Where's "Pinyo"?? - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 06-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
Flashback to Altea

While there are many cool and relatively unspoiled villages on the coast here, there has been a lot of construcition over the past 10 years. Seems to many foreigners buying up Spainīs sunny coast. This boom has led now to a bust as funds are more scarce now. I is also a blight on the countryside as it inevitably is elsewhere. They call these "urbanizations" for rural suburbs. Even the major tourbooks advise staying away from Benidorm which seems to have become the Cancun of the coast here and seems to cater to much the same crowd - the young and inebriated. A few shots below of the good (Calosa, a village up the valley from Guadalest, Guadalest now overrun with tour buses from Benidorm and one Super, and the bad and the ugly (Benidorm skyline and resort apartment along the motorway). Part of Spainīs current banking crisis is caused by this bust, just as ours in the US.
Attached Images

- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (pictures)(and more) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56 (pics)(more pics) (Blog) - for the heck of it now!!!
- Mr Meconium- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (pics) - for another Euro trip?
Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black - pics - SOLD
- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (pics) - LINK
- '70 1300 TI, 2L/4.10LSD, white/black - for a short while only . . .
- Benjamin - '76 ex-Nuova to 1600 Super (pics) - for the 2011 Euro trip
- '69 1750 Berlina (wish I still had)
Links
Pinyo's 2010, 10 wk, 8000 mi "Super" Euro-Trip Blog - LINK
Benjamin's 2011, 7 week, 3500 mile "Super2" Euro-Trip Blog - LINK
Gina Lolo's 2011 Alfa Convention, 3350 mile Roadtrip blog - LINK

Last edited by Anfanuts; 07-15-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010, 04:22 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Leaving Granada - Parting Shots

Left Granada Sunday AM. We walked the route down twice to get it straight otherwise we'd never have made it out of the maze. After sitting 4 days in the cool, Pinyo took some coaxing with the choke. Traveling on Sundays is a mixed bag, more on the highways but less traffic in the cities. We were pretty sleep deprived because of the aforementioned circus in the park. The entertainment could be nice if you wanted to stay up past 4 AM. It was so hot we needed to open the front double-pane windows to get some breeze. The Albaicin (several spellings) area is definitely an interesting place to stay, especially if you are a Bohemian, a Rastafarian or attend DLU.

The statue is Isabella telling Columbus to find the Americas and plunder it so they can float their boat awhile longer. And two glamour shots of Pinyo so you know where "it" is. (Kristy & I can not agree on its gender).

The drive to Seville was uneventful on the Autovia at 3 hours. We did it early to avoid the heat. It was 33 deg C (91 F) upon arrival anyway. It's supposed to cool off and even rain in the next few days. We're here in Seville for 10 days and there is even a flamenco bar just down the street from our apartment, and it is nice and quiet here and with A/C and a WiFi bar just around the corner. We took a first-night walk last night in our Santa Cruz barrio area. We came across two classical guitar performances, the latter with a cello (plucked) and beautiful female singer near the Cathedral. We proceeded to get lost in the Santa Cruz maze (which makes the Albaicin look like child's play) for 2 hours when we recognized something we walked by an hour earlier and retraced our steps form there. To sustain ourselves for the trip home, we had some tappas and beers at midnight. Not our style but when in Spain, everything is shifted 3-5 hours later.

A few pics of recent events at Granada. CU later, B&K
Attached Images

- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (pictures)(and more) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56 (pics)(more pics) (Blog) - for the heck of it now!!!
- Mr Meconium- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (pics) - for another Euro trip?
Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black - pics - SOLD
- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (pics) - LINK
Links

Last edited by Anfanuts; 06-07-2010 at 04:31 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-07-2010, 05:59 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Really enjoying your updates. Have fun!

Currently no Alfas in the stable

Previously:
'76 Alfasud Ti/'75 GT Junior/'87 Alfa 33
'91 Alfa 75/'95 Alfa 164/'79 Alfa Spider '69 Euro 1750 GTV, '67 Duetto, '84 Spider Veloce
'91 164L
Old 06-07-2010, 06:47 AM

When I was in Spain the style was very much to work till noon, have a long lunch and siesta till 2 or 3, then work till five or six and hit the tapas bars, then return home and have dinner late in the evening.. When in Rome...
Old 06-07-2010, 08:54 AM

Sevilla, is a very musical city (but, then, the whole of Spain is very musical). It is a center for flamenco and there is also a music conservatory (grad schools for musicans in Y'urp) which is probably where the street musicans came from. Oddly no guitars makers of note, as far as I can recall, are located there.

The little Super fits right in!
Old 06-09-2010, 07:29 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Sevilla is Great!!

Been here a few days. It was hot in the high 80's to 90's but cooled off with heavy rain today. Sevilla is gorgeous. More compact than Barcelona yet with many, many more beautiful monuments, churches, and other things to see than Granada. We are staying in the ancient Santa Cruz barrio which is a maze that makes Granada's Albicin look like child's play. Never leave home without a map. After 3 days of wandering, we are starting to learn the major routes and a reliable route to the main areas. The Moorish hand in influencing the architecture is obvious and delightful. The narrow streets help provide shade and cool, and funneling the breezes, when it is hot. One thing that is striking is the inner courtyards of the Sevilla's homes. They are always very cool and inviting places of peaceful refuge for those who live there always with water and lots of plants. Very smart for a hot climate, and allowing light and air into the inner courtyard rooms. The Seville cathedral is amazing and the view from La Giralda tower (the former mosque's minaret) is one of the best we've seen. This is the largest church in Spain and the 3rd largest in the world (exceeded only by the Vatican and St.John's in London.) .The Real Alcazar Moorish palace is a gem but not quite as expansively ornate as Granada's Alhambra.

Last night we went to the flamenco bar down Calle Levies just 330' from our apartment's front door. It is free entry but drinks are 5 Euro. Since it is free it does not book the best acts but more local and lesser talent on their way up. But it is close and free. You need to get in before 10PM to get good seating but the performances do not start until after 11PM. Unfortunately the expat student community has discovered it as a cheap hangout to meet other traveling students and young vacationers and they seemed more interested in talking and drinking to drunkeness than respecting the performers. The performers actually stopped several times to “shoosh” the increasingly unruly crowd in the gallery and at the bar, and even asked them to leave which got jeers. The guitar work alone was amazing (guitarist, male singer/clapper, dancer). We are unaccustomed to the atonal Arabic-like song of the male singer. The flamenco dancer last night was unnerved by the crowd. Since it is so close and convenient we can take this venue in frequently if it provides respect for the performers. We may try one of the larger for-pay spectacle shows ($25-40pp) just to see how it compares, as well as for weeding out the Landsharks. For early June there are a lot of tourists out. Mostly older and younger, not many families yet.

Pinyo is parked outside but occupying the whole space now where there was also formerly a Smart in front. Compare the sizes of the Smart and Super. The Smart almost looks bigger and bulkier but still performs like a Smart and holds nothing but two people. Smart?? Perhaps the Giulia Super is smarter?? There was a modern Giulia convertible parked nearby and I snapped a shot. The front just does not impress. To me, it looks like a small underground tunneling creature (a Volle or Shrew ) with those small eyes peering out.

This sure “ain't” Spicewood. Hope you voyeurs are enjoying the trip. We've got a few side trips planned that may involve driving or trains: Cadiz, the whitewashed villages tour and Cordoba. Will check in in a few.
Attached Images

Gone-
Links

Last edited by Anfanuts; 06-09-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:37 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

And a Few More of Sevilla

A few more shots around Sevilla: courtyard and Real Alcazar.
Attached Images

Gone-
Links
Old 06-09-2010, 08:13 AM

Beautiful photos. I had planned to catch the bullfights in Sevilla, when locals suggested I see the novicios fight in Mijas instead. I stayed there too long and had to cut my route. Sevilla was the victim, but it looks beautiful. I did catch the Moorish Cathedral/Mosque in Cordoba. It is wonderful to see these architectural gems from another era.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:46 PM

Absolutely agree, fantastic images Bruce. I am so enjoying your travelogue through Spain, as it is a country I have yet really to see. Back in 2005 when I had 6 months off work and went to live and travel through Europe, I went to Lisborn/Cintra for a week with the express plan of travelling through Portugal and then through Spain over a number of weeks. But unfortunately I became ill and had to fly back to France and recuperate at my cousin's place in the Loire.

So your travels are definitely the next best thing and most enticing for me to get back there and to travel through Spain as I had previously planned.

I know what you mean about the cultural opportunities, and especially the difference between the free events vrs paid ones. I too struck some similar issues in Lisborn. But still thoroughly enjoyed the experiences. Dave
Old 06-11-2010, 02:55 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Hit Cadiz yesterday via train, arguably, according to "those guys", the oldest established city in Western Europe, back to the Phonecians. Need to shortlist a few pics. Thanks for the replies. I'm not doing this for us but for my landlocked family and friends. We picked up a traveling partner on the trip. Fluent in English and Spanish. More later.

PS: A lad back home hit Ben at Classicalfa up for some needed trim parts which he had in stock. Ben has a parts "crib" that would bring you to your knees. Check him out if you need anything. And like Roland, he knows where to get the stuff he doesn't have and get the good NOS and repro stuff. Again, thanks for the visit Ben (& John).
Gone-
Links

Last edited by Anfanuts; 06-13-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:21 AM
Gold Subscriber

This is the first time I am posting a note on Alfa BB and I just wanted to say that I am following "Pinyo's" trip with great interest as I also own a Giulia Super 1600 which Ben and John from Italclassic are finishing for me. We have been friends and I a very satisfied customer for a long time. Alas with forced retirement on me, I am looking forward to driving my Giulia possibly as a daily driver.
Cpongratulations on your daring and wonderful trip, It is a joy to follow you.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Travel Partner

As I said above, we picked up a cute travel partner in Cadiz yesterday. Fluent in both English and Spanish so it will be a bonus. Very enthusiastic to be on the trip as you can see. Also a TV personality. Does it get any better??
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
Say hi to Bob Esponje ("bohb eh-spon-ha"). He's on Spanish TV also. He'll keep Pinyo entertained while we are away and is already making passes at Jane (TomTom). He's not too smart but very good fun.
Attached Images

Gone-
Links

Last edited by Anfanuts; 06-13-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Cadiz is Cool

The weather definitely turned cooler which is a relief. A little bit of rain occasionally but no downpours. Took a RT train to Cadiz yesterday and wandered around there all day. Some churros and coffee under an umbrella during a small downpour were nice. The travel books say it is Spain's Marseilles. I think not. A miniature and toned-down version perhaps. But it was cool and breezy and lots of nice things to taste and see. Some snaps below of various.

Took Pinyo out today on a tour of the whitewashed hilltop villages SE of us. Beautiful country and true Alfa roads. More later.
Attached Images

Gone-
Links
Old 06-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Some of Our Favorite Things

Speaks for itself . . . not in any particular order.
Attached Images

Gone-
Links
Old 06-12-2010, 01:59 PM

World's largest pan of paella? Yum! The pappas frittas and jamon look great too... you're making me hungry six time zones away! We just watched USA play to a tie with the British in World Cup. Between BP and this, I'm not sure my English friends are going to be greeting me warmly.

Last edited by Alfamante; 06-12-2010 at 02:02 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.