Strange Request - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Strange Request

I plan on replacing the exhaust on my 1971 spider (euro)over the winter. My choices seem to be the stock system, the stock system with stinger rear section or a magnaflow stainless steel system.
I would like to use the magnaflow system but I have heard it is loud. I understand the loadness is subjective and therefore I am asking if anyone in the southern new england area has this system installed so I could hear it. I am willing to drive to your location and listen to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 09:03 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I had a Stinger + the stock center resonator on my Spider and it was LOUD. I now have a single Borla straight through muffler in the center position and everything else is straight tube. It is louder than stock but it is not obnoxious. See posts 72 & 74 of this thread Weber tuning with Lambda sensor

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Ed, I like the sound you have with the Borla straight through muffler. I don't think I have the skills to make the custom piping as you did though.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 10:50 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I didn't make the pipes - I paid $300 for someone else to do it - including pipe, flanges, tail pipe, etc.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 10:59 AM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
I had a Stinger + the stock center resonator on my Spider and it was LOUD.
I can vouch for this: when my rear muffler was shot (effectively making it a stinger) it was d-mned obnoxious sounding. I'd cross the stinger off the list if you're concerned about sound.

Tom

1991 Spider
1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 11:23 AM
Trained (ex)Professional
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

If this coming weekends weather holds out, you're welcome to come kick the tires on the 71 GTV. It has the 2 1/4" stainless Magnaflow. Morristown, NJ area.

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 08:30 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
I had a Stinger + the stock center resonator on my Spider and it was LOUD. I now have a single Borla straight through muffler in the center position and everything else is straight tube. It is louder than stock but it is not obnoxious. See posts 72 & 74 of this thread Weber tuning with Lambda sensor
On 2L stock Euro 135hp Alfetta in a Super. I now have a 1 5/8" header w/ 2 1/8" GTA-R system but with a rear stinger and I removed the front collector because it started rattling. The middle is an IMASAF muffler. It is loud but has a nice deep burble.

The question: I am told by exhausts purists that you need a front collector of some sort to develop proper scavenging, dissipation of pulses, and establishing constructive backwaves (??). I felt no change in performance removing the collector? Whaddya think?

Anfanuts; Ph.A., B.S.A., U. of NOTASME
Now
- Spider Veloce, '69 US1750/4.56 LSD (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) - since '75 for that early mid-life crisis!
- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (
)(
) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56

- for the heck of it now!!!
- Mr Piper- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (
) - for the 2017 Euro trip -

- "PF Ziggy" - 1991 ES-30 Sprint Zagato #550 - for pure hedonism now -

Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black -
-

- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (
) -

- '70 1300 TI, 2L/4.10LSD, white/black - for a short while only . . .
- Benjamin - '76 ex-Nuova to 1600 Super (
) - for the 2011 Euro trip
- '69 1750 Berlina (wish I still had)
Links
Pinyo's 2010, 10 wk, 8000 mi "Super" Euro-Trip Blog -

Benjamin's 2011, 7 week, 3500 mile "Super2" Euro-Trip Blog -

Gina Lolo's 2011 Alfa Convention, 3350 mile Roadtrip blog -
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 09:24 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
The question: I am told by exhausts purists that you need a front collector of some sort to develop proper scavenging, dissipation of pulses, and establishing constructive backwaves (??). I felt no change in performance removing the collector? Whaddya think?
I have no collector on my Spider, just a Shankle 4-2-1 header into a straight pipe with a single muffler in the position that was once occupied by the resonator. My dyno sheet was with the same headers into a stock resonator and rear muffler and it shows a very flat torque curve which I think is desirable. So my conclusion is that a collector is unlikely to add much.

Al Mitchell also told me that he has experimented with collectors on his GTV6 racer on his dyno and he saw no advantage from them.
Attached Images

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500

Last edited by alfaparticle; 12-22-2014 at 09:32 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 09:35 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
Thanks Ed, I did not feel a difference before/after (in my calibrated keister) but it is not a high performance racing engine that is operating at the margins. Funny that racers bolt side exhausts right up to the header flanges (where allowed by noise regs) but then say in the next breath that you need a proper collector. They cite Kartamalikis, et al.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode