Organ Donor GTV6s for Parts - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfistaa View Post
Hi, looking for tropic air cover panel that goes below glove box.
Ooooo... the fascia panel for the Tropic-Aire unit just below the glove box is likely the very highest on the 'Most Wanted List'! Right up there with the plastic bezel for the sun roof handle. Those were only available for one or two years, and are very fragile. So not easy to find a decent one.

I have one I'm saving for my own project car. So maybe the best I can offer is a pic to help your search.

I do have a couple of the actual functional components to convert a standard GTV6 A/C to become a Tropic-Aire, if that's any help. Plenum with hoses to go to the eye ball vents, and the evaporator box with fan. The only conversion parts I'm missing are the fascia cover and the two small blocking panels for the firewall.

If anyone wanted to go to the trouble of recreating this rare part... there may be a few options. Have one laser scanned, and create SLA parts from the file. And/or, to make an RTV mold from a sample part, and make rigid resin copies from the mold. Either method could easily offer having the paper-thin wall thickness fattened for extra strength. Also, a one sided mold for thermoforming a dozen or more copies.

Any other GTV6 bits on your list?

Cheers, Peter

Last edited by planetmojo2; 09-08-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 10:05 AM

I see you have done some homework on this part. I'll take the picture and any leads on reproducing this part if you have them.

Other dits I could use:
1. Microswitch located on the heater valve assembly. This is a Tropic air item also.
2. Plastic cover for driver side seatbelt pillar mount.
3. A radio enclosure that has not been butchered.

Thanks,
Marco
post #33 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I see you have done some homework on this part. I'll take the picture and any leads on reproducing this part if you have them.

Other bits I could use:
1. Microswitch located on the heater valve assembly. This is a Tropic air item also.
2. Plastic cover for driver side seatbelt pillar mount.
3. A radio enclosure that has not been butchered.

Thanks,
Marco
Hi Marco,

Best to connect directly. Easier to swap pix.
uncleskeeter2@netscape.net

I don't have any radio/ash tray consoles left (#3). But, I can check into the other two parts, if you can send pix to show exactly which bits I'd be looking for.

We can discuss the molding option for the fascia panel then, too.

Peter

post #34 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Hi Marco,

I did find an extra micro switch from the heater valve assembly. I don't have way to test it, but could send it on the condition that you find it in working order.

No luck on the B-pillar seat belt cap. Thought I still had some. One may turn up when I'm not looking, tho.

Peter
post #35 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 10:23 AM

Hi Peter,

That's great, I'd love to have it! Even if it turns out bad I can probabbly match it to a new one. I'm pretty sure this has to be a generic electrical part.

Email me with shipping details

Thanks,
Marco
post #36 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 11:23 AM

Garage
Marco-- I do believe I have one of those black caps for the seat belt swivel ring. I'll check after work today, and let you know. Meanwhile, don't be surprised if Peter comes up with something... I've seen him pull the rabbit out of the hat before!

And yes, the microswitch is indeed a generic, Murican-made Microswitch (brand name). Single-pole single-throw, IIRC. Was part of the distributor/dealer installed Tropic Air system.

I know what you're going through with these details... we launched our parts quest over two years ago for my son's GTV 6. It was fun, and rewarding. Several members here on this BB helped us tremendously with that quest, Peter included.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #37 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi Peter,

That's great, I'd love to have it! Even if it turns out bad I can probabbly match it to a new one. I'm pretty sure this has to be a generic electrical part.

Email me with shipping details

Thanks,
Marco
As Dave submitted, you can likely find brand new switches. I can send pix of mine with any numbers I find on it, if that helps your search. I sent you plenty of input to consider on creating new Tropic-Aire fascia panels. Hope those are seen as good possible routes around an NLA part.

You can trust any flattering remarks that Dave offers about me. He's a man of impeccable taste when it comes to that topic :- )

Peter
post #38 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 03:42 PM

Peter,
How much for your entire stash of GTV6 parts, cars, engines, etc? Everything.

Rob
Alfas first, then everything else.
post #39 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Are you just picking on me Rob? If I thought you were serious, I'd have to do some major math.

Peter
post #40 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 10:38 PM

Thanks, Dave and Peter. Pictures of the microswitch would be great. Can you post here?
I'm going to look for someone locally who can reproduce the cover along the lines of what Peter described in his very detailed email.
post #41 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 05:36 AM

Garage
Marco-- Is this what you're looking for?
Attached Images

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #42 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 09:52 AM

Yup, that's it!

How can I get it?
post #43 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 10:06 AM

Garage
Sent you a PM.... thanks.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #44 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Hey Marco,

Here are 3 angles showing the micro switch. This one was separate from the heater valve, so I checked it against others I had here to make sure it wasn't an odd ball. We're good... they're all the same. I included a dime in the pix to show scale.

The raised indica was pretty tiny, but I managed to make this out without a lupe:

Cherry Elec. Prod. Corp.
Waukeegan, IL
E33

If enough here need the fascia panel for a Tropic-Aire A/C, I had e-mailed Marco a few options on creating new (and better than original) panels. If a dozen or so wanted to share the minor expenses in having some made... you may want to contact Marco on getting you added to a list. If my local source is still in business, I can have him laser scan mine to create a 3D file to make an SLA part as a master.

Peter
Attached Images

post #45 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 11:25 AM

Thanks Peter!

It's pretty much what thought it might be. This bit cuts out the Tropic air vents fan when the heater lever is engaged. I'm having to replace the heater valve with a Jauguar part as suggested elsewhere here on the BB. I will need to engineer a different mounting bracket for this, or a similar switch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode