180° bend fuel line - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
180° bend fuel line

If anybody knows what I'm talking about when I say the fuel line, originally formed in a 180° bend but not available as an aftermarket part (except one pretty expensive kit on ebay), that goes from the petrol tank, forward then bend backwards to the fuel pump, then fuel filter, then bend back to go towards the front of the car... Often ends up kinked, just as it was on my car.

I noticed a bit or surging, uneven acceleration but only when I put my foot down. At first I was afraid this might be fuel injection-related however searching forums seemed to dispel this. And the air flow meter is good (even if that was worn, it wouldn't be in high rpm but most used rpm). When I saw the tight kink in the pipe I reckoned not enough fuel was coming through when I put the pedal down. Just a theory. We'll find out once I finish putting the car back together.

Anyway here's a simple solution, fitted whilst I was replacing the fuel pipes, pump and filter. These 90° bends (12mm) are easily available on the internet and in parts stores. Generally plastic but I wanted metal ones myself. I do realise there's a little tension, however the little bit of fuel pipe between the two bends could have been shorter, making it straighter again. Ad it's much better than a kink! As for the second bend where it comes from the filter and goes towards the front, unlike the first bend, there is plenty of room to simply have a longer section of hose and curve it around. The multiple jubilee clips aren't too crowded, and of course you only need to take it off the pump to bring the pipe downwards and easily take the rest of when changing the pipe.
Attached Images

horsewidower likes this.

1975 Giulia GT1300 Junior, 1981 GTV6, some modern German stuff, and a 1958 Messerschmitt KR201.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 11:43 AM

On my car a previous owner did the same thing, but with a metal fitting between the two 90s. Works great.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 11:43 AM

Garage
That's more or less what my son and I did, and then we got the 180 degree molded hose kit from Greg Gordon (apparently still available). Well, it's not a full 180 degree bend, but it's an improvement, considering the original OEM hose is unavailable.

Some owners swap locations with the filter and fuel pump, also, but that's a bit more work as far as adapting existing brackets.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 12:15 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaloco View Post

Some owners swap locations with the filter and fuel pump, also, but that's a bit more work as far as adapting existing brackets.

I also thought about just turning the filter and pump around and running the fuel through the filter first.

Does anyone have a picture of the stock hard lines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STILL learning.

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 12:22 PM

Garage
I could be wrong, but I believe Alfa meant for the pump to pump gas through the filter, not pull through it AND the suction strainer in the tank. But maybe somebody's done that without problems... I really don't know.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 12:23 PM

Garage
Fuel Line Routing (GTV6/Milano)

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 12:27 PM
Gold Subscriber

I understand. However, if the filter free flows, it shouldn't matter. If the filter is a restriction, then the pump would cavitate and fail.

I'm not sure it's worth the risk of finding out. On the other hand, one could change to a filter that is normally pre-pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STILL learning.

View my '74 GTV restoration at:

View my '91 164s adventure at:

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 12:35 PM

Garage
I agree with you horsewidower, it might not be worth risking the pump. And, a filter will not continue to flow constantly over its life, the pressure drop will only increase as it builds up contaminants on the media. Yes, there is a positive pressure on the suction side of the pump because the tank's elevated. But another filter, not micron-rated so finely as the OEM type, will not protect your injectors and pressure regulator as well, either.

All in all, I like the hose/plumbing solutions better...
horsewidower likes this.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 09:08 PM
Gold Subscriber

That is a nice solution.

My situation is a bit unique: I work at a Porsche repair shop and have all of its resources at my disposal, but not much time to work on my own cars, which means that I am often forced to come up with solutions from what is immediately available. Therefore, for my GTV6 I devised a quick solution for the same 180 degree bend using an old 911 A/C line and some bulk fuel hose as seen below. The metal U-bend outlet and fuel pump inlet are differing diameters, and the hose has to fit over a bead of the A/C line but this is OK because it is on the suction side of the pump.

As seen in the second pic, the amount of space taken up by the 180 degree metal line means that the fuel filter has to be clamped by the very end, but it has worked well so far in about 1,000 miles of driving the car. The large braided hose at the bottom of the second pic is also pilfered from the Porsche parts bin as it is bulk breather hose; this was placed around the fuel lines to prevent possible chafing against the underbody.

Chris
Attached Images

alfaloco likes this.

Chris A.

'81 GTV6 rescued from junkyard, "GT" car
'86 Porsche 944 Turbo track/street car
'73 BMW 2002tii fun street car
'87 Porsche 944 race car project (stalled)
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 07:21 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Use a line surround. It can be purchased at any part store. It's a steel spring which goes on the outside so you can bend the hose and not kink it.
Cool little piece.
Don't really know the exact name of it.

AlfasRule!

1972 Montreal (The Pumpkin)
1975 Alfetta Sedan
1975 Alfetta Coupe Race Car
1982 Spider
1984 GTV-6
1984 GTV-6 Verde (GiGi)
1987 Milano (Da NEW Winta Beata)
1987 Milano Verde(Da kREDden Mobile)
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 08:54 AM

When I ordered my fuel hose replacement kit from Greg Gordon, it came with two 90-degree bends.
Silicone Hose Kits - 5 colors Romeo
Alfa Romeo GTV6 Fuel Line Hose Kit (under car) 1981-86

as good as a car can be... briefly.
'82 GTV6
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah I saw those kits with the formed pipe but found them to be pricey compared to this option, and don't know what brand/quality hose it is. I replaced all the fuel lines in the car with top quality premium range Gates hoses plus these two bends for about half of what partial kit costs, with a length of hose to spare. Nothing against the chap, part of that decision was for me, the cost of shipping from US to France.

As for pump/filter plumbing I'm sticking to original setup... cleaned the in tank filter but surprisingly, didn't really need to, it was very clean to start with. Also bear in mind switching pump and filter around also involves two hose diameter changes and the need for adaptors.

The chap at the auto store couldn't believe it was a bit of standard fuel line going from the brake master cylinder reservoir going to the clutch master... is that incorrect? It was on the car when bought it but still looks fine and no sign of deterioration on the inside upon removal and inspection. If it is wrong and should be something else, then what kind of hose would I need to replace it with? An old brake hose with the ends cut off? Or is the fuel line (gates auto master) safe and sound as it appears to be?
Dan
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 11:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeatgodzilla View Post
The chap at the auto store couldn't believe it was a bit of standard fuel line going from the brake master cylinder reservoir going to the clutch master... is that incorrect? It was on the car when bought it but still looks fine and no sign of deterioration on the inside upon removal and inspection. If it is wrong and should be something else, then what kind of hose would I need to replace it with? An old brake hose with the ends cut off? Or is the fuel line (gates auto master) safe and sound as it appears to be?
Dan
Fuel hose rubber compounds are generally not rated as satisfactory for exposure to brake fluid. For that short section of hose to your clutch cylinder, I suggest you go to an industrial hose products or hydraulics store, and ask for either SBR or EPDM hose in the correct ID. Heck, it's such a small piece, they might even give it to you.

This is a compatibility chart from an industry leader, Parker Seals/ Parker Hannifin Corporation. My old alma mater in the rubber industry...

https://www.sealingdevices.com/docum...patibility.pdf
chairmankaga and cda951 like this.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for that - good to have a confirmation!

To be fair, the hose does look fine... Although on the other hand I've only had the car for just over a year and (though it's all being done at the moment) didn't use it much mostly due to not knowing when the belt was last done... And thinking I'd do the belt when I got round to changing the valve stem seals.

So it's quite possible that the previous owner had stuffed this bit of pipe on shortly before selling it.

Thanks for the chart, looks very complete! I'll check that data against what they've got at the local shop.

1975 Giulia GT1300 Junior, 1981 GTV6, some modern German stuff, and a 1958 Messerschmitt KR201.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 01:05 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfasrule View Post
Use a line surround. It can be purchased at any part store. It's a steel spring which goes on the outside so you can bend the hose and not kink it.
Cool little piece.
Don't really know the exact name of it.
This is a good alternative which I plan to use also. It is a metal tube which is beveled on one side and looks like a big comb. It is fitted over the hose and can be bent on one side to hold the hose in the shape desired. I don't know what it's called either but it's generally available at auto stores.
Cheers, James

1970 GTV (owned since 1987)
1985 GTV2.5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode