Corvette C5/C6 transaxle in a high horsepower GTV6 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Corvette C5/C6 transaxle in a high horsepower GTV6

This is an entirely hypothetical question. I've heard that the stock Alfa transaxle starts to blow up over about 350-400 horsepower and I know there are more than a few GTV6s making that. I believe there was a thread on here awhile ago that featured a 600 hp GTV6 with a Volvo transmission and aftermarket rear end mated together and mounted in the back of the car. I was thinking about other modern, transaxle cars and the C5 and later Corvettes came to mind.

Has anyone put a Corvette C5 or C6 transaxle in one of these cars to cope with the power? How about just the differential mounted to some other favorable transmission? The diff appears to be a clutch type LSD, which is not ideal but still a good unit. Better than the open diff. The whole thing is aluminum so it should only be marginally heavier.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 01:02 PM

Nope, nobody I know of has swapped in a Corvette transaxle. At a glance it doesn't look possible without some major surgery. It's probably quite a bit heavier, the Alfa unit is actually pretty light for a transmission/differential, clutch unit, and flywheel, at least one that can handle that much power.

There are very few 350+ horsepower transaxle cars, of those a high percentage of them use front mounted gearboxes.

Greg,
Silicone Hose Kits
OKINJECTORS--Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Injector Cleaning Services + Remanufacturing in Oklahoma

P.S. a 300hp GTV6 is a very fast car.
post #3 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 09:05 PM

Why? When u could use a front mount getrag , rb25 or tremec t56 gearbox that will hold 500 + horses for less work and less money / purchase cost?

79 GTV Sr20-Track/Drift ~ 83 GTV6 3ltr 24v-Street ~ 83 GTV-Street ~ 76 GT,75TS x 3,164,85 GTV,S13 silvia-Parts cars ~ VT SS Ls1 6spd-Track ~ e30 318i 2dr-Daily

post #4 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 04:02 PM

another interesting thought would be the porsche 928 transaxle, although im not sure if the 5 speed boxes had the clutch next to the engine or in the back.. the 3 speed Auto boxes had the torque converter in the back with the transaxle.
post #5 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Brad, mostly hypothetical but purchase cost and horsepower capabilities are considerations. Also, I'm sure many of us would rather keep the car a rear transaxle for a variety of reasons.

Smotheredsteak, do you know what the difference between the 924/944 and the 928 transaxle is? Because those would also be an option.
post #6 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 04:12 PM

i do. the 944 transaxle is based off of the FWD Audi gearbox, meaning the gearset is BEHIND the differential, whereas on the 928 the gearsets are in front of the diff., like the alfa gearboxes.

i was both a FWD audi 5000 and a 944 owner at one point. there was a problem with blowing pinion gears while doing a hard 2nd gear shift with these boxes.

Last edited by smotheredsteak; 10-18-2012 at 04:14 PM.
post #7 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

So do you think the 928 T/A would be a significant improvement over the Alfa T/A? Those only came with 220 hp stock, it might not be built that much stouter.
post #8 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 06:19 PM

I imagine the 928 box can hold more, but I really don't know.

The problem I have is this. To get over 400hp in a GTV6 you will probably need another engine, like a 3.0 from a Milano as a minimum, probably something even newer, along with another transaxle, driveshaft, clutch, guibos or u-joints. All this means changing the rear axles and brakes. When considering all of this, it seems to make more sense to me to start with a different car if you want 500hp.

Greg,
Silicone Hose Kits
OKINJECTORS--Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Injector Cleaning Services + Remanufacturing in Oklahoma
formerfiatfrank likes this.
post #9 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 08:17 PM

you must realize an alfa is an alfa, and if you want 500 hp you should buy a corvette. i can sleep peacefully everynight by living this rule.. however i will NEVER buy a corvette..

the mid 80's to early 90's with the 32 valve engines, the 928 was doing 400 hp easily. some with 6 speeds too i believe.

79 sprint veloce-Driving Project ---- 99 MB 230SLK - DD ----- 92 Subaru SVX - project
post #10 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Duk

Garage
Even for a reasonably powerful track car that didn't necessarily have 350hp or more, a Corvette transaxle would be a much better choice. Much better shift quality, availability of well priced close ratio/dog ring engagement gearsets and just the shear abusable nature of having a transaxle that can take so much torque! Bouncing off curbs and over rises where the wheels get unloaded and spin a bit all shock loading the transaxle..........
Nice and reassuring to know it's all a walk in the park for the transaxle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smotheredsteak View Post
you must realize an alfa is an alfa, and if you want 500 hp you should buy a corvette. i can sleep peacefully everynight by living this rule.. however i will NEVER buy a corvette..

the mid 80's to early 90's with the 32 valve engines, the 928 was doing 400 hp easily. some with 6 speeds too i believe.
And why wouldn't/shouldn't the OP have a 500hp transaxle Alfa Romeo?
Just because you don't want 1?

Slowly Progressing Vortech Supercharged 1990 Alfa Romeo 75 Potenziata. Out of Action Twin-Charged 1988 AW11 MR2. Current Daily Driver, The Glorified Taxi 2006 BF FPV F6 Typhoon.
post #11 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 10:12 PM

It's not that I am against it, it's that I don't think the original poster has weighed the cost. For the cost and effort of building a reliable 500hp GTV6, you could have a 300hp GTV6 AND a 600hp Mustang. Believe me, a 300hp GTV6 is a really fast car.

Greg
post #12 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Well, the OP (me) isn't necessarily planning on doing any of this. The OP is just an engineer who can't stop himself for looking for the best possible solution to a problem, regardless of how uncommon that problem might be. Thanks for the support Duk, on that note I like your signature.
post #13 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 04:59 AM

The trans can be built to take a lot of HP, but its expensive. Theres a guy here who has a 500+hp Alfa 75 track car with the rear transaxle.

Alfa Romeo Gtv6 85
post #14 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 06:07 AM

porsche 928 wheelbase: 98.4
alfa gtv6 wheelbase: 98.8

i suppose the whole gearbox and torque tube would fit quite good in a gtv6. if you can find a way to mate an engine to the 928's front bell housing you might be on to something here! id bet even the shift linkage lines up! do the corvette's have a torque tube setup, or a traditional drive/prop shaft with dampeners?

79 sprint veloce-Driving Project ---- 99 MB 230SLK - DD ----- 92 Subaru SVX - project
post #15 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 02:12 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk View Post
Even for a reasonably powerful track car that didn't necessarily have 350hp or more, a Corvette transaxle would be a much better choice. Much better shift quality, availability of well priced close ratio/dog ring engagement gearsets and just the shear abusable nature of having a transaxle that can take so much torque!
How much does it weigh I wonder, but the availability of ratios has sold me on the idea.

Pete
Renaldo likes this.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
transaxle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode