Fiat Musing The Idea To Not Import Alfa To USA? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 02-27-2012, 10:04 AM

Fiat Musing The Idea To Not Import Alfa To USA?

Just saw this on Autoblog. Looks like Marchionne might concede on his decision to bring Alfa back to the states and throw the blame for it on the unions. Personally, I think it might have more to do with the cost of developing a product suited for American expectations. Either way, this article might be of interest to many of you that are still expecting Alfa to return to the USA soon.

Fiat pondering closure of two Italian plants if American initiative fails
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 02:00 PM

The matter of the italioan plants has nothing to do with alfas made in the US. AFAIK the Kamal cuv is on schedule for Toledo jeep works in late 2012 through early 2013. If the two plants are closed, the MiTo and giulietta would be shifted to other italian plants.

Last edited by alfamaven; 02-27-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-27-2012, 03:03 PM

They always want to blame the unions. It's not the unions' fault Alfa doesn't have a single car in production that would stand a chance against the current competition.

Greg
Old 02-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Yes, Unions are a favorite whipping boy for incompetent management.
2012 Fiat Sport Prima Edizione #474 (Grigio/Nero)
Old 02-27-2012, 04:30 PM
usra be an admin
Platinum Subscriber

Really, at this point, I don't really care if they come back or not. The Italian economy is in the sewer. As soon as we stop focusing our attention on Greece, we'll all be looking at Italy kicking the same can down the road as Greece. PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT!

I'll stick with my Mexican made VW.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:04 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to bshorey Send a message via MSN to bshorey Send a message via Yahoo to bshorey
Sounds like a posturing move to try to get the unions to back down on something. "Give me what I want or I'll forgoe the US market, shut down two plants, and you can explain that to your out of work members."

Of course, threatening to pull out of a market that you have zero percent credibility of entering is kind of like Reagan using Star Wars technology as a bargaining chip with the Soviets in the 80's.

bs
Old 02-27-2012, 07:37 PM
Gold Subscriber

Not a Reaganite at all, but it did kinda work, as the Soviets decided they couldn't afford to keep up, and eventually folded. Basically, the soviet Union went broke, according to Gorbachev.

Meanwhile, if the Alfas were to be built here, as some of the other European companies do, the Italian Unions wouldn't have much say in the matter.

Seattle

89 Milano
91 164S
94 164LS (Q)
72 Morgan 27
Old 02-27-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
Really, at this point, I don't really care if they come back or not. The Italian economy is in the sewer. As soon as we stop focusing our attention on Greece, we'll all be looking at Italy kicking the same can down the road as Greece.
+1

Before you know it, Fiat will be pulling out of the US.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:55 PM

For Alfa to come here, they need a competitive car, it's as simple as that. They don't have one, and don't seem able or willing to build one, thus I don't think they are coming.

The Fiat 500, is a cool car, but from a sales standpoint, it's a failure. That was supposed to be their volume seller, and I suspect even super high end low volume cars are outselling it.

Fiat could have made the 500 work out, but just like last time, they blew it.

Greg,
Silicone Hose Kits
OKINJECTORS--Fuel Injector Cleaning Services + Remanufacturing in Oklahoma
Old 02-27-2012, 08:11 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to AlfaVeloce
I don't get it. How does this improve the price he will get when he sells Alfa to VW?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Help for the Confused and Incorrect since 2009
Legion President of The Confused and Incorrect
Old 02-28-2012, 05:26 AM
Gold Subscriber

I thought the current plan was to build Alfas in the US and export them back to Europe?
Old 02-28-2012, 06:19 AM
Gold Subscriber

Alfa to V-Dub

Larry,

I think that that ship has sailed. From what I read in the paper this morning, VW has agreed to buy the 50.1% of Porsche that it doesn't already own, and all that they need now is regulatroy approval in Europe. They will probably have their hands full with Stuttgart and not be in the mood to add what is basically a pretty moribund brand to their stable.

I think that I must reluctantly agree with Greg, above, and have no hope of seeing any Alfas this side of the pond any time soon, and maybe ever (and am really beginning not to care).
Old 02-28-2012, 09:44 AM

The only reason that the 4C should be built is so that it can provide Alfa with a stateside image of prestige that it no longer has in Europe. Without America, I don't see any reason why the 4C should be built. If Fiat cancels the 4C, you can rest assure that the cancelation of the American relaunch will follow. The fact that the 4C has already been postponed twice gives me the idea that Fiat is not very willing/capable to take an American relaunch seriously.

Fiat told all of the (potential) dealerships to invest money for them and now they don't even have the resources to bring Alfa over. The lesson that everybody needs to learn is that you should not trust Fiat for anything.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Gold Subscriber

Guys, all the Alfa's that we love and care for have alreasdy been built. Save your money and buy more old Alfa's. Don't worry about what Fiat does.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:50 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to AlfaVeloce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Con Gusto View Post
Larry,

I think that that ship has sailed...
My comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, anyway. My attempt to comment on the fact that they (Fiat, Marchionne) do not know what the flip they are doing. And it's getting pretty obvious they don't really care.

The 500 is a great car. I love the heck out of mine, and glad I bought it. But the launch was fumbled. Now, I do love me some girls alright but let's face it, Fiat totally over chicked this car, way overplayed the urban chickification angle to the point no one, not even urban chicks give a ****. We've heard about zero out of the new brand manager, and if he expects the Abarth to save his fat he can wish in one hand and **** in the other and see which one gets full.

It's flat over for Alfa. And I'm pissed about it. It didn't have to be this way... but Oh, Larry! You are so wrong. We are dealing with Fiat, and it had to be EXACTLY this way. The Fiat gods would allow nothing less.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Help for the Confused and Incorrect since 2009
Legion President of The Confused and Incorrect

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.