Alfa Cup - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR4me View Post
Try out what? Standing or rolling start? Lobby for what - standing or rolling?
Jes
Quote:
Originally Posted by velooce View Post
For what is worth our race group Sovren is going to try out one race session at our May Spring Sprints event. By the the way the folks that lobby for this all have raced in New Zealand in the winter and think it the way to go?

John
Opps - We will be trying the standing start, in the past we have been succsessful with the Lemans starts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[FONT=Impact]1969 GTV Race Car[/FONT]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 05:00 PM

Interesting. Any mishaps during the (Lemans) starts?

Preferences probably depend a lot on "temperament" of the various organizations, and that may be difficult to communicate, without actual participation in the events.

Jes

87 Milano Verde - daily driver -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- SOLD
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car -
- SOLD
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car - Running again after 3 year hibernation...
(Repeating what I suggest or do, is at your own risk - be critical)
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 11:59 AM

From the first post in the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by italcarguy View Post
The purpose of this thread is to discuss, post videos, post pictures, and make suggestions to help make the Alfa Cup more enjoyable to participants and spectators.
Anthony's purpose is a noble one but some of it seems to have been lost along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by italcarguy View Post
With that said, what would Alfa Cup participants think about giving standing starts a shot? It would make for an interesting start because a lot of the full race cars up front have a tall first gear while a lot of the cars in the middle to back have stock gears. Just a thought and looking for opinions (good and bad).
I believe there is no single best way to run a race series. Consequently, I'm anxious to hear everyone's ideas, opinions and comments. If we can find something which will make the Alfa Cup series more fun for those who race in it, why not try. However, the Alfa Cup series is a series for the participants. Consequently, it will be their opinions which will weigh most heavily with respect to changes IF we elect to make any.

Bruce Colby - Street = '69 1750 GTV/TS; Track = '65 SGT/TS, '89 E30, '72 914/6
gone to new homes
- '71 Jr. Z, '69 1750 Spider, '62 Spider

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 04:49 PM

STANDING STARTS: Little to gain, much to lose. When I watch a F1 race, I always think how dumb it is to lose several competitors before the first turn. I am sure it appeals to the same people who watch racing just to see the wrecks.

INVERTED STARTS: I am not particularly in favor, but it should not present too much of a hazard in the Alfa Cup. HOWEVER, my experience in an open race at WS with inverted start convinced me that I don't want to do that again. There is too much of a disparity of performance, and too many fast cars trying to get to 1st place before turn 2.

David
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 08:35 PM

If you are intrested this is how we are going to try the Standing Start.

John
Attached Files
File Type: doc Standing Starts - Spring Sprints 2007 (2).doc (32.5 KB, 266 views)

[FONT=Impact]1969 GTV Race Car[/FONT]
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 09:39 PM

I would very much like to have a go with standing starts. My experience in Vintage Racing (both as a racer and as a starter) is that the starter is VERY reluctant to abort a rolling start, no matter how ratty the field.

This is because an aborted start is a very hazardous situation.

The result of this (appropriate) reluctance is that the field is always ragged and slingshot starts (yes, I mean You, Hector) are common.
I vote for a WIDELY SPACED grid and a standing start.
With lots of space on the grid, qualifying will still be very relevant, and stalls on the grid will be less hazardous.
Let's give it a try!

[FONT=Arial Black]OldMaster[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Rick Clemente[/FONT]
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 09:08 PM

Alfa Cup Starts

I second keeping the rolling starts and welcome the occasional reverse grid. We've done a couple reverse grids at Willow and they were pretty fun.....takes more skill in my opinion to make clean passes of the slower cars and work your way through the field.

Another grid could be to place the evil, more powerful V6 cars wayyyy back and the poor 4 culinder Alefttas up front

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Jim Ferris[/FONT]
Diamond Bar, CA
1976 Alfetta Track car / "The Orange Menace"
1974 Spider Project
1994 164 LS Project / Finally Running

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode