Clitiky-clank noise from transaxle - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:37 PM

On and off throttle induced transaxle noise would more than likely be the backlash between the mainshaft pinion and the differential crown wheel or final drive backlash
I see no reason why redline products should quieten gearset rattle noises any better than other gear oils
For anyone who might like to try it Redline 75-90 NS is for transaxles, 75-90 shockproof is for 105 gearboxes
The NS means there are less friction modifiers in this oil. NS is good for new synchro ring wear but it won't quieten already worn synchros for long.
Redline Shockproof is a GL4 grade oil for gearboxes 105's and 164 transmissions.
https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=43&pcid=7
Redline 75-90 NS is a GL5 grade for transaxles with hypoid bevel differentials alfetta's GTV6 and Milano/75's
https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?product=58304

Cheers

Glen
86 gtv6 RED,LOW,LOUD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

x 74 alfa sud sedan SLOW AND FUN
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

x 76 alfetta sedan DOG
x 81 alfetta sedan HAD IT 24YRS.NOW DEAD

x 86 75 v6 2.5 KILLED BY A FORD ON THE SYDNEY HARBOR BRIDGE

Last edited by sportiva; 03-19-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:32 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

"I see no reason why redline products should quieten gearset rattle noises any better than other gear oils"

The Redline "Lightweight Shockproof" gear lube is completely different because it has an additive of microparticles which act as a cushion between the gear teeth. It is a seemingly thick opaque blue color although its weight is 75W-90. Pretty weird looking stuff. Works very well for quieting down gear whine, etc. I think it comes in three different weights. (www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/ShockProof Gear Oil Tech Info.pdf)

I bought the Lightweight version. It was recommended by my mechanic because he had a 308 in the shop with gear whine the owner didn't like. Redline recommended this, 50/50 mix with regular 75W-90 gear lube, and it worked well, owner going away happy. I tried it in my LS, and it did the trick. I was amazed. Happy camper here.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 03-18-2017 at 10:20 AM.
post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:44 PM

"he had a 308 in the shop with gear whine the owner didn't like."
Del I do not mean to discredit what you say if you have a car you intend to drive regularly or long term or daily in my case for over 20 yrs a GL5 is recommended.
The final drive or differential is where the ferrari's gear whine would have originated the gearset is much less prone to whine the reason for using A GL5 is that the hypoid bevel final drive pinion is lower and is further back against the crown wheel it has helical cut teeth that make contact over 2 or 3 teeth in a sliding motion and need an extreme pressure lubricant such as GL5.
Short term a GL4 oil will show no negative effect on final drive wear and may well help with gearset noise. Over the long term a transaxle using GL4 will show excessive final drive pinion and crown wheel wear but very little on the gear set if correct service intervals are maintained
Transaxles that have had a GL5 gear oil will show very little final drive wear if serviced correctly
In other words over the LONG term a GL5 oil is better for the diff because Alfa 116 / 119 transaxles have Hypoid bevel differentials

Cheers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_bevel_gear
Attached Images

Glen
86 gtv6 RED,LOW,LOUD

x 76 alfetta sedan DOG

Last edited by sportiva; 03-19-2017 at 09:39 PM. Reason: did't pay attension at skhool kant spel and me gramma is shite

post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:37 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

You may be correct for hypoid gearing. In fact Redline does say: MTL, MT-85 & MT-90 are not for use in differentials with hypoid gears.

Didn't mean to mislead anyone except as a last resort for reducing gearbox noise because of the cushioning effect between gear teeth. Forgot about the hypoid gears in the Alfetta/GTV6/Milano transaxles.

In my case, the crown and pinion gears of the 164 differential, in which I am using some of it (mixed ~50/50) is not hypoid gearing, but in effect is just gearbox low angle helical gear design. Should be OK for a long time, plus as I mentioned, am using ~50% or less that and ~50% or more regular Amsoil gearbox lube.

I did email Redline about this specific use before I bought it, and they thought it would be fine, IIRC, if you believe them.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 03-18-2017 at 05:43 PM.
post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:16 PM

One of the ferrari sites discuss a mix of Redline to tame chattering LSD clutches

Glen
86 gtv6 RED,LOW,LOUD

x 76 alfetta sedan DOG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode