'83 GTV6 coolant hose replacement - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 10-12-2013, 05:48 PM

'83 GTV6 coolant hose replacement

Hello fellow alfisti! I bought my '83 GTV6 at the beginning of June this year. It ran like a top and I did the usual oil change and maintenance, until about a week ago I ran into my first issue with the car.

While driving home from a nearby town (about 52 miles), I noticed the coolant temperature was increasing. I was on the interstate, so it didn't get too hot until I got off on my exit and into stop and go traffic. About a mile away from my house, I noticed steam coming from under the hood. When I pulled into my garage and popped the hood, a giant cloud of steam poured out in a very comical (although I was panicking at the time) fashion.

When it cooled down, I could see it was all due to a leak the size of a pin hole in the hose that goes from the engine to the T connector, where it connects to the hose that returns to the reservoir. The segment of hose is about 12 inches long. It was pretty difficult to remove as there isn't much room to get a screw driver to remove the hose clamps, and even after I did, i ended up having to cut the thing off to get it free. It looks like the connections are pretty dirty. Can anyone offer any advice as to why this happened? I'm worried there is something inhibiting the cooling system from operating properly.
Also, although I intend to get the coolant hose kit from hiperformance store, I need to move the car this weekend to my garage where I intend on storing and working on it this winter (a 10 mile drive). Can I just go get a piece of bulk hose from an auto parts retailer in town for the time being?

Connection to back of block. Please excuse the excess bit of coolant that leaked. Its a mess :

T-junction.

Like I said, any advice on what caused this/what to do next is greatly appreciated. I have a place to do major work on the car this winter where I would like to get it to as soon as possible, but at the time being it is at my current residence.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2013, 07:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to DOM!
A possible reason would be 30 years of heating and cooling while being exposed to the elements. I would be too concerned. Have you ever changed the hoses? The one that goes to the heater core looks a little puffy. Careful when you change it as the heater cores' connection is very brittle.

Usually coolant in the v usually means bad head gaskets. Have yours ever been changed?
Old 10-12-2013, 07:41 PM

I have not changed the coolant hoses in the ~6 months I have owned it. Luckily the previous owners kept a very detailed record of all maintenance performed, and I did not find anything regarding head gasket replacement. I will tell you though, that the coolant in the V pictured was mainly from the leak and resulting spray. I have since got in with a thin extension on a wet/dry shop vac and sucked out what was in sitting in there.

Since they haven't been replaced, new head gaskets is something I should probably look into doing this winter while I am at it. Is Vick Auto Sports a reputable supplier of these? Also, any threads/guides to direct me to?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-16-2013, 10:21 AM

Unless you have a leaking head gasket (oil in the water or worse - water in the oil) I'd leave that alone. Mine went 180K on the original multipiece gasket with only an occasional re-torque of the heads because of minor oil in the water.

Regarding coolant hose - I'd take the pieces of the old one to an auto parts store and match it up to something they have (I've always been successful with this - if not exact).

Changing all the hoses is a good, low buck thing to do over the winter. Don't forget to look closely at the fuel hoses too. They are 30 years old as well.

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.