1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..." - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Fuel is drained...only to have a "smack yourself in the forehead" moment.

No keys...so no key for the gas cap. SMH

Some funky work on the fuel pump and filter, I'll have to address it.

Exhaust is hanging by only a couple of rubber rings. Down pipes to the catalyst are crushed on both sides. They, the muffler and cat look original to the car. I better start pricing those parts. Sprayed all the applicable bolts with rust penetrant. It looks like some recent work was done, as a few of the nuts were new.

I'll pull the plugs tomorrow.

Wheels are by Compomotive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GioGTVTS likes this.

STILL learning.

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Current exhaust system, stock except for Ansa rear.

STILL learning.

post #18 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

The interior is dry; needs a good cleaning and leather care.

Sunroof is a problem. I need to figure out how to take it out and R&R the mechanism.

STILL learning.

post #19 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Long day of cleaning and looking for rust. So far, no rust. It'll be interesting if that holds true when I pull the cladding.

My little steam cleaner is worth every penny. Still a long way to go.

STILL learning.

post #20 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 08:46 PM

Garage
Methinks you got a diamond in the rough there.

After the past three years restoring and upgrading an '86 with my son Mike (his car, actually), what I don't understand is how people can just let these Alfas sit for years. A GTV 6 is so much raw fun, has so much character, and performs so well... I just don't get it!

I sure wish I had one myself, but getting our gal Susy into and through college is our next priority. Maybe afterwards...
horsewidower likes this.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #21 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Who knew it would clean up so well. Again, the picture is more than kind.

STILL learning.

post #22 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I've been reading up on the issues relating to ignition, door and hatch keys...bummer. Oh, and gas cap. Three different key types. I don't have any of those keys. Keys4classics will get some action tomorrow. I have no codes, nor keys. I didn't realize how much had to be done to just get the door locks out.

It might be most effective to put in a remote door locking system.

This might turn out to be the most vexing part of this resurrection. I'm actually considering whether or not to buy a parts car just to get the keys and locks...LOL

STILL learning.

post #23 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Ignition and fuel door dropped off at another locksmith.

Still cleaning the car, looking for rust. You could plant potatoes in some areas.

alfaloco likes this.

STILL learning.

post #24 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Bare wires going into the distributor. Doesn't it just give you confidence?!

STILL learning.

post #25 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 05:00 PM

Garage
There was a recent thread on this connector, and the fact that this is a known potential problem item. If I recall, someone posted a link for either the connector, or the terminals.
horsewidower likes this.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #26 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

And the gifts keep coming

STILL learning.

post #27 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

STILL learning.

post #28 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Bosch Platinum WR7DP. .030

My plug socket was too thick. I might not have gotten keys, but thankfully it came with the plug wrench.

alfaloco likes this.

STILL learning.

post #29 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Enough for one day.

AC is dead. I pretty much expected that. I'll swap to a Sanden, in due time.

Final pic of the day

STILL learning.

post #30 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

One more

I think this is the main positive, direct from the battery, just swinging in the breeze.

STILL learning.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode