1985 GTV6 24V Build - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

I was able to install a 164 two wire idle air control motor this weekend. Im still fine tuning the pulse width modulation map but its idling nicely. It almost handles the load put on at idle from the alternator. Im still having an issue when the second fan (at high speed) kicks on, or if I turn the headlights on while the radiator fans are on. I have done as much as I can do with the stock alternator and its just not cutting it. I will be swapping alternators next week sometime. The weather was unusually warm for this time of the year so it was perfect for a drive. I even got a couple of videos ripping it, sorry for the shaky video. Just click the picture to view the video.

trim.DD1A19E4-E0F4-4B72-90E3-48A7EABC9F84

IMG_6477
martym00se72 likes this.

-Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 07:08 PM

Garage
Wow!!! Terrific sound out of that 24V! You had to be tickling 90 when you were forced to slow down after that straightaway. Talk about gratifying results...

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #48 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvorioVeloce View Post
niiiice! that last vid - cashell rd in olney?

doug s.

post #49 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaloco View Post
Wow!!! Terrific sound out of that 24V! You had to be tickling 90 when you were forced to slow down after that straightaway. Talk about gratifying results...
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
niiiice! that last vid - cashell rd in olney?

doug s.
Thanks guys, I was so pumped yesterday. Both after figuring out the idle air control valve tuning and then hearing it scream. It pulls pretty hard, way harder than the 3.0L 12v we had previously.

I'm not sure of the exact speed. The speedometer needle is really short and its hard to determine speed at quick glances. That and the wheels are 16" and the tires are probably not the original circumference anymore. Yes that was Cashell Road, I take it you live in the area?

-Rob
post #50 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

I ended up trying a more powerful alternator and temporarily disconnecting the idle air control motor. The point of that was to see if more current output at idle was enough to solve the idle issue when the fans (or excessive electrical load) came on. I cleaned and verified engine and battery grounds. The voltage at idle is up from 13.4 to 14.2. When the second fan comes on with the headlamps on the engine starts to run rough.

The radiator fans have a 30 amp spike when they turn on which is enough to send the engine into a stumbling idle (which sometimes stalls it). I am going to install two inrush current limiters inline with the power wires to the fans. In theory they limit the current spike during start up which may be all I need. I will probably end up hooking the IAC back to help stabilize the idle again. Once I get the idle/current spike issue under control I will be getting it dyno tuned. I wanted to have all my issues addressed so that the tuners time will not be wasted.

Inrush Current Limiter 1 Ohm Ohm 20% 16A 0.825" (21mm)

Last edited by AvorioVeloce; 11-09-2016 at 08:19 AM.
post #51 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Yes that was Cashell Road, I take it you live in the area?
i used to live in beallsville, not too far from you. (just moved to jefferson, md last week.) i saw the md plate in one of your prior pics; it wasn't too difficult to figure out which street that was.

i know the 10 commandments don't condone this, but i covet your car.

doug s.
AvorioVeloce likes this.
post #52 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I ended up trying a more powerful alternator and temporarily disconnecting the idle air control motor. The point of that was to see if more current output at idle was enough to solve the idle issue when the fans (or excessive electrical load) came on. I cleaned and verified engine and battery grounds. The voltage at idle is up from 13.4 to 14.2. When the second fan comes on with the headlamps on the engine starts to run rough.

The radiator fans have a 30 amp spike when they turn on which is enough to send the engine into a stumbling idle (which sometimes stalls it). I am going to install two inrush current limiters inline with the power wires to the fans. In theory they limit the current spike during start up which may be all I need. I will probably end up hooking the IAC back to help stabilize the idle again. Once I get the idle/current spike issue under control I will be getting it dyno tuned. I wanted to have all my issues addressed so that the tuners time will not be wasted.

Inrush Current Limiter 1 Ohm Ohm 20% 16A 0.825" (21mm)

i have a couple of tube amps that have these.

doug s.
post #53 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

I made the most of this last weekend and took care of a bunch of tasks on the 24v project. At this point we are just refining and perfecting the car one nagging issue at a time. The gas fumes inside the cabin finally got to me and needed to be addressed now that “windows down” weather is probably over. The car was missing its charcoal canister for some reason. I received a nice used one from Alfa Parts Exchange. After removing the rear parcel shelf you could see how bad the vacuum lines were leaking around the gas vapor recovery tank. We got a nice hose kit from Greg Gordon which solved that issue. I also saw new fuel filler neck hose go up for sale here and got one of those to put in. The fuel smell inside the car has decreased dramatically but it’s not 100% gone. I then discovered the seal under the fuel level sending unit needs to be replaced and luckily found one at Highwood Motors. That should do it.

After seeing encouraging posts about installing a cold air intake (versus a hot air intake), I figured I would give it a go as well. I measured about 10 times and cut once with a 3.25” hole saw. I am very pleased with the results. While I was at it I added a Moroso oil vapor separator because original o.v.s. was puking oil into the intake. After a short test drive the new OVS is working as advertised and is easy to service.

I got around to installing two of the inrush current limiting resistors on each of the power wires for the radiator fan relays. It was a tad cold out yesterday but I am pretty confident this eliminated the current spike problem. Before when running with both the headlights and blower fan on, if one radiator fan kicked on at full speed it was enough to send the charging system into a fit. The engine would run poorly and you could easily stall out. Turning off the headlights or blower fan during this usually alleviated the problem but that was hardly a solution.
That is why I experimented with a 164 fan resistor to reduce the current draw of the one lower temperature fan. But inevitably, the one fan at half speed could not keep temps in check by itself and the second full speed fan would always come on eventually causing the current spike/poor idling issue. I am not willing to put this to bed until I lower the engagement point of the second “high temp” fan and see what the car does with both fans at full speed. But so far, it’s a definite improvement. Not bad for $10.

PSk, Savali 3.1 and ZaXxon like this.
post #54 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

The fuel smell came back. After some more poking around I saw this:

I will have to try and remove the putty to see what lies beneath. Maybe some new repair putty would do for now?

-Rob
post #55 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

I was lucky enough to secure a set of Jim K's custom 24v headers and cannot wait to get my hands on them. It required the extremely hard to find 75 Motronic (3.0L Potenziata) starter motor due to the tubing diameter. That starter took me months to find, with several failed attempts. I'm hoping to get the headers Jet Hot coated and installed before Spring. We also received a brand new 2016 Alfa Romeo badge to replace the faded badge on the rear hatch.

Notice the size difference between the two starter motors.

alfaloco and ZaXxon like this.

-Rob
post #56 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 11:33 AM

Garage
A new style badge, yet!

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #57 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 11:44 AM

Garage
Are you guys going to do a heat guard maybe, for the front giubo? Just curious, seeing the proximity of those big pipes.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #58 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 05:22 PM

Avorio can you email me the ebay seller's name? I've tried so many times and just gave up. Some sellers don;t want to ship overseas.

1996 155 V6, Squadra Tuning, RJR cams
post #59 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:15 AM

Howdy,

I see that you rebuilt a Spider brake booster can, in the process of your conversion. I'm also slowly creeping along on my own 24v conversion into a GTV6 project. I have used Alfetta booster can and pedal box to clear the larger heads. The Alfetta unit may need to be rebuilt as we check that out closer. I've not yet found a source for a rebuild kit for mine. Can I ask where you found your Spider booster rebuild kit? I realize the Spider components may not be correct to work on an Alfetta unit. But, your source may have kits for other ALFA models.

Some of the direction on details and arrangement on my project will be different than how you attacked yours. But, your pix and detailed reports have been of high value and interest on my project. Kudos on your project, and thanks for your ongoing input on the process.

Peter
alfaloco likes this.
post #60 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75evo View Post
Avorio can you email me the ebay seller's name? I've tried so many times and just gave up. Some sellers don;t want to ship overseas.
PM Sent, were you referring to the starter motor or the new badge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetmojo2 View Post
Howdy,

I see that you rebuilt a Spider brake booster can, in the process of your conversion. I'm also slowly creeping along on my own 24v conversion into a GTV6 project. I have used Alfetta booster can and pedal box to clear the larger heads. The Alfetta unit may need to be rebuilt as we check that out closer. I've not yet found a source for a rebuild kit for mine. Can I ask where you found your Spider booster rebuild kit? I realize the Spider components may not be correct to work on an Alfetta unit. But, your source may have kits for other ALFA models.

Some of the direction on details and arrangement on my project will be different than how you attacked yours. But, your pix and detailed reports have been of high value and interest on my project. Kudos on your project, and thanks for your ongoing input on the process.

Peter
Thanks Peter, I bet every one of these 24v swaps is unique. For the booster, I got a really nice used one from APE. When I took mine apart, it looked brand new inside so I reused everything (minus the incorrect length clevis rod). I'm not sure where to buy a rebuild kit. Looking back using the Alfetta booster would have saved me tons of time. The only problem is most of the Alfetta boosters are much older than a majority of the plentiful Spider boosters. The booster can looks very similar and the diaphragms might be interchangeable.

-Rob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode