Looking for a GTV6 dash to practice on... - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By alfaloco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Looking for a GTV6 dash to practice on...

I have a cracked dash. Shocking, I know - the GTV6 dash is known for it's high-quality vinyl. I have a repair procedure in hand, but want to test out various materials and methods before I go all nuts and haul my dash out and leave the car dashless for however long it takes to accomplish the repair. So I ask of the crew here - anyone got a spare, cracked dash they can sell/give me? Looking at mine makes me very slightly nuts (well, I started off that way, otherwise I wouldn't be an Alfa owner multiple times, right? Right?) - slightly MORE nuts. After chasing down some electrical challenges, I'd like to just bask in the glow of some simple prepping, filling, sanding and top-coating. Not really too much to ask, right?

Anyway, the car is a 1982 GTV6, but if I'm not totally wrong 81-86 should work, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:20 AM

Garage
I've got an old dash out of our son's '86 I can ship you. It shows the effects of New Mexico sun over several years!

We fortunately, got a NOS dash with the car deal. Unheard of... but it happened.

Want me to get an estimate from UPS?

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaloco View Post

Want me to get an estimate from UPS?
Absolutely!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:25 AM

Garage
ok-- give me a couple days here, maybe I can get by UPS late tomorrow before they close. I'll be in touch via PM. All I would ask is that you pay the shipping, since this dash is not something anybody would really pay MONEY for
nemesis likes this.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM

I wanted to do something similar but more thorogh of a strip...

If the one with Loco doesn't work out, I have this one but really don't want to ship it: Free GTV6 metal dash

Where are you located?

Rob
Alfas first, then everything else.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM

By the way, 81-83 dashes had a cutout for hand throttle on the left hand side. Later ones did not have this provision.

Rob
Alfas first, then everything else.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
ok-- give me a couple days here, maybe I can get by UPS late tomorrow before they close. I'll be in touch via PM. All I would ask is that you pay the shipping, since this dash is not something anybody would really pay MONEY for
Absolutely.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingswim2006 View Post
By the way, 81-83 dashes had a cutout for hand throttle on the left hand side. Later ones did not have this provision.
Actually, that might be an issue. Or not, because a Bowden cable can be rigged to any fixed point, and the fixed point need not be designed into the dash. Pretty much any hand-choke device can be adapted for the purpose.

In any case, I live about 90 miles from the Pacific Ocean, half a continent away from where you are. Pick up is not really feasible.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM

Garage
ok-- well let me know if you need this one, since you can route your hand throttle about anywhere like you say. Mike has a manual AAV cable coming out next to the HVAC control console, on the passenger side. Meanwhile, I'll look around the stores for a carton long enough for it.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
ok-- well let me know if you need this one, since you can route your hand throttle about anywhere like you say. Mike has a manual AAV cable coming out next to the HVAC control console, on the passenger side. Meanwhile, I'll look around the stores for a carton long enough for it.
That routing of the cable is actual more to my liking. Or something under the dash to the right side of the steering wheel. The left-hand-side positioning sucks, and the additional cable makes it harder to fine-tune the position of the throttle in cold-temp running situations. Note: I only use the hand throttle for about the first five minutes of running. After the water temp gauge climbs off the peg, the car idles fine.

I kind of like the idea of the completely clean metal dash as a starting point. That could be cleaned up and just plain ol' painted satin black. or, if it looks decent, covered with modern vinyl that doesn't get so killed by the sun. Heck, it could get covered with grey vinyl, to match the upholstery! So many choices...

Using extra cardboard ribs to stiffen the carton might be wise. Most shippers like to kill boxes that are long and thin.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 07:35 AM

Garage
ok-- I'll let you know when I find something, and yes I'll lay a board or something rigid in the bottom to prevent it from getting bent. I'll be in touch...

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode