's battery. I am thinking about using this for car's stereo unswitched power and maybe for a gps tracking module... Any ideas?

https://www.google.com/search?q=back...battery+system

Refreshing 1970 Euro-spec GTV 1750 http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1...tv-1750-a.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.