And now for something completely different - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 09:53 PM

The peripheral design gains are massive! The brakes move outboard for easier pad changes (and where much larger discs can live than what the standard layout allows.) Sloppy shifting and the weak 2-piece driveshaft goes away. The engine and transaxle are now connected and remain aligned via a torque-tube and suddenly infinitely variable gear rations and final drive ratios and LSD setups become available!

We will be dropping the Corvette's single carbon fiber leaf-spring and shocks, for full coil-overs at the rear (with appropriate chassis reinforcement at the top on the GTV6 side of the coil-overs.) The DeDion is wonderful for what it was and these cars can be made to handle exceptionally well however, for better or worse, now you have an independent rear suspension!
Attached Images

Full-Race 3.7 Litre 24v Milano & 6-Speed Getrag; 3.7 Litre 24v Turbo Project!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Various Classic Motorcycle Projects
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 09:59 PM

One of the most stroking things that we noticed from our initial measure-up was how close the forward and aft distances are! I mean, the combination of the Corvette transaxle and torque tube (with the transaxle positioned about where the axles would exit to the sides), places that bloody torque tube bell-housing plumb bloody flush with the rear of the Alfa block!!!

The Corvette setup is WAY wide! The INSIDE of the rear brake calipers, fall on the OUTSIDE of the GTV6 tires, so we will be narrowing the Corvette's rear cradle by a totla of six inches (each axle / side-shaft will be shortened by 3" and we'll need a custom sway bar solution.)
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Clutch Search:

I used a combo of Google search and Corvette forums to gather names and info, and then went to websites to gather specs to see if any would fit.

The 'usual suspects' were easy to find... RAM, Centerforce, Exedy, Advanced Clutch Technology, Monster Clutch, Hays, Fidanza etc... But all of them were too wide to integrate to the Alfa's somewhat diminutive V6 flywheel (~11 inch diameter). Tilton was a last resort, but I didn't want to play that card if I didn't have to.

All clutches that mated with the GM 1.125" 26 spline drive shaft were too wide as they were all targeted for Chevy V8 use. Then someone on one of the forums mentioned a 'new kid on the block' from Australia, Mantic Clutches and their Mantic 9000 Dual clutch kit. (This hadn't appeared in my generic google searches) Sure enough, 9" wide clutch, capable of handling up to 900-1000 ft lbs, depending on configuration/disk composition. Seems like it would do the trick, and then some! Did some more research and found overall packaging/mounting would fit within the Alfa flywheel specs, but it would necessitate a custom flywheel machining to mate the clutch.

First order of business was to try and just buy the clutch... as all of the Mantic kits I saw included a LS1 V8 flywheel too... at considerable costs. Finally got a response from the Aussie mothership, who pointed me to the US Technical Director out of Atlanta. Geoff said they were working on a special kit sans flywheel but it would take a bit of time before he could offer me one.

In the meantime I needed to track down someone who could fabricate a custom Alfa V6 flywheel to the mounting specs I had for the Mantic. Again, talking with Turbonutter, he passed a long a person in the UK who had machined a new flywheel for him for his 24v Busso engine with Tilton clutch. Initial contact seemed positive and then the guy stopped communicating... as things moved forward on the actual purchase of the clutch assembly, things dried up for this UK contact. So I started searching US speed shops and all. Contacted a good 20-30 I think before Group2 found/provided a shop out of SoCal that was willing to take on the work. Phew!

While all that was coming together... needed to figure out how to connect the forward part of the Chevy torque tube bell housing with the back of the Alfa engine. What I really needed was an Alfa Sei bell housing that I could use to interface with the Corvette bits. But those just don't fall from the sky....or do they? Again, doing some searching I came in contact with the Euro/UK president of the Alfa Sei club.. who was more than willing to sell me a bell housing... for a very high price. For that price, I figured I might be money ahead to just fab something directly. Then not more than a few weeks later I went to the NWARC's 50th anniversary party, held at one of the founding members house/garage-mahal (2LiterLover). I was talking to another member who races Alfas & Bimmers. In mentioning my project and all, and that I was in need of a Sei bell housing, he immediately informed me that not only did he have one he was thinking about selling, but it was in the trunk of his car, not more than 30 yards away! After some more talking and pleading, it was mine for a very, very reasonable price. Manna from heaven. Sei bell housings really do fall from the sky!

Here's a pic of the Mantic with the V8 flywheel that it normally comes with. Pics of mine with the custom flywheel will be provided later on.
Attached Images

Ron
95 164LS - Black Bomber - 6sp w/Q2 LSD

Last edited by Renaldo; 03-28-2017 at 01:23 AM.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 10:05 PM

Even with a narrowed stance, the GTV6 will still be getting some flared fenders... Perhaps something custom - similar to what we are doing for the Monster Milano's as seen here...
Attached Images

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Was down in Texas last week on business, and nothing further to report. We were waiting on some additional interface parts for the Corvette IRS and should have more to report shortly. Still in a 'ramp up mode' as we piece together critical parts, make more refined measurements and plot a focused plan of attack on how to make this all fit.

Ron
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Wheels:

So as we plan our attack on cutting in to the shell of the car... I'll leave you with this as 'filler' while major decisions are being made on the integration of Vette bits.

What kind of wheels would I want? For all the Alfetta GT's (Sprint Veloce's) that I owned over the years, I always sought out and purchased the Cromodora 5 star 'Daytona' wheels. Just something about those wheels that really mesh with the Italian design overall. They were so cool on the Alfetta hatchback! While there are other wheels out there that do a fine job of complimenting the car, nothing like the 5 star Daytona style that really nails it, IMHO. These were of course, 4 stud, 14" wheels. What to find for a GTV6?

While there are a number of exciting wheels available for the GTV6 (Asez, SZ's, and a host of others) I decided I wanted to find something close to those Cromodora Daytonas. HRE makes the 505 series which from what I see, is very expensive.... and Compomotive made the TS series. I wanted a larger wheel... 17"... and I knew that Compomotive made the TS701's that were of that size and were period correct. I began my search for these wheels back when I was still pursuing the 12v 3L engine. Came close to winning a set of Compo TS's on eBay... but someone edged me out. It was then that I decided to contact the manufacturer in the UK. Compomotive's website has a classic & special order section, but the TS's were not listed there. I sent an email. Low and behold... someone responded... saying they had gotten out of the 3 piece wheel business a bit ago, and no longer produced the TS 5 stars. But wait! He would check the warehouse and get back to me....

A day later, the Compomotive rep informed me that he found 6 NOS 17" TS-701 center wheel pieces... and while they no longer constructed the entire wheel... he was more than willing to sell me these forgotten NOS parts. WOW!! While I wanted them all, something told me not to be greedy... I purchased 5, leaving 1 for anyone that needed one for a repair. Compomotive drilled the wheel centers to the right PCD and hub bore for the GTV6. BTW, center covers and blue Compomotive wheel cap badges were included.

I still need to finalize what offsets and widths I want for this car (I will have staggered wheels, possibly 7.5"-8" up front, with 9"+ in back). I've located a wheel company out of the LA area that will provide rims & barrels for these Compomotive centers. AND, now with a Corvette rear suspension... I had to have two hub adapters made that go from the Corvette PCD to the GTV6. The Corvette IRS wasn't even on the radar back when I purchased these TS-701 wheel centers ~5 years ago.

Here are some pics. Love this red GTV6! ( I think those are probably 15", maybe 16" wheels)
Attached Images

Ron

Last edited by Renaldo; 03-11-2017 at 03:02 PM.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 05:10 PM

I have rims that look super close to that. but they are 15"

1987 Milano Platinum Modified, 2001 Mercedes Benz SLK 230 AMG Kompressor
2001 Powerstroke 14' Cube Van 430hp, 890lbs tq, Its a Beast

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode