ARA Autocross Program - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

ARA Autocross Program

At our last ARA Board Meeting, we spoke about starting an autocross program in 2014. We are looking for members with experience running autocross events that would be willing to step up and help run events for our club. When I joined the ARA we had a very active autocross program and I would like to see it return.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to bshorey Send a message via MSN to bshorey Send a message via Yahoo to bshorey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian D. View Post
At our last ARA Board Meeting, we spoke about starting an autocross program in 2014. We are looking for members with experience running autocross events that would be willing to step up and help run events for our club. When I joined the ARA we had a very active autocross program and I would like to see it return.
I have no time, but I could be talked into freeing up some time and helping. I think my ARA membership has expired. Somebody really needs to find a way to renew a membership that doesn't involve writing checks and licking stamps.

bs
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Brian, if you could help that would be fantastic. I'll keep you updated when we have more info.

You can renew your membership online via Paypal on the ARA website. Our Treasurer Sean is looking into even more convenient ways for online transactions.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 03:39 PM
Gold Subscriber

bshorey, paypal is the best way currently. We are looking into redeveloping the website and integrating payment options.

'69 1750 GTV - XC70 Q4
'88 Spider Veloce
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 04:31 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Hi Christian,

I'm too far away to help with your autocross program, but believe such events can be a lot of fun for Alfa owners. We had an autocross at the 2011 AROC convention in Lexington, KY, and added a feature that you might consider for your new program. Many people have an interest in autocrossing, but are reluctant to enter their first ever event because they don't want to embarrass theirselves with a poor performance. My co-chairmen, Enrique Zuniga, came up with the idea of letting novices pay a reduced entry fee and make their runs with the timer turned off; then they could drive as slow or fast as they liked just to drive on an actual course and get a feel for what it is like (If we heard their tires squeal, we made them stop and get a loaner helmet). This was very popular, and likely created several new enthusiasts that will continue to enter autocross events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian D. View Post

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks George, that sounds like a really good idea. I was hoping to build on the success of the Alfa California convention autocross. Hopefully if Alfa does return to the U.S. there will be more interest in these events.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 07:29 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlpltGTV
I used to run with NORCAL UFO down in Marina and was one of the instructors for them and I also instruct for TrackMasters autocross days at Sears point. I no longer have an Alfa that is driveable, but I'd love to come out and help/run. I'll send you a PM.

Will

1959 101.02 Sprint AR1493*20198 (project) 1969 Datsun 2000 roadster
1988 BMW E30 M3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode