AROC Convention Planner's Thread - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

  #31 (permalink)  
Old 10-22-2007, 10:25 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chatsworth, Ca
Posts: 1,392
Hint for a good Convention

A parking lot/structure where we can all see each other's cars. That means open space with some decent lighting.
It is one of the focal points of the event.
Alfiesta, 2002 suffered because we could find NO acceptable hotel in the Los Angeles area that had enough open parking spaces (ala Portland) or an adaquate, nicely lit parking structure (ala Seattle). We ended up with a very nice Hilton Hotel with a orange lighted, narrow aisle parking structure.
It certainly causes the Hotel sales person some thought when your spec sheet starts out with "a nice parking lot with an attached hotel".
Oh, and fork out some bucks for T shirts, bags and stuff.
Have faith that we will show up and buy them. I know it did take us a year to unload the last of our shirts, and we certainly gave out a lot of patches as raffle prizes (1st place = 1 patch; 2nd place = 2 patches). But Alfiesta did show a profit.
Hey AROO, just give us the same as 2000. We had a blast! Can we still have the car wash again??!!
A hint for a successful Convention: Get a big committee organized about 18 months ahead. Draft, trick, lie a lot to get one or 2 new people involved. Give them an easy assignment, but get them involved. That will spread some of the misery around.
__________________
Paul Blankenship AROSC
76 Alfetta GT Time Trials and Wine Tours; 88 Milano - Daily Driver
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 10-23-2007, 08:06 AM
Alex Csank's Avatar
Senior Member
Gold Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ste. Anne de Bellevue QC (Canada)
Posts: 5,765
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex Csank
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Braden View Post
I understand the premise of rotating the convention to the different regions of the country; however, couldn't a case be made based on Alfa's centennial that another "exception" should be made or we could simply follow the established pattern of late: two in the midwest, two on the west coast, which would mean the next two would be in the east, and then resume the 1 a year in each region pattern. The "big" catch would be to get two clubs in the east or south to bid in 2011 and 2012.
It sounds like you want the 2010 convention to be held in CA, doesn't it? Is there a particular reason why the 2010 connvention should be held in CA as opposed to somewhere else? If you have specific reasons why it should be held in CA, that should be brought to the ARA and Delta Sierra, AROSC, Central California, San Diego and Orange County AROC Chapters' attention.

Certainly, almost anywhere in California is a great place for a convention (uh, except Malibu right now I guess!), but I believe that by moving them around, more folks get to attend conventions either bi-annually or at least every three years. The alternative would be to hold all conventions in one place like Lebanon, Kansas (geographical center of the lower 48 States). In any event, I believe that the ideal would be to rotate convention locations throughout the country just as is being done, provided there is a chapter willing to assume the responsibility of hosting.
__________________
Cheers,
'Alex' Sandor Csank

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro! - Hunter S. Thompson 1971
Bianco 1985 GTV6 "Tramontana" (North Wind)
President, Alfa Romeo Club of Canada & Club Alfa Romeo de Montréal
AROC USA, ARCC & CARM Social Media Chair (Facebookie)

Member: A.O.N.E., St. Louis & Capital Chapter AROC and Scuderia Non-Originale (SNO)
Club Alfa Romeo De Montreal (CARM): www.clubalfaromeodemontreal.com
alfaromeodriveralex@gmail.com
(514) 771-9513
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 10-23-2007, 08:24 AM
Pat Braden's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dexter, Michigan USA
Posts: 4,468
AROC Convention Planner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Csank View Post
It sounds like you want the 2010 convention to be held in CA, doesn't it? Is there a particular reason why the 2010 connvention should be held in CA as opposed to somewhere else? If you have specific reasons why it should be held in CA, that should be brought to the ARA and Delta Sierra, AROSC, Central California, San Diego and Orange County AROC Chapters' attention.

Certainly, almost anywhere in California is a great place for a convention (uh, except Malibu right now I guess!), but I believe that by moving them around, more folks get to attend conventions either bi-annually or at least every three years. The alternative would be to hold all conventions in one place like Lebanon, Kansas (geographical center of the lower 48 States). In any event, I believe that the ideal would be to rotate convention locations throughout the country just as is being done, provided there is a chapter willing to assume the responsibility of hosting.
Actually, Alex , I was trying to address the issues you raised in an earlier post where you indicated that there were issues that were not insurmountable with a reasonable explanation based on present practice within the last couple of years and exceptions made to meet an end if ARA and AROC wanted to try and bid on the 2010 convention. I still think it's a long shot and would need to be run by the AROC board before any "real" planning is begun so as not to create any hard feelings or get hopes up that could be quashed.

As far as wanting it in California -- have you forgotten what local Alfa club I'm a member of? My club held the convention last year. I don't care if they hold the 2010 convention in Timbucktu, Nevada or Timbucktu, Maryland. Do we have an Alfa club in either of those places with members willing to bid and host?
__________________
Cheryl
(Not an authority nor SME
on anything, just PATSYF)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 10-23-2007, 09:18 AM
Alex Csank's Avatar
Senior Member
Gold Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ste. Anne de Bellevue QC (Canada)
Posts: 5,765
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex Csank
My vote is for an Alfa convention in Roswell, NM featuring the Disco Volante!
__________________
Cheers,
'Alex' Sandor Csank

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro! - Hunter S. Thompson 1971
Bianco 1985 GTV6 "Tramontana" (North Wind)
President, Alfa Romeo Club of Canada & Club Alfa Romeo de Montréal
AROC USA, ARCC & CARM Social Media Chair (Facebookie)

Member: A.O.N.E., St. Louis & Capital Chapter AROC and Scuderia Non-Originale (SNO)
Club Alfa Romeo De Montreal (CARM): www.clubalfaromeodemontreal.com
alfaromeodriveralex@gmail.com
(514) 771-9513
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2007, 10:44 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 135
Convention bids

While there were excellent reasons that two conventions in a row were awarded to cities that are fairly close together, the feedback I have heard is that variety is desirable. People in diverse locations hope that at least once every five years there will be a Convention within a day's driving distance of their home base. That will not ever be possible for everyone (hello, Hawaii and Alaska Alfisti!) but at least it is something the Board should take into consideration when reviewing proposals. And that, by the way, is the key word--PROPOSALS! If a Chapter does not submit one, they defer to those that do. And, while geography is important, a really strong proposal that reflects enthusiasm, volunteer commitment, and a well-thought out, affordable, enjoyable program is also mighty key.

The more Chapters that place bids, the stronger the competition and hopefully the better the result for attendees. Plus, just because a Chapter does not get the nod one year, does not mean they won't benefit from the application process and come back to win in the future. Portland submitted a fine bid for 2008 that helped propel them to their successful one for 2009.

Most importantly, if you have not had the chance to attend a convention, please try to, whether in your back yard or at a destination far from home. Each one I've attended has introduced me to a new region-worth of Alfa people and it has been a treat to visit with them in New Hampshire, Florida, Seattle, Tulsa and Detroit. I can't wait for Chicago (which for us is a long but do-able drive), Portland (rental car time) and beyond!

--Brewster
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2007, 01:09 PM
Nicola's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 3,267
Comment and suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Csank View Post
My vote is for an Alfa convention in Roswell, NM featuring the Disco Volante!
Alex -
Are you trying to alienate Alfisti from attending the National Convention?

On thread -
Wouldn't it be a neat idea if members of the host chapter who owned multiple Alfas could make them available (rent?) for attendees who have to fly and rent cars?
Not track/auto-x cars like Detroit had, but rather "daily drivers" that could be driven on the rallyes and such. (e.g. - Brewster, wouldn't you rather fly to Seattle, pick up my Spider and drive to and around Portland in 2009?)
__________________
[I]"It's the best in class by default, because it's the only thing in its class." [/I]
~Richard Hammond on the Alfa 4C

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[I][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Gordy Hyde[/FONT][/B][/I]
AROC-USA Secretary
Home chapter - NWARC
1971 Junior Zagato 1750 (1800605)
1974 Spider 2000 Iniezione (no carbs)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2007, 07:31 AM
Alex Csank's Avatar
Senior Member
Gold Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ste. Anne de Bellevue QC (Canada)
Posts: 5,765
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex Csank
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
Alex -
Are you trying to alienate Alfisti from attending the National Convention?

On thread -
Wouldn't it be a neat idea if members of the host chapter who owned multiple Alfas could make them available (rent?) for attendees who have to fly and rent cars?
Not track/auto-x cars like Detroit had, but rather "daily drivers" that could be driven on the rallyes and such. (e.g. - Brewster, wouldn't you rather fly to Seattle, pick up my Spider and drive to and around Portland in 2009?)
Gordy,

1. No...ummm actually I think Roswell and a Disco Volante would be pretty cool, but some tell me I'm a bit weird

2. I like the rental idea. How would that work in terms of 'legality'? Anybody know anything about that? Maybe we would have to effectively 'loan' cars and have any rental fee go as a donation to the host club?

3. If I fly to Portland, will you rent me a Spider? In that case, I may be there next week!!!
__________________
Cheers,
'Alex' Sandor Csank

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro! - Hunter S. Thompson 1971
Bianco 1985 GTV6 "Tramontana" (North Wind)
President, Alfa Romeo Club of Canada & Club Alfa Romeo de Montréal
AROC USA, ARCC & CARM Social Media Chair (Facebookie)

Member: A.O.N.E., St. Louis & Capital Chapter AROC and Scuderia Non-Originale (SNO)
Club Alfa Romeo De Montreal (CARM): www.clubalfaromeodemontreal.com
alfaromeodriveralex@gmail.com
(514) 771-9513

Last edited by Alex Csank; 10-27-2007 at 07:32 AM. Reason: I'm a spelling 'ZEN' master!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2007, 09:01 AM
Pat Braden's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dexter, Michigan USA
Posts: 4,468
AROC Convention Planner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Csank View Post
Gordy,

1. No...ummm actually I think Roswell and a Disco Volante would be pretty cool, but some tell me I'm a bit weird

2. I like the rental idea. How would that work in terms of 'legality'? Anybody know anything about that? Maybe we would have to effectively 'loan' cars and have any rental fee go as a donation to the host club?

3. If I fly to Portland, will you rent me a Spider? In that case, I may be there next week!!!
Gordy, remember Alex has all this free time on his hands, he may just show up at your doorstep, and as a world traveler, I'm sure he could find you, listed or unlisted.

I'm glad Alex posed the question of legality since I'm usually the naysayer; but, I also have questions that it might violate one's own regular insurance policy provisions if something happened and the insurance company ever found how it happened. In a way we're promoting deceit and deception if the worst should occur. It might be as simple as purchasing a "rider" -- but I don't know.

Eric or Dave Hammond might be able to give us some insight as to how they handled it last year. I know there are different types of Alfisti, those who are willing to share and let you drive their Alfa and those who don't; as a matter of fact, they don't want you close enough to breathe on it let alone leave fingerprints.
__________________
Cheryl
(Not an authority nor SME
on anything, just PATSYF)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #39 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2007, 12:08 PM
bshorey's Avatar
Senior Member
Platinum Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Gilroy, CA, USA
Posts: 1,974
Send a message via AIM to bshorey Send a message via MSN to bshorey Send a message via Yahoo to bshorey
Quote:
Originally Posted by amico View Post
Alex,
Thanks. I hope the thread does lead to the exchange of useful information. I am absolutely astounded that reasonably accurate "official" stats. are not readily available. The CAROC board spent a lot of time trying to agree on an attendance figure upon which to base committment for the various activities for the Chicago convention in 2008.. To George's point, it would be a great help to subsequent hosting chapters to know the good/bad/ugly relative to each activity. The information would make it easier for the planners and more enjoyable for the attendees. As such, please fell free to share your thoughts.
Thanks!
Tony
I've been gathering up electronic convention data since we hosted the convention in New England, and I discovered that Marc Mosko was going to delete all of his after the Florida convention!

That said, I haven't gotten any from Oklahoma, and I'm still waiting for Detroits (Eric? Eric? Have you recovered yet?).

This data is not public on my web site, as it does contain financial information. However, I make it available to any future convention planner, including yours (I pointed Charles to it a while back).

bs, hoping to improve life through networking!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #40 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2007, 12:30 PM
Pat Braden's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dexter, Michigan USA
Posts: 4,468
AROC Convention Planner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshorey View Post
I've been gathering up electronic convention data since we hosted the convention in New England, and I discovered that Marc Mosko was going to delete all of his after the Florida convention!

That said, I haven't gotten any from Oklahoma, and I'm still waiting for Detroits (Eric? Eric? Have you recovered yet?).

This data is not public on my web site, as it does contain financial information. However, I make it available to any future convention planner, including yours (I pointed Charles to it a while back).

bs, hoping to improve life through networking!
Brian,

I was told by those that are supposed to know, meaning board members, ex-board members, convention chairs, (don't you fit at least two of those categories) etc. that Jolene is the "official" keeper of convention stats., whether that is true or not, I have no clue; I haven't had the time to write to her for holes that I'm missing in mine. The other person I was told to contact is Joel Edinburgh. I think, I may have some basic stats. from Detroit, but not positive; I'll check.
__________________
Cheryl
(Not an authority nor SME
on anything, just PATSYF)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2007, 12:39 PM
bshorey's Avatar
Senior Member
Platinum Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Gilroy, CA, USA
Posts: 1,974
Send a message via AIM to bshorey Send a message via MSN to bshorey Send a message via Yahoo to bshorey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Braden View Post
Brian,

I was told by those that are supposed to know, meaning board members, ex-board members, convention chairs, (don't you fit at least two of those categories) etc. that Jolene is the "official" keeper of convention stats., whether that is true or not, I have no clue; I haven't had the time to write to her for holes that I'm missing in mine. The other person I was told to contact is Joel Edinburgh. I think, I may have some basic stats. from Detroit, but not positive; I'll check.
Joel was a *huge* help when we were planning out convention. He can rattle off attendance numbers for the past 30 years.

I am not the 'official' keeper of anything, I've just been gathering up information because I found it useful, and I'm sure those that follow would also find it useful.

For official stats, I'd say Jolene would be the best point of contact.

bs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #42 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Pat Braden's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dexter, Michigan USA
Posts: 4,468
AROC Convention Planner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshorey View Post
Joel was a *huge* help when we were planning out convention. He can rattle off attendance numbers for the past 30 years.

I am not the 'official' keeper of anything, I've just been gathering up information because I found it useful, and I'm sure those that follow would also find it useful.

For official stats, I'd say Jolene would be the best point of contact.

bs
My apologies, if you interpreted my verbiage to mean that you were or should be the "official" record keeper of statistics. Several have posted, including Gordy, that you were keeping statistics that were available on your website. When I was unable to find them to try and fill some of my missing data areas, Gordy let me know that they were locked down. I assumed based on "your gathering" information comment that you knew where to find the missing pieces, therefore, I can understand why my verbiage may have been interpreted as "aloof" or "sarcastic" when you're asking individuals or states for their figures.

Maybe the networking still needs to be improved.
__________________
Cheryl
(Not an authority nor SME
on anything, just PATSYF)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 10-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Nicola's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 3,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Braden View Post
...Several have posted, including Gordy, that you were keeping statistics that were available on your website. When I was unable to find them to try and fill some of my missing data areas, Gordy let me know that they were locked down.
Cheryl -
What I said was this information was on a "secret" website, and what Brian said was that he makes this information available to future convention chairs. It does contain, shall we say, sensitive information - primarily financial, that can help convention planners as they try to obtain estimates for participation, etc. As such it could be somewhat different and perhaps contains more illuminating information than Jolene has, as the AROC information is probably abbreviated as it is sent to national from the immediately previous host chapter. I'm certain the board does not want to know all the nitty details that are contained in the electronic site that Brian helped develop.
__________________
[I]"It's the best in class by default, because it's the only thing in its class." [/I]
~Richard Hammond on the Alfa 4C

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[I][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Gordy Hyde[/FONT][/B][/I]
AROC-USA Secretary
Home chapter - NWARC
1971 Junior Zagato 1750 (1800605)
1974 Spider 2000 Iniezione (no carbs)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 10-28-2007, 04:22 PM
Pat Braden's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dexter, Michigan USA
Posts: 4,468
AROC Convention Planner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
Cheryl -
What I said was this information was on a "secret" website, and what Brian said was that he makes this information available to future convention chairs. It does contain, shall we say, sensitive information - primarily financial, that can help convention planners as they try to obtain estimates for participation, etc. As such it could be somewhat different and perhaps contains more illuminating information than Jolene has, as the AROC information is probably abbreviated as it is sent to national from the immediately previous host chapter. I'm certain the board does not want to know all the nitty details that are contained in the electronic site that Brian helped develop.
Here is what you posted and what I responded:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola
With BShorey now on the board, it is intuitive that he will be directing you Orygun planners to his "secret" website which contains hugely gigantic informative data for you to utilize in your planning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Braden
I'm guessing Brian's "secret" website, well it's not too "secret" anymore except for the address, now is it; contains money issues which I'm not tracking and really not interested in. I'm looking for the common thread of what makes people attend where and why beyond the die-hards that go to every convention.
I apologize if you feel that "secret" does not correspond directly with "locked down" as in not accessible to the general membership or Internet public. FTR, I knew about Brian's "secret" website, as you choose to designate it, prior to your posting and that he was collecting information and sharing it with those that he felt had a reason to have access to it. I will leave it at that since I'm not going to post private e-mails involved in this discussion topic, including yours; however, I will reiterate, that AROC is a non-profit organization that must follow Federal IRS regulations about disclosure of information and conflict of interest of board members; to continue this topic would effectively, hijack this thread since it is about convention planning and not IRS regulations, non-profit status, guidelines, and conflict of interest.
__________________
Cheryl
(Not an authority nor SME
on anything, just PATSYF)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 10-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1
I have nothing to add reagrding secret web sites, but do have some experience with AROC conventions; involved in the planning of three: 1981, 1990, 2007.

My personal views:
Do not set out with the attittude to do anything bigger or better than what was done before. Those comparisons are full of traps, so just plan for everyone to have fun.
What we did do was put a core group together and worked like hell to make the most of what we had at hand.
That means that if you have a professional witer or PR person in the group, use that to your advantage. If there is a 1923 RL in the Chicago Science and Industry Museum (hint, hint, hint) look into options of using the car or museum for an event. With a little asking and prodding, you might find a member who suddenly spouts 'Oh yeah, my sister is the exhibit curator at that museum.'
Feature your strengths, both those of your members and the convention area. Every area is unique, and as Eric noted, the majority of members will be coming as tourists.

The GTA demo laps at Waterford Hills was not in our plans until I looked at the registration list and counted seven GTAs. Only then did I begin mailing to all the GTA owners in the club, sending a letter and registration form to each one, using the seven we had as the enticement to make it twelve GTAs registered. Like I said, it helps to be aware of what you have.
Not everything can be an area of strength (for instance, Detroit never does rallies). Then either do some creative substitution (we had a combination gimmick rally and gossipy tour near the hotel), or keep it simple, or farm the job to someone who is really good at it.
I have strong opinions of what is works and will not work at a convention. Sometimes Eric and I had opposing opnions. In the end, that worked to the Motor City Alfa's benefit.

Dave
Motor City Alfa co-chair
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off










Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2011 AlfaBB.com All Rights Reserved.



SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2