Racingswim's Fetta build thread - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Racingswim's Fetta build thread

Well, now that Meatball is "done" it's time for some FETTA CHEESE! This wasn't a car I was expecting to get involved in. It sort of just had to happen... Uncle Fred got a big head start on the car, but any sleeping beauty needs a little love.

Deja vu from - picked up the car on a chilly wet night with a 14ft U-haul truck and auto trailer. Gotta love the look the U-haul gives ... "wait, what kind of car is it? I don't have that in the computer."

The night of the pickup was stormy. Major thunderstorms soaked everything (including me) and made for a tough drive home.

MAJOR THANKS TO UNCLE FRED AKA XRAY!! See you for up north? Or maybe I won't...

More to come...
Attached Images

Rob
Alfas first, then everything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:55 AM

Garage
YOU bought it ???!!!!! What are your plans for this one ? Subscribed...

Joe C . Brooklyn NY
1986 GTV6
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:21 AM

Garage
Wow! a very very nice Sprint Veloce there, Rob. I would call it cherry, judging from the photos, complete with SS Euro bumpers. Shades of the 70's! Takes me back... You going to build up the motor? A TS maybe?

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:28 PM

Very cool Rob! One of these days I'm planning to dig through the garage to see what's left of my spares. I'm almost sure there's a good bit of 'Fetta stuff in there still. Do you have it in town now?

Jason Arrington
1989 Spider driver
1974 Spider restoration project
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfafaninNY View Post
YOU bought it ???!!!!! What are your plans for this one ? Subscribed...
Stay tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaloco View Post
Wow! a very very nice Sprint Veloce there, Rob. I would call it cherry, judging from the photos, complete with SS Euro bumpers. Shades of the 70's! Takes me back... You going to build up the motor? A TS maybe?
Thanks! The car is a really nice example. I can't find any rust, it's got nice paint, and I find no evidence of an accident. It has a strong motor in it but there is a nice turbo setup waiting. The car needs quite a lot of work so I may decide to install some of the higher horsepower stuff during that work. The temptation is there to modify, but the car is worthy of a stock type restoration. A fresh Alfetta seems like it would be a lot of fun in its own way...I have some V6 beasts to satisfy the other needs! We will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrington View Post
Very cool Rob! One of these days I'm planning to dig through the garage to see what's left of my spares. I'm almost sure there's a good bit of 'Fetta stuff in there still. Do you have it in town now?
Uh oh - spares are hard to resist. Car is in MI currently...we should catch up soon I'll bring you up on the details.

FETTA CHEESING:
After arrival and a lengthy unloading session (and necessary garage reorganization), the car needed some attention after sitting for a few years. Had a couple of jobs going at once but first things first, it wouldn't start - no fuel pressure. Checked for power at pump, 12V. Hmmm. Knocking the pump didn't help. I saw the original filter in place so I put in a new Bosch pump and repaired some failing wiring - pump only worked for about 10 minutes then failed. Dang! Must be debris or something....so, full teardown on fuel system. Drained and cleaned the tank and replaced the filter and pump at back, ran new lines and clamps (originals leaking in 2 spots yikes!). The amount of crap in the fuel pump and original filter made me glad I went for the full refresh - photos show SOME of the crap. Ruined my brand new Bosch pump too. Maybe it got water in there? Lots of junk in the bottom of the tank that needed cleaned out, also cleaned that banjo fitting and cubby where all the crap gathered. Anyway, had a spare pump to install luckily.
Attached Images

Rob
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Next up was troubleshooting the brakes. Uncle Fred said something was up so I just drained all the fluid in the circuits and pulled the master (master had clear signs of failure). Blew compressed air through all the lines - all clear thankfully. Front hoses looked new, rear was obviously still good. Fluid was nasty at the back. Small amount of fluid in booster so cleaned that all out.

Has rebuilt original-type calipers up front but they were not zinc plated so I'm not sure what will happen with those...might pull them out to be redone properly. A quick aside: most rebuilders do not re-plate the calipers (usually zinc dichromate) and they rust immediately. These calipers probably only have 15 miles on them and I had to brush them down quite a bit.

Nice new Centerline master cylinder installed, fresh fluid and full system bleed - nice firm pedal. Test drove the car, nice motor at full throttle but won't run well at partial and won't idle...hmm. Brakes weak for sure, something not right. The weak pedal was/is a combination of new brake pads (not bedded)...and a failed booster. Dang it! Didn't realize it until after a full bleed and after bedding the pads I was sitting stopped and heard the typical "HISSSSSSSSSSS" with the pedal depressed. Well, no wonder it doesn't want to idle when you hit the brakes. So, the booster has to come out. Not sure how much of the Haltech EFI was tuned with this failed booster so I will probably need to re-tune the fuel map once the massive variable vacuum leak is fixed.
Attached Images

Rob
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Rebuilding, and some questions for the experts

QUESTIONS FOR THE EXPERTS:
1) what size is the factory Alfetta GT/ GTV rear sway bar?
2) do ALL Alfettas use 8mm bolts to fasten the brake rotors to the driveshafts/halfshafts? It seems the CV's use 8mm bolts compared to 10mm all around on V6's.

My Dad reports that the car has no problem chirping the tires into 2nd gear...such a strong car deserves a nice tight trans! My test drive reveals a slightly crunchy 2nd gear when downshifting, and that just won't do. Also hear a noisy rear wheel bearing. It's kind of muddy/greasy under there so I'm going to pull the DeDion and refresh it all I guess...

Time to rebuild a transaxle! Core came from a late sedan which as far as I know is identical to any late Alfetta (finer pitch teeth compared to early, slightly wider flange shaft bearings). BUT - it has 10mm holes for stub axle flanges? W THE F?!? I thought all Alfettas were 8mm. This transaxle had never been apart and the flanges are certainly original. Fluid drained clean and didn't find any big chunks missing.

Anyway, core transaxle gets a deep clean and disassembly reveals only minor needs. A couple chipped dog teeth, worn synchros and sliders. Bearings like new, teeth like new on gears, diff super tight like new. Centerline provided new Italian seals for input shaft, selector shaft, and stub axles at the flange. Be sure to use your dial indicator to check the pinion height!

For the trans build, I got some new parts from Centerline and dipped into my spares for the rest. New synchro ring on 1, 2, and 3 gear with an OEM Goetze synchro ring on 2nd gear and standard "aftermarket" units on 1 and 3. I used a 5th/R synchro slider on 1/2, another 5/R slider on 3/4, put my 3/4 slider on 5/R. Good used 5th gear dog teeth for 2nd gear. Converted the 1st gear synchro to the bi-directional style with a stop quadrant and brake strip from a donor 2nd-5th gear. 4th and 5th gear synchro rings were like new so were re-used. Diff bearings like new, no detectable wear so left that alone. Case was re-sealed with Permatex Gray. Polished the throwout bearing tube on the buffing wheel so this trans should be good to go.
Attached Images

Rob
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 08:37 PM

Garage
That's a late 2 liter sitting in there, right? Maybe I missed that earlier in the post.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

More transaxle...
I try to keep everything clean and use fresh cardboard as a renewable workspace.

Intermediate flange holding tool is just made from a 2x4 wood board: drill 2 holes, 2 long bolts to hold flange, clamp into a vise nicely. I might do another thread later on how to rebuild your own transaxle but I didn't take enough photos on this round.

First photo shows original 1st gear setup, second photo shows modified 1st gear setup. Notice the lack of a brake strip on the "hook" side of the stop quadrant and the extra notch cut into the 1st gear dog teeth. I imagine that Alfa did this because they considered you can't "upshift" into 1st gear. But, if one shifts from neutral at a stoplight quickly, 1st gear gets a crunch. No more of that with the modified setup. The only observed downside to this setup is that it can be slightly stiff to shift into 1st gear from a dead stop until the synchro ring starts to break in. It took a while to move past this "stiffness" in the Mostro close-ratio transaxle but now it's like butter.

A tip from Rob: when replacing dog teeth I like to align the one of the notches cut from the central part of the gear with the notch in the dog teeth - this will supply lube into the stop quadrant assembly on the backside of the synchro ring more readily. This trans gear set had correspondent notches cut in the gear bushings as well. Late V6 cars do not have these notches in my observation, I add them with a cut-off wheel.
Attached Images

Rob
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

A little out of order...

Playing with the "smart lasso" in Preview. Doesn't that transaxle just pop?
Attached Images

scootergeek and ZaXxon like this.

Rob
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaloco View Post
That's a late 2 liter sitting in there, right? Maybe I missed that earlier in the post.
I believe it's the original engine but with a fresh "street prep" head (mild porting, unknown cams). I haven't verified engine number nor compression nor anything else really. It does get with the program though - really scoots down the road. Has a nice bark with the exhaust setup and induction noise is throaty.

Current exhaust is tubular headers (I think CSC) into small glasspack and Ansa? rear. It's pretty loud. Doesn't sing like the V6 but it doesn't sound bad!
alfaloco likes this.

Rob
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 10:18 PM

Yeah, late Alfetta's do have the 10mm bolts. It's not just a V6 thing. Looks like a great car and a great project. Nice.

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)

Last edited by Aggie57; 05-22-2017 at 10:21 PM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie57 View Post
Yeah, late Alfetta's do have the 10mm bolts. It's not just a V6 thing. Looks like a great car and a great project. Nice.
Alister,

Great thanks for letting me know on that. If true, it seems then that there are 4 unique brake-to-axle spacers within the transaxle car evolution...can anyone else confirm?

Early Alfetta (8mm bolt rotors, 8mm bolt axles)
Late Alfetta (10mm bolt rotors, 8mm bolt axles)
GTV6 (10mm bolt rotors, long spacers/short axles w 10mm bolts)
Milano (10mm bolt rotors, short spacers/long axles w 10mm bolts)

Rob
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 12:17 PM
Gold Subscriber

Hi Rob

I can confirm the last two

GTV6 (10mm bolt rotors, long spacers/short axles w 10mm bolts)
Milano (10mm bolt rotors, short spacers/long axles w 10mm bolts)

I have an alfetta transaxle in the stash I'll try and measure the output flanges. Also I recall Aletta's having skinner CV axles.

Alfettas came with a two spider gear differential while the GTV6 has a four spider gear differential, in addition the speedometer drive was mechanical, a cable ran up all the way to the speedo. Does your transaxle have that??

Bye
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 09:01 PM

Garage
Congrats on the Alfetta Rob. Looks like a good one.

How's the interior, got any pics?

Matt Leavitt Alfa9 Supply
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fast road and track parts and tuning for the Alfa Romeo 4C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode