1985 GTV6 24V Build - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaloco View Post
Are you guys going to do a heat guard maybe, for the front giubo? Just curious, seeing the proximity of those big pipes.
Probably not, the headers and Y pipe are being JetHot coated. That will dramatically reduce radiant heat coming from the exhaust. I suppose when I get it all installed I will be able to judge if its worth it. Maybe there is a way to make a plate to cover the access hole in the tail housing?

-Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:51 AM

Thanks a bunch Avorio,

My used Alfetta servo may be a similar project to your Spider unit. I wasn't careful enough in tapping the pin out of the side connecting to the brake pedal, and snapped off half the yoke. I didn't want to try welding that back in one piece while it's part of the assembly. Worries that the heat generated might migrate back to the rubber membrane. So, even if my unit holds a vacuum I may still have to open everything up to separate the bits. Once I have a better idea of what secures that shaft to the membrane (I noticed those rings on the end of that shaft shown in your pix), I'll know which way to jump. I have an extra GTV6 booster that might sacrifice that rod. But may be easier to weld my broken one than crack into two servos? Never been inside one. So, need to check into what's involved once I get it opened up.

Your mention that the used innards from A.P.E., and what you found inside your used booster, seemed in fine shape after all these years... gives me hope that mine may not need a kit to replace those parts.

On my 24v project, I am playing with modifying a center mounted GTV6 intake plenum to give it more internal volume, by grafting two into one double-wide chamber. Versus keeping the side mount 164 plenum. In my amateur calculations on getting things to live together, it's looking like I can keep the 164 AFM and throttle body without clearance issues. Hoping to maintain the stock GTV6 air filter box, as the filter sizes show the GTV6 unit is actually a bit larger than a 164 filter. The plastic intake tube on the two air boxes does show the 164 being larger. So, I may have to consider something creative (like your solution) in enlarging the square inches of that intake snorkel.

Peter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode