Where's Benjamin?? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 04-26-2011, 07:58 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
Leaving El Campello

A few more parting pics: a small village, Busot, above El Campello in the hills which like many here, have a Christian versus Moslem battle depiction (note crescent and cross). The view from our hotel room window. A bigger procession in Alicante Easter AM. And one of the GT to GTAm repro resto, very early. And Ben & John in thew showroom with a rotisserie resto Spider.
Attached Images

- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (pictures)(and more) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56 (pics)(more pics) (Blog) - for the heck of it now!!!
- Mr Meconium- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (pics) - for another Euro trip?
Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black - pics - SOLD
- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (pics) - LINK
- '70 1300 TI, 2L/4.10LSD, white/black - for a short while only . . .
- Benjamin - '76 ex-Nuova to 1600 Super (pics) - for the 2011 Euro trip
- '69 1750 Berlina (wish I still had)
Links
Pinyo's 2010, 10 wk, 8000 mi "Super" Euro-Trip Blog - LINK
Benjamin's 2011, 7 week, 3500 mile "Super2" Euro-Trip Blog - LINK
Gina Lolo's 2011 Alfa Convention, 3350 mile Roadtrip blog - LINK
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2011, 08:20 AM

A run through the Hill Country in the Supers and then sunset on your back deck with Paella and a good Rijoa . . . .
Old 04-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

He's Baaaaaaccccckkkkk Too

Guess who we found stowed-away in our luggage - - - Bob Esponge (Eh-spon-ha), but now a teenager with a bigger appetite. As long as he keeps quiet we'll keep him on-board.

Hey Jim, backatcha! Just finished a dinner snack and the pace has slowed down a bit here for a few days of rest. Carmen had us running all the time to see great things. And with lots of packing and details on the car the last two days. Met a neat guy Phil (posted above) at Italclassic who owns and has owned lots of Alfas. Lots of guys stop by Ben's shop for a coffee, talk and look around at the many classics, including a 1900 Boano Primavera Coupe, very rare. It would be great to have a shop like this back home with an up-and-coming mechanic and restorer like John and master like Ben.

Here's a few shots: loaded down with 150 lbs of luggage before departure, Bob, a 5 mile traffic jam at the final toll station before Barcelona with half of that town returning from the south, of today after lunch in a small local cafe and a place where Pinyo had some shots last year in May.

Signing out now. Happy hour!

PS: rear "Giulia" script pending.
Attached Images

- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (pictures)(and more) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56 (pics)(more pics) (Blog) - for the heck of it now!!!
- Mr Meconium- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (pics) - for another Euro trip?
Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black - pics - SOLD
- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (pics) - LINK
Links
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-26-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Lots of guys stop by Ben's shop for a coffee, talk and look around at the many classics, including a 1900 Boano Primavera Coupe, very rare. It would be great to have a shop like this back home with an up-and-coming mechanic and restorer like John and master like Ben.
You're describing Bob's old shop, ZAP Motors, at 6th and Rio Grande back in the day. The only real difference is that, instead of coffee, we tended towards mellow, consciousness alternating substances which were patiently tollerated by the neighborhood cops. Halcyon days . . .
Old 04-26-2011, 09:13 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to AlfaVeloce
Jim, that's far out, man. 5-oh is like all over you here in Dixie, man what a drag! They even voted out home brewing here today.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Help for the Confused and Incorrect since 2009
Legion President of The Confused and Incorrect
Old 04-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Benjamin in France

Had a sighting today in Southern France around Apt & Cereste. Spent some time attending to some unforseen maintenance. Seems a u-joint got crabby at our sudden combination of weight and speed over 568 miles from El Campello. It has been used for mostly local transport lately. These are old cars with some old parts; you just cannot replace everything (new clutch, guibo and shaft bearing, engine/tranny rebuild). Victor Parts to the rescue and a small garage nearby rebuilt them. They do not rebuild many u-joints and may have missed a needle bearing or two. One joint maybe still be a bit crabby as vibrations on the shaft are noticeable still when unloading and worse yet when slowing down with the clutch disengaged. We'll check it tomorrow when we leave for Italy, and hope for the best. A shorter day at 268 miles mostly freeway so we can keep it loaded up and not "wobbling" and wearing. The Italians will no doubt have skills for this if needed. A few parting shots here. At lunch in Cereste, local village, etc..
Attached Images

Gone-
Links
Old 04-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

The dark blue (Blu Hollandase) is really growing on me. It is very classy, and shows the chrome off really well. And all the road dirt and pollen and bugs . . . .

Most don't like the Turbinas (me included) but I thought they looked very nice on Tsu's dark blue car so I requested a set he had in stock. Ben obliged. The bright silver really compliments the chrome and brightens the dark car - neo-classic for a classic car.

The pics below are loaded down with 90% of our stuff for the trip tomorrow - luggage, daybags, groceries, etc.. We need to add 470 pounds of gristle tomorrow AM. The front wheels will be dancing on the highway and rain is predicted. I may have to add some cinder block bricks in the engine compartment.

Obviously Bob is ready . . . . The route takes us right along the coast just past Genova.

Wish us well . . . .
Attached Images

Gone-
Links
Old 04-28-2011, 05:13 PM

Been following this thread and read over the Pino thread, too.

Congrats on the great purchases and adventures...

Must remember to contact Roland when I'm ready to buy...
Old 04-30-2011, 08:34 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Tunnels, Joints and Good Food

Departed So. France yesterday. Left Kristy's father's car at the TGV train station in Avignon for his return later by train. Unfortunately took the Autoroute (tolls) most all the way to Santa Margherita to make good time over 420 km. Very busy with trucks. Small glimpses of Italian coast between tunnels in Italy but much was spent in tunnels, really. Next time will village hop on the coast road for sure. Just gorgeous. We get a lot of both adorning and curious looks in the Giulia. Have not seen one oldtimer yet. And they are curious as it has Spanish plates and a big blond driver.

The driveshaft is still acting up worse. I kept it under about 3200 rom the whole drive (110 kph) which added some time and made drivers behind crabby and gave old Alfas a bad rap. I'm sure it's a bad u-joint rebuild - what else? Increasing vibration over 3200 rpm, and at low speeds when you disengage the clutch and coast. When the shaft is well loaded going uphill to about 3200 rpm it's pretty quiet. I think the guy got the right hand needle bearings in the left hand joint. . . . But it could be something else. We are pretty loaded down - in the photo below of only me and luggage to Avignon, look at the stance, and that is before another 270 pounds is added. With our very helpful rental person, we hit two local garages today, one specializing in Alfas, but on a Saturday there was little interest in doing anything, even putting it up on a rack for a look and feel. One older guy at an Alfa shop took a drive but always shifted under 2500, kept it under 40 kph and did no coasting. And my Italian is not so fluent. He said it was starting to go out. I think it's demise is well underway. I turned a set of needle bearings to black dust once. Anyway I digress. Perhaps we can get someone interested in Florence or when it is sticking up through the floorpans.

Tomorrow an all-day coastal boat ride down to the Cinque Terre and back. CU L8tr.
Attached Images

Gone-
Links
Old 05-01-2011, 12:52 AM

Morning Bruce, nice country roads and vievs there!
Have you any chance to check drivesaft centre support, cracked rubber part could cause those vibration problems.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

HI Jorma, The views on the Italy coast here need to be done from highway SP1 and not the Autopista A10. Too many tunnels. For next time.

I have not had any luck running into any mechanic who seems to know Alfas or driveshaft cars yet. Or one who has had any time or interest. Have made an e-mail appointment in Florence (next stop) with an Alfa dealer who will probably not be interested either. We'll see, and I will report out on their helpfulness!! Could be the u-joints wrongly assembled (I have done that before, fat fingers with grease), or the bearing, or the nose bearing. The guibo looked good, and is only 1 year old. It is not as bad when not so heavily loaded. More pics soon but did a boat ride today all day so no Giulia pics, but I told Ben the boat as windy, noisy and vibrating as the Giulia!!
Gone-
Links

Last edited by Anfanuts; 05-01-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:49 AM

I was thinking that all of that weight in the rear has your DS at an angle it doesn't like.
Had that on my super with Roland, Liesbeth, Wiffy and me in the car. Some new noises !
Maybe move SpongeBob up to the dash......
Enjoy the adventure !!
Randy

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
Old 05-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Hey Randy, yea, good idea and, yes, it is worse when fully loaded (you can see the rear sagging but it hasn't hit the stops yet or it's riding on them) but I can induce it to a lesser degree with just three passengers, me (210), wifey (* est. 96 ), and her Papa (140, little French guy even with his baguette, wine and beret), with the shaft unloaded and off the gas especially when coasting a bit slowing or coasting downhill. With the shaft loaded going uphill under 3200 rpm it is not so noticable. Over that, it goes up quickly. I've had guibos go out (sudden bad vibs), u-joints (vibs depending on condition) and nose bearings (mild vibs at 4000 rpm with shaft unloaded). Mid-shaft bearing - no experience. We drove uphill 1000' from the sea to San Lorenzo today and she was pretty solid. Like Ben said, first break the rear flange and test the two joints by hand. It's either them or not. Then move on to the other stuff. I either need a rack and some tools or a mechanic who knows driveshaft cars and has some interest. There's only a few parts and all visable. Thanks for following along!! How's the "S"?

* - not divulged
Gone-
Links

Last edited by Anfanuts; 05-01-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:20 PM

Sorry to hear about the troubles !, to me it sounds like a tipical u joint problem

I have had this problem also some years ago, and if I remember it correctly there are 2 different types of bearings, just a little difference but not interchangeable, maybe the mechanic used the wrong bearing ?
Old 05-01-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I either need a rack and some tools or a mechanic who knows driveshaft cars and has some interest. There's only a few parts and all visable. Thanks for following along!! How's the "S"?
I'm really surprised to read this, Bruce. In most of the US, certainly in the south and southwest, just about any corner mechanic shop can put in u-joints. I can understand someone screwing it up and runing, losing, a needle bearing (been there done that) but it's odd that you seem to be having so much trouble finding someone capable or willing to do what is after all a very simple job. Maybe that's one of the differences between there and here. Come to think of it, maybe the difference is that we have such a love affair with pick-up trucks, all of which are rear drive w/ u-joints.

But then you are driving around post-modern Europe in a rolling anachronism . . .

Last edited by 180OUT; 05-01-2011 at 12:27 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.