Alfetta Spica Electric Fuel Pump Issues - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Alfetta Spica Electric Fuel Pump Issues

Having some problems with my fuel delivery today. Fuel pressure light comes on while driving, at first just during acceleration but then after about a half hour of driving it was glowing nearly continuously with of course a nasty hesitation and barely driveable car. Then I could hear the fuel pump groaning and cutting out completely with the ignition on but the car not running. I've had problems with the #8 fuse in the past but I honestly can't tell if it's still causing all of this. The fuse is new and the contacts are clean so it shouldn't be the problem. The inertia switch was not activated; but I pulled it up and reset it a few times.

So I'm thinking either the fuel pump is dying or the rear filter is clogged. I've never replaced this filter so that will be my first order of business. I will then check for consistent voltage at the pump which should tell me if it's an electrical issue or pump problem. Would a clogged rear filter cause these symptoms or does it sound like a dying pump?

So now the questions:

1) Is the pump replacement the same as the Milano uses? I've seen many $20-30 pumps but then I realized that these appear to be for the carbed car despite the fact that they say 1977 model year. What pressure does the Spica system call for? Seems like it would be much less than Jetronic....

2) Anyone know of a rear fuel filter available from Autozone, Pep Boys, or Advance? Car is on the street so I don't have a lot of time to get it running before problems arise. Is this filter just a universal 1/2" inline filter or is there anything special about it?

3) Would a clogged rear filter cause these symptoms or does it sound like a dying pump?

4) Any other things to check or be aware of? I'm aware of the 3 outlet pump but not sure what I have on mine yet, hopefully just a 2 outlet.

bob

77 Alfetta Sedan, 87 Milano, 86 Porsche 944 Turbo, 87 VW Scirocco 16 Valve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 07:25 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Change the fuel filters. NAPA has at least the rear filter.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:18 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Easy to convert from a 3 to a 2. The front filter is usually the culprit even new could of got so bad gas.

AlfasRule!

1972 Montreal (The Pumpkin)
1975 Alfetta Sedan
1975 Alfetta Coupe Race Car
1982 Spider
1984 GTV-6
1984 GTV-6 Verde (GiGi)
1987 Milano (Da NEW Winta Beata)
1987 Milano Verde(Da kREDden Mobile)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:58 AM
Gold Subscriber

3) yes

current:
83 Spider Veloce
ex:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

solve problems, learn something new!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:04 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
The rear is a screen, the front paper, never changed a rear only flush them. Change the front one and get back to us!

AlfasRule!

1972 Montreal (The Pumpkin)
1975 Alfetta Sedan
1975 Alfetta Coupe Race Car
1982 Spider
1984 GTV-6
1984 GTV-6 Verde (GiGi)
1987 Milano (Da NEW Winta Beata)
1987 Milano Verde(Da kREDden Mobile)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I went to start it today and it started up as usual and ran fine for about 5 minutes. It appears that the problems only develop after it's been running awhile or once it heats up. Does that point to the fuel pump failing or something else? I have both filters and will replace them and then drive until hot and see what happens. I have a Milano fuel pump on its way so if it is the pump, I can get it going quickly.

From sources such as centerline and vickauto, it appears that the Spica and Bosch cars use the same fuel pump. Please let me know if this is incorrect as there seems to be huge confusion on the proper pump and filter for the Spica cars. Every major auto chain has the wrong filters and pumps in their system including rockauto, autozone, o'reillys, advance and napa. They all call for the bigger Milano filter at the rear; Napa carries the right filter which fits (#3033 for 3/8" lines or #3299 for 1/2") but not in their system under the alfetta listing. It seems Spica cars don't exist in the catalogs of autopart companies!

bob

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wow, what a pain that rear filter is! Long story short, I went with a NAPA 3299 which is 1/2" but the hard line to the fuel pump is much smaller, probably 3/8 so I basically just cranked the hose clamp until it sealed but I don't have confidence that it will last. I'm going to try and find a 1/2 to 3/8 reducer and then use the proper lines to make the step down. It's really amazing how difficult it is to find a simple reducer to use here; no one local has it and when looking online you have to deal with the NPT vs actual size issues and then who knows what you're going to get. Friggin' plumbers!

Then I replaced the front filter too. That thing really lets loose a whole lot of fuel and then the plastic fispa filter container is sketchy at best! Not sure what the alfa folks were thinking when they designed the fuel supply....

Anyway, it's running great, it actually seems to have more power or at least be a bit more peppy. And no fuel pressure light but I have to say that I think it may have been the combination of the rear filter with a bad fuse connection as the fuel pressure light stopped flashing after I messed around with the fuse a bit more. Also, the pump was making strange noises but now it seems better. I may have a fuel pump replacement in my future....And it has the 3 outlet pump so that should be fun.

Thanks for the help. What's the secret to maintaining a working fusebox? My headlights also come and go and the connections are clean, all the fuses are new or in good shape. They just don't maintain a connection. I've squeezed the fuse connectors tighter, I've roughened the fuses and connectors, I've cleaned everything, and still it just won't keep continuity.

bob

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:39 AM

did you try centerline for filters? would seem the path of least resistance - and you would know the thing was done right.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I changed both filters and it seems that was the problem. Now the car runs better, starts much much easier, and the fuel pressure warning light never comes on. Hopefully I'll get more time out of that old school 3 outlet pump. Anyway, thanks for the help as Alfetta is purring along quite nicely.

Now if I could only fix that high idle problem once and for all....

bob

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 07:42 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Location: Rapid City SD, Black Hills of South Dakota, Queens NY
Send a message via Skype™ to Roadtrip
If you still have the old OEM 3 port supply pump, you're driving on borrowed time. If I were you, I'd get a new pump on order with Centerline and have it ready to go, or better yet go ahead and replace the 3 port pump as a matter of preventative maintenance. Fuel pumps always quit on a busy street in the rain.

If you haven't already downloaded the guide on the Fuel System Diagnostics Guide, do it and read it. It'll tell you everything you need to know to do the replacement.

Also, make sure you're getting full voltage to the wire at the fuel supply pump itself. Clean tight connections and a good ground.

Spica Technical Guides

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S

Last edited by Roadtrip; 03-14-2017 at 07:51 AM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrip View Post
If you still have the old OEM 3 port supply pump, you're driving on borrowed time. If I were you, I'd get a new pump on order with Centerline and have it ready to go, or better yet go ahead and replace the 3 port pump as a matter of preventative maintenance. Fuel pumps always quit on a busy street in the rain.

If you haven't already downloaded the guide on the Fuel System Diagnostics Guide, do it and read it. It'll tell you everything you need to know to do the replacement.

Also, make sure you're getting full voltage to the wire at the fuel supply pump itself. Clean tight connections and a good ground.

Spica Technical Guides

Thanks for the Spica info.

Also, I have a spare Bosch Milano pump but I have three cars which all need a pump. But I've noticed recently that many different companies have started selling copies of these Bosch pumps for $25 to $69, either on ebay or their own sites. Some are Korean/Chinese ($25) and one is American made ($69) so these seem like worthwhile replacements as they have good online reviews. Anyway, just thought I'd share that info because as recently as a year or two ago, there were no alternatives from the Bosch which usually costs around $100.

bob

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 07:13 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Location: Rapid City SD, Black Hills of South Dakota, Queens NY
Send a message via Skype™ to Roadtrip
The Chicom pump is junk. Don't buy it. Centerline sold them for a while but got so many back that they pulled it from the shelves. Now they sell a pump made in Slovenia that's good quality at a good price.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode