Are my plug wires bad and if so would that cause stalling after the car is hot? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Those are actually the EXACT plugs I installed. Checked against the Amazon order and everything.

as good as a car can be... briefly.
'82 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:49 PM
Gold Subscriber

too rich look at O2 sensor

current:
83 Spider Veloce
ex:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

solve problems, learn something new!
post #18 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:14 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Read the post. His digital tach is jumping around which means the miss is a spark issue, not a fuel or mixture issue.

I don't have my V6 anymore...they have a crank position sensor? Can't remember. If so that could be going bad when hot.

Tom

1991 Spider
1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)

post #19 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

No, there's no crank position sensor.
What about the Hall effect sensor though? How can I test that? After talking with guys on a different board I think it has to be some conductivity breakdown as the result of heat. Very common, especially with older wiring.
rogerspeed likes this.

'82 GTV6
post #20 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:03 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Oh man...THAT thing. I forgot about that: it's a piece of crap.

The sensor isn't too bad, but the connector is awful and causes all sorts of problems. It's the two-wire connector on the outside of the distributor body. Try jiggling it or something and see if you can replicate the problem.

Tom

1991 Spider
post #21 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:09 PM

Charlie here. If you think.it will make it to the lake, I have a great running 82 gtv6 we can swap parts on till we find what wrong. You have my emailk
post #22 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:35 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
His digital tach is jumping around which means the miss is a spark issue, not a fuel or mixture issue.
I came in part way through and missed that. Jumping tach points to the primary coil circuit, not the coil, HT wires etc. That circuit includes the hall sensor and the ignition module which can breakdown as they heat up. I suggest checking the temperature of them when the poor running commences or just touching them with your finger. Or point a heat gun at them, one at a time to see if you can make it misfire. I don't know if they are still available as they might have been banned, but aerosol freeze spray cans were popular when TV repair men did component troubleshooting. You would spray the hall sensor or the ignition module when you have the misfire and see if it improves things. That would tell you which one is breaking down.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke

Last edited by alfaparticle; 02-15-2017 at 05:41 PM.
post #23 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

So I did replace the ignition module recently, and it actually helped. It seems I'm incrementally fixing the problem! I probably just had multiple components that were worn out and would fail when they got hot. Originally the car would stall and die after a few minutes. Turns out it was a bad coolant temp sensor, causing the car to run FAR too rich, before flooding and stalling. It would take 10 or 15 minutes before I could restart. Then, the car would stall out when I got on the throttle. Usually it would restart after a minute or two. A new coil fixed that. Then it would stutter, buck, and try to stall after just a few minutes of running. Ignition module fixed that. Now it misses and wants to stall after a solid 10-15 minutes of running, but only at idle below 1200 rpm. It'll miss and snort a bit, but if I crack the throttle it'll stay alive, and run fine under moderate to heavy throttle.

Last edited by chairmankaga; 02-15-2017 at 05:59 PM.
post #24 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:46 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to martym00se72
Lightbulb You know you want to...

There's your fix! Just drive everywhere full throttle!!
alfaloco and chairmankaga like this.

Marty Moose
'83 GTV6 - 164 12v 3.0 in!
post #25 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:31 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Poor running at low rpm and good running under power is not an ignition problem or fuel supply problem. Either rich mixture or lean mixture or plug(s) fouling. My son's Verde behaved like your car when the gas tank was pressurizing but you could have a leaky injector.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #26 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

I tested the injectors recently, and they're all A-OK. Tell me more about the fuel tank issues? I've asked previously about the weirdly high pressure in the tank (audible creaking, blowing the gas cap off like a champagne cork) but was always told that's normal.

No, my car is definitely missing. I'll try to get some video/audio up this evening.

'82 GTV6

Last edited by chairmankaga; 02-16-2017 at 09:50 AM.
post #27 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:25 AM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairmankaga View Post
I've asked previously about the weirdly high pressure in the tank (audible creaking, blowing the gas cap off like a champagne cork) but was always told that's normal.
That doesn't sound normal at all! A little pressure is normal, but that sounds excessive. Not saying it's the source of your current problem, but it's something you should probably look at.

I'm not super familiar with the GTV6 tank vent system but tank venting isn't rocket science. Usually one of the hoses or orifices is plugged, or the one-way valve isn't...valving...or something.
chairmankaga likes this.

Tom

1991 Spider
post #28 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubi View Post
That doesn't sound normal at all! A little pressure is normal, but that sounds excessive. Not saying it's the source of your current problem, but ....
A quick diagnostic for chairmankaga would be driving with the gas cap off. If the missing goes away, then excessive fuel pressure seems like the culprit.

Agree that you shouldn't drive on twisty roads, with a full tank of gas, and no gas cap. Otherwise it should be OK.
alfaparticle and rogerspeed like this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 02-16-2017 at 10:36 AM.
post #29 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:00 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Don't be Cheap change them!! Did mine last year after chasing this erratic running and changing the wires fixed everything!!
I got the exact replacements from Centerline, no need to purchase any after market junk!

AlfasRule!

1972 Montreal (The Pumpkin)
1975 Alfetta Sedan
1975 Alfetta Coupe Race Car
1982 Spider
1984 GTV-6
1984 GTV-6 Verde (GiGi)
1987 Milano (Da NEW Winta Beata)
1987 Milano Verde(Da kREDden Mobile)
post #30 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:57 PM

Garage
I used to have similar symptoms on my S4 Spider, and I found a bad check valve in the tank vent circuit. Once it warmed up, in hot weather, would idle rough, all over the map. Way too much pressure in the tank.
rogerspeed likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode