Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Alfetta GT paint code

7K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Del 
#1 ·
Hi all

I'm wanting to repaint my Alfetta GT in the nice dark blue that I think is unique to the Alfettas. Any idea how to identify the paint code?

I've attached a pic of the colour I'm after. It's a bit more "French Navy" than the earlier dark blues.

Cheers
Kerry

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
That would be this thread, which hopefully soon will be sticky.

Reactions: sportiva
#4 ·
alfettagtam...there is no blue unique to the alfettas. When you refer to a dark blue there was only for the GT the "Dutch Blue" and this is dark.
The other blue is not a dark blue at all, more a medium blu and is the colour my car comes in which is "metallic pervinca blue" and is my favourite colour and what the pb in my forum name stands for. Actually the colour was originally a Maserati colour.

This blue was available on the 105 series but its composition was slightly altered depending on the actual code number (all with name pervinca blue metallic) and were made by two different paint manufacturers, one of which was Dupont.

A quick look on the threads should tell you the specific codes for either Dutch blue or pervinca blue.

#6 · (Edited)
I agree that AR-349 Blu Pervinca Metallizatto is a very nice color (I considered painting the 2600 SZ I had in that color, but never made it that far).

In a paint list I compiled years ago, this color seems to have been available in at least 3 variants over the years:
1970-85 (English names: Periwinkle Blue Metallic, Sapphire Metallic and Med Blue Poly, DuPont code #43980),
1973 (English name: Provincial Blue Met, DuPont code #37012), and
1977-80 (listed with a different color code AR-357 and English name Peruvian Blue Metallic, but same DuPont code #43980 as AR-349).

The Glasurit Color Online web site currently describes 3 color variants for AR-349: The standard color AR-349 in their Glasurit Line 90, as well as AR-349/70 as "Greener" and AR-349/93 as "Lighter and finer" ("finer" is probably referring to the size of the metallic flakes) in their Glasurit Line 55. Furthermore, Glasurit lists formulas for AR-357 in paint lines 90 and 55, but these formulas differ from AR-349 formulas.

The matter of Dutch Blue and/or Navy Blue is no less confusing: AR-343 Blu Olandese had English names of Dutch Blue and Navy Blue (in 1971), but then AR-355 Blu Posillipo was also listed as Navy Blue 1976-78. AR-343 had at least 3 variants, AR-355 had at least 4 variants. However, the USA Alfetta color brochure indicates Navy Blue means AR-343, which narrows the choices (even if the years don't match exactly).

Colors are fun, aren't they?

Reactions: Sobol
#7 ·
Ruedi...thanks for the added info...actually it was you who i just looked up on the thread I mentioned I believe with the specific info on the blu pervinca colour ...i am not sure if that is the same thread as the one with all colours listed through the 60's/70's with a paint sample and respective codes. I also mentioned there were two paint providers and could only remember one...Dupont which did our car. However you also mentioned in that thread Ditzler. Our car is an September 1976 build and has Dupont AR349 on it.

As I said the pervinca blu colour was a Maserati colour and available on the Ghibli and Bora of with white/cream interior as standard, similar to the first ITalian Alfetta GT's if ordered in this colour.

Regarding Glasurit I personally would question 3 different formulas for the same AR349 paint code. I contacted Dupont some time back and have the exact formula for our paint (though I need to look for it) and the 349 differed from the earlier pervinca blue with different paint code by adding more blue tint making it slightly darker whereas the early cars were lighter due to less of the blue. However the code was used using cellulose paint and not water based modern paints just as another factor.

Regarding Dutch blue the Uk and the ITalian markets had Dutch blue/Blu Olandese for the Alfetta GT but BLU posilippo was not available on either market in my humble opinion then since it was not on the paint brochures then of which I have a copy somewhere. I myself did not hear of this colour and it may have been available in different markets or in the later 70's/80's when the GT became the GTV.

#8 ·
Thanks Sportiva, but I don't think this is metallic. If I'm wrong, it'll have to change my mind!

Cheers Alfettapb (I though pb was a reference to a lead foot!) Not at all interested in the Pervinca blu - there's a lovely 105 in the area in that colour but it's not what I'm looking for. The earlier Dutch/Navy blues aren't right either - a friend has this on his giulietta spider and it looks fantastic but I want something different.

Ah Tubut, you seem to have the "good oil". It must be a variant of AR-355. I've never seen it on any car except an Alfetta GT - and then on multiple pictures around the internet so it has me convinced that it was a standard colour. Unfortunately when I search for BLU Posillipo the colour coming up looks just like AR-343.

I'll keep trying but may have to give up on getting the correct colour. The car was originally a horrible cream colour but had been painted red before I got it. I could just use red but was after something really different but "correct".

Thanks All!

#11 ·
I see that the 78 Alfetta GT we bought new and drove to Seattle from DC was "ruby red". Sold it to Lino at Alfa of Tacoma, have always wondered what happened to it. Have never seen it on the roads, nor have I seen another that color.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.