Where's "Pinyo"?? - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 05-27-2010, 06:47 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfamante View Post
I heard Kristy laugh when you missed that truck. *My* Kristy would have let out a blood curdling scream, I'm afraid.

Hey, does your daughter have the Spider while you're out of town? My kids reported a red "Series 1" in the pickup line at Steiner Ranch yesterday. Alex said, "It was a Duetto dad." Love those young Alfisti. Made me drive them to school in the '82 this a.m.
I think she was just too surprised and scared to scream, that sigh was relief that we did not become a wheel chock.

Since we left the keys to the ranch with the kids, who knows, maybe my daughter got the Spider to keep it from getting dusty! We're in Altea for a week, whitewashed buildings with steep hills. Will upload some shots later. Just found a WiFi cafe with cold beer. SO many towns to visit though . . . .
- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (pictures)(and more) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56 (pics)(more pics) (Blog) - for the heck of it now!!!
- Mr Meconium- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (pics) - for another Euro trip?
Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black - pics - SOLD
- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (pics) - LINK
- '70 1300 TI, 2L/4.10LSD, white/black - for a short while only . . .
- Benjamin - '76 ex-Nuova to 1600 Super (pics) - for the 2011 Euro trip
- '69 1750 Berlina (wish I still had)
Links
Pinyo's 2010, 10 wk, 8000 mi "Super" Euro-Trip Blog - LINK
Benjamin's 2011, 7 week, 3500 mile "Super2" Euro-Trip Blog - LINK
Gina Lolo's 2011 Alfa Convention, 3350 mile Roadtrip blog - LINK

Last edited by Anfanuts; 05-30-2010 at 02:27 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 03:29 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Musings on Pinyo

The drive out of Barcelona south to Altea mostly along the coast was uneventful. We took the Autoroute as it wound around the Nacional road like a helix anyway and we wanted to make good time as our rental owners were departing for home in he late afternoon. As for Pinyo, so far, over 3600 km, about 2250 miles, and no issues with the car.

AS for Pinyo, it is clearly not a Spider BUT it is also clearly not a modern sedan. The seat is comfortable enough but the car is sprung pretty tight and the 60 profile tires (Michelin Energy) are harsh also, so it is a bit rough on rough roads. And with no A/C and temps approaching the low 80's and sunny in So. France and Spain now, it is hot and with the windows down for air, a bit noisy. Too noisy at 70+ mph for conversation or music. Below 70 the noise drops considerably. But the scenery has been beautiful and the exhaust note a joy. At 2000-2200 rpm there is a delightful header-exhaust resonance that sounds great driving through small towns. Definitely an attention grabber. The longer legs enroute so far have been 464, 794, 608, and 540km. This is a bit far for my comfort in this car. You are pretty worn out. And this is on mostly toll Autoroutes. I've had her up to 90 mph but with 150+ pounds in the trunk she gets a bit boggy on tighter turns and hits the stops on bigger bumps. This stuff is not aboard on shorter tours and she is more sprightly. On smaller local roads sightseeing, it is clearly in its element. Drives under 200-300km with frequent stops for coffee & beers and taking in the sights are great. This is definitely a “flashback to the past” nostalgia trip, in ALFA's 100th anniversary year no less.

One other observation. To date, I've only driven Spica Alfas. This is my first carb'd Alfa. It has Dellorto 40's recently tuned. I've read that the Spica hesitates upon acceleration. That is not the case with my two cars. My Spica throttle response if quicker and smoother feeling. And my Spica definitely starts easier (first time usually). And Dellorto's are supposed to hesitate less than Webbers. It may also be the difference between the freer revving 1750 versus a 2L. Note that both are satisfactory and the difference is minor, but to me palpable. The Spica sound is quieter and stealthier than the carbs, appropriate for a stylish and stealthy looking Spider, and throaty and racier for a Super. Both different and delightful. I give a slight edge so far to the Spica setup. I know I speak heresy here to the carb devotees so I will withhold final judgment until they are tuned again, or I try the preferred Webbers.

Recently on a longer stretch of lower autoroute (110kph), we got 29-31 mpg. NOt too bad at all. And with gas about $1.50 per gallon cheaper here in Spain than France (taxes I'm sure), we should do better on touring costs.

Oh and on handling. Supers handle great, tighter and less body wobble (cowl shake), and rear axle hop than a Spider (with W&D springs), but my Spider suspension bushings do all need replacing. The Super just feels more stable cornering even with all the body roll. The tires grip well also.

So this was a car-talk interlude to the trip for gear-heads, bound to start some debate! More pics next post!

I just wonder what the “book” on us finishing this trip uninterrupted is. The more I think about this trip, in a 35 year-old used car that I know little about in a strange land on a 5000+ mile trip, the more I wonder about my sanity. Oh well. Life is an adventure. We'll see!!
- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (pictures)(and more) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56 (pics)(more pics) (Blog) - for the heck of it now!!!
- Mr Meconium- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (pics) - for another Euro trip?
Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black - pics - SOLD
- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (pics) - LINK
Links

Last edited by Anfanuts; 07-15-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-28-2010, 03:31 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Leaving Provence Flashbacak

So some providence finally in Provence! After not having seen any Alfa's older than a 75 (Milano) thus far, on the trip west out of Provence (on former RN100 toward Avignon), we ran head on with an old-timer tour heading east. Most were British (TD/TC, MGA, Triumphs, an E-type), but there was a nice roundtail and an Alfetta GT. Nothing older in the Alfas. No Bertones (GTV's) or Supers. Weekends is the best time to catch the old-timers out strutting. Needless to say they all waved, honked and/or flashed. They probably thought we were going the wrong way or waned us to join. I might have missed a few as there was a string of closely-spaced roundabouts. No pictures as we thought it was done and then another batch came through, and another, etc. Later in the drive, we passed a red MiTo heading into Spain. Better than a Fiat 500 but that's not saying much.
Gone-
Links
Old 05-28-2010, 03:42 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

At Altea

No photo ops for Pinyo yet but will get some today. Many other photo ops though. Will share a few here now to hold you over. Altea is a beautiful older seacoast resort town with steep hills and whitewashed buildings. There is a long wide boardwalk with a nice strip of beach and sea on one side and a constant strip of restaurants and cafes/bars ands small shops on the other. Great for the obligatory AM coffee/roll, mid-day beer and mid-afternoon lunch here. And after your "comida", a nice place for evening tapas and a cool walk. Plus the cyber-cafe is here. So far it's pretty cool and not tourist season until mid-June so it's peaceful also. Does it get any better than this???
Attached Images

Gone-
Links
Old 05-28-2010, 11:20 AM

Bruce --

Wonderful commentary and pictures. I especially enjoy your reflections on the functionality and comfort of the Super in day-to-day use, and compare/contrast with other models. Keep it coming!
Old 05-28-2010, 03:30 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to AlfaVeloce
Bruce and Kristy
Thanks for taking us along on the drive! You sure have a lot of friends with you on the trip, and we're not adding any more weight than a laptop and a camera!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Help for the Confused and Incorrect since 2009
Legion President of The Confused and Incorrect
Old 05-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

More of Same

Good eats, nice folks and beautiful scenery. SSDD. Did a tour down the coast on the small roads since we came in on the Autopista. More nice small towns and beautiful beaches. Hit Calp which has a big rock outcropping on a penninsula that has a view of the whole town. It seems an early heat wave has hit which makes touring just a bit more uncomfortable. My navigator wilts above 74.5 deg F. Making plans to visit some local Alfisti down the RN 332 past Benidorm. They specialize in Alfa restos. Ben and his son John I recall. I'll post their website later. They've been following Pinyo's advance. More later. Bruce, Kissy & Pinyo
Attached Images

Gone-
Links

Last edited by Anfanuts; 06-01-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:57 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

They Are Where You Find Them

Pinyo took us south today to visit with Ben and his son John at Italclassic a bit south of Benidorm on N332. This is a shop that primarily deals in restorations and they strongly prefer Alfas. In fact, Ben has a lifelong love affair with Alfas since his first Giulietta Spider long ago during his first trip to Italy from his native Holland, and he has passed this affliction on to John now. They also deal in sales of used “old timers” and Alfas, parts, and some service/repair. In fact they have a large supply of used parts garnered from parts cars over many years, and most from “old timers”. Everything from “soup to nuts” and in many multiples. Some NOS also. Unfortunately the only inventory is in Ben's head. I have attached a few photos of only a small part of his stock.

They also have a good inventory of cars for sale and of projects, both for others as well as their own. Some real exotics that I've only read about like a nice red 1900 coupe which is very rare and 2600 sedan. Ben or John can fill in accurate details of the various bodies and engines laying about in need of time and hands. They have two Supers for sale, a dark blue 1600 and white (red nose). Unfortunately John's 1300 GT Junior (with 1600) outfitted for ralley is NOT for sale. It is a certain eye catcher.

These guys are really hard core Alfisti and a pleasure to visit with. And Ben's knowledge of Alfas is immense. No doubt, he felt that Supers were one of Alfa's finest achievements when asked about his favorite Alfs, and he has little joy for post 105 cars. John also has a 145 Quadrifoglio. Smaller than a 147 but 150 hp and very spirited. John took Pinyo out for a spirited drive on his test track, a twisty uphill, departmental road up the back hills. He gave it a thumbs up after the drive and inspection. “Solid, strong and neutral.” No driveability issues noted. He felt the rumble at 4000 rpm was perhaps rear tire balance as it only seemed to occur in 5th at 4000 rpm and was not noticeable in lower gears. He also noted the start of a leak on the rear axle driver-side seal. As an aside, Pinyo is getting up to 29-31 mpg on highway driving at 110 kph (< 70 mph). A bit lower above 70mph. It is between 24-26 in all city and twisty, hilly road driving. To me, a remarkable feat. Better than my Spica Spider.

After lots of Alfa talk, a shop/parts stock/projects tour, coffees, and drives, we went to lunch at a locals restaurant. Great meal and talk got more social. Unfortunately, the visit had to end as they closed the shop virtually all morning for the visit. Ben sent me on my way with a few tidbits like a spare solenoid (just in case) and radiator cap (mine is leaking a bit). And some speedos in MPH for which he has no use. These guys could make a small fortune with an inventory of their used parts and some time to market. And it would get these rare and much needed parts back into circulation for the rest of us needy souls. It makes me wonder just how many of these parts and car stashes exist around Europe, and elsewhere, with so little exposure. Ben says that Alfas have not really caught on in Spain, and in particular the old-timers. He says that Franco would not allow but a few imported cars into the country per year for show purposes, and only since 1984 has the “foreign” car market become open and taken root. He believes there are not many Alfas here, certainly not that many old-timers (perhaps 30-40 pr so), and there is little recognition or appreciation for them. In fact, I'd guess that I get most interest here from the many foreign visitors, retirees and part-time residents. This is manifestly unlike Holland. He bemoans that and tries to get some local enthusiasm but with little success. Pity as this is Alfa-driving country for sure!

Once again, we find in the most out of the way places great Alfisti. In the end, now it is not so much about the cars themselves, but about the people who love on them, restore and maintain them, drive them, pour money and time into them, and stock, develop and sell us parts for them. Otherwise, there would be no “old timers” out here. What better way to celebrate Alfa's 100th than for the people keeping the memories alive out here. Drop these guys a line sometime and say Hi. And definitely ask them for the parts you may need! And if you are in the neighborhood, drop by for a coffee and an eye-popping tour. Some great Alfisti live here. Thanks for the hospitality guys.

Reparacion de coches clásicos en Alicante - Restauración Alfa Romeo y Fiat Clasicos, info@italclassic.es, (34)-965-638-774

Next stop – Granada!
Attached Images

Gone-
Links

Last edited by Anfanuts; 06-06-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:04 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

More Italclassic

A few more photos of the dog pen and parts crib. . . .
Attached Images

Gone-
Links
Old 06-01-2010, 07:08 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

And the last (of 90)

The last few of a bunch. Contact them for parts and cars for sale!
Attached Images

Gone-
Links
Old 06-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

It Is What It Is

Whew, what a drive over to Granada via Murica from the coast. I've never seen heat like that in Holland on my previous trips. Maybe 30 deg C (85 deg F) but never 37 (nearly 100 deg F)!! My Aqua was well over my 82 deg C normal and up to 100 (212 deg F). What abuse is this. But to look at my foolish occupants, with no A/C, they were more miserable. It was a bit cooler in the foothills below the snow capped Sierra Nevada but the drive up to the pass was HOT also. And when we got to Granada is was HOT there. Jane TomTom gave them some bad advice and there were roads blocked also and they were frazzled. I overheard them say that the travel guides say it is supposed to be an average maximum of a tolerable 81 deg F in June (it's only the 2nd!). Ha, So much for averages. And they planned their trip around this assumption. Oh well, $hit happens. I got so hot after the drive in to Granada, after a stop to get their bearings, I spun my starter a couple of times. You should have seen the look on their faces! Priceless. Serves 'em right for torturing me up that pass and tooling around town like I was some kind of Clio. I'm a touring fair weather car. Duh! SO to make it up they've parked me in a nice cool underground garage for a few days. Perhaps I'll get my bearings again down here. I really hope it cools off by the time they decide to go again. All from me. Down in the cool garage, I wonder what they are doing up top. It looks HOT up there. Pinyo
Attached Images

Gone-
Links

Last edited by Anfanuts; 07-15-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

You Said It!

So we made it to Granada. It seemed to get a bit warm. Pinyo acted up a bit but made it. Spun her starter on us. Someone said to whack her with a stick real good. You can make plans and then nature is always in control. Plan a trip around the weather almanac and you gat an unprecedented heat wave nearly 20 def F over average. Supposed to be 81 and it's at 100. With no A/C in Pinyo that will make for a hot time. And the apartment in Grenada has no A/C. So, in more ways than one this trip is a flashback to prior times with fewer conveniences. So you behave more like a local. Walk in the shade, walk slowly, stop often for beers or sangria, eat light, drink some more, walk in the shade, find cool churches and take up prayer, do more in the morning and do nothing in the afternoon (except nap and drink), and only go out for a stroll after the sun has made the shadows much longer after 7 PM or so, and manage your windows. At least it's a dry heat. You certainly get far less done as a tourist. It seems this “Alto” is kinda locked in over southern-central Spain like one of those that lingers over Central Texas from July thru August many years. So it is what is is.

This morning we had a 4 hour guided tour of the Alhambra and neighboring Generalife gardens. Simply amazing. The Moors water and “cool” management was brilliant. The buildings light and airy. The gardens dense and cool. Today is a Holiday in Granada and several major Spanish towns – Corpus Christie. They were preparing the main drag for a parade. Perhaps we'll go, as long as here are no bulls. We are staying in the Albaysin area, an ancient maze of very narrow one-way streets on a hill top, like a maze. We needed a guide just to get up here and park. I have no idea how we'll get down Sunday. Jane doesn't even list all these “alleys”- a tourist no-mans land. We are up on a hill with a view over much of newer Granada down below and within walking distance of the Alhambra on he next hilltop, as we did that walk over this morning. We are next to a park that every kind of gypsy and wanderer takes over upon sunset. It's like a small circus. There is a small college nearby we call DLU – Dread Lock University. The students all dress in near-medieval garb and act like gypsies. Most have dreadlocks. It looks like a midieval Dead concert. The last of them left the park this morning at 715 AM after beating drums, singing and playing various instruments (including a digery doo) and generally hollering all night. Someone piled all their beer and wine bottles in a big pile, (that was before we got up). Typical college town but without a mascot. Our apartment is very nice just no cable/TV, no WiFi, and no A/C. Our bedroom is on he inner courtyard so we only heard a faint distant noise from the circus. What we did hear earlier in an adjacent studio was live classical flamenco music and a dancer practicing. Listening to that, on the rooftop deck, drinking a pitcher of home-made stout sangria, seeing the whole of Granada below us at sunset,. and the DLU student circus forming up below was priceless. It was better Jim than the live Spanish guitar music being played in a small Moorish plaza in Barcelona. You'd be in guitar heaven here. And you'd also be HOT. We've found an Internet cafe but no WiFi cafe (pronounced WeFe here). In Barcelona it was a Starbucks. So we'll have to see how to get this post out. We can already hear the beat of distant drums and a trumpet for the circus is forming up. But 4 local police just showed up on Segweys so we are in for a pitched battle now. We've heard there are general strikes planned for June 12 due to the recent austerity measures announced after 20 some years of freely spending and a 10 year building boom (in large part due to norhern foreigners) now gone bust. See you in a few. Stay cool! B&K
Attached Images

Gone-
Links

Last edited by Anfanuts; 06-04-2010 at 03:59 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:32 PM

Some of my favorite memories of Spain were spent exploring the Alhambra Bruce. Bought Washington Irving's "Tales of the Alhambra" and just about finished the whole thing sitting in a courtyard one day. My hotel was an old castle nearby, that had Moorish decor and stories of hauntings and ghosts. Woke up several times in the night to noises that sent chills down my spine. Hope you have some R&R time before the next leg... so jealous!
Old 06-04-2010, 04:08 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfamante View Post
Some of my favorite memories of Spain were spent exploring the Alhambra Bruce. Bought Washington Irving's "Tales of the Alhambra" and just about finished the whole thing sitting in a courtyard one day. My hotel was an old castle nearby, that had Moorish decor and stories of hauntings and ghosts. Woke up several times in the night to noises that sent chills down my spine. Hope you have some R&R time before the next leg... so jealous!
Yea, what a place. It would be even better at 81 or so!!! How is your trip planning coming? Will you rent an Alfa? At least you could get to sleep. Living around the natives and NOT in some ***** hotel means rubbing elbows with the natives and the gypsies in the park.

Some photos of the Alhambra below. Enjoy. Pinyo is safe in a subterranan garage cooling off.
Attached Images

Gone-
Links
Old 06-04-2010, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfanuts View Post
Yea, what a place. It would be even better at 81 or so!!! How is your trip planning coming? Will you rent an Alfa? At least you could get to sleep. Living around the natives and NOT in some ***** hotel means rubbing elbows with the natives and the gypsies in the park.

Some photos of the Alhambra below. Enjoy. Pinyo is safe in a subterranan garage cooling off.
We're going to Bath on the 30th to spend a week with Kristy's family, then plan to visit London, Brussels, Amsterdam, Innsbruck, Lucerne, and Paris. We'll take the train back to London to fly home. Three weeks, six countries. Looking forward to it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.