Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Burlington, VT USA
Thanks a bunch Avorio,
My used Alfetta servo may be a similar project to your Spider unit. I wasn't careful enough in tapping the pin out of the side connecting to the brake pedal, and snapped off half the yoke. I didn't want to try welding that back in one piece while it's part of the assembly. Worries that the heat generated might migrate back to the rubber membrane. So, even if my unit holds a vacuum I may still have to open everything up to separate the bits. Once I have a better idea of what secures that shaft to the membrane (I noticed those rings on the end of that shaft shown in your pix), I'll know which way to jump. I have an extra GTV6 booster that might sacrifice that rod. But may be easier to weld my broken one than crack into two servos? Never been inside one. So, need to check into what's involved once I get it opened up.
Your mention that the used innards from A.P.E., and what you found inside your used booster, seemed in fine shape after all these years... gives me hope that mine may not need a kit to replace those parts.
On my 24v project, I am playing with modifying a center mounted GTV6 intake plenum to give it more internal volume, by grafting two into one double-wide chamber. Versus keeping the side mount 164 plenum. In my amateur calculations on getting things to live together, it's looking like I can keep the 164 AFM and throttle body without clearance issues. Hoping to maintain the stock GTV6 air filter box, as the filter sizes show the GTV6 unit is actually a bit larger than a 164 filter. The plastic intake tube on the two air boxes does show the 164 being larger. So, I may have to consider something creative (like your solution) in enlarging the square inches of that intake snorkel.