Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Square Slide on Clips for Lower Trim Pieces

6K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Timo 
#1 ·
My GTV-6 got a good hit at the end of last year. Lost the front cowling and one side piece. Thanks to Plantmojo I've got them, painted them yesterday.
What I'm looking for is the clips that go into the body. Is there a good replacement? Please HELP!!

#2 ·
I'm looking for another 8-10 of them myself. Totally NLA, so eBay or a generous Alfisti is your best bet.

I'm going to experiment with a nylon/resin casting kit, using one of mine as a mold. I'm worried the result might be to brittle, but then again they don't really bear a lot of weight, so it might work. And restorers use those kits to manufacture all kinds of parts, from steering wheels and shift knobs to hood props.

Now, for the lower row along the side, you can use a standard plastic mollie (3 or 5 mm? Most Lowe's actually stock them in the hardware section, with the auto trim bits) in the metal, then use a stainless screw and washer to retain the trim. Since you can't see it anyway, no harm, no foul.

#4 ·
Ordered a couple of what might fit from another website simular to the one suggested above. If they work I'll send ya some cause I had to order 2 Dozen each chairmankaga.
Tell ya by the end of the week, when I get them in. Thought there might a been a vender that had the direct or simular replacement.

#7 ·
Too much for me 15.00 a clip give me a break. I'm getting 30 for 30.00, and willing to share if they work! The Square hole is ~3/8 of an inch, and the Square Clip is 3/4 inch square, sorry I'm a Merican. Got some pieces coming we'll see. If I go to a car show and some looks at my Trim clips I'll Yield. Shoot I still got the original Carello wipers on the car. Put 14K on her last summer after 5 years of hibernation. Fall drive to R.I. think I ran over a dead muffler, caught air Cool but not for me GTV-6 Best car ever 20 years I've owned this one.

#10 ·
So whatever happened here? Did any of you guys finds substitutes that worked? Mt. Carmel Spares (probably the Israel guy mentioned above) seems to have them at $2.20 ea. but if there are any decent local cheaper alternatives I'd be willing to try. If not I'll go with Mt. Carmel.

Thanks,
Kevin

#15 ·
Three Kinds of Clips

There are actually three different kinds of black plastic clips used to hold the GTV6 trim on the car. I call them the square hole clips because, They all fit into square holes in the sheet metal work.

The pointed one, as I recall is used on the front bumper flaps and twist lock thru the plastic flap and into a square hole. I think there were six used - three on each front flap.
The square ones twist lock into square holes in the rocker panels. The side moldings slide over them ,all in one direction and all at the same times. Need two people to do this easily.

I forget where the small diameter round one goes. Some one remind me.

Here is a pic of them.

Attachments

#16 ·
Anybody find clips that will work? Don't really want to use screws with nylon captive nuts if I don't have too. Once you push those nylon nuts into the square holes your going to have to drill them out if you don't have access to the back side, which you don't for most of the rocker. Just thinking about the next guy that paints the car..... I contacted Uri Schwartz, of Mount Carmel Spares in Israel, and he said he has many requests for these clips and is thinking about tooling up to make them but it will be 6 months to a year before he can get to it.

#17 ·
I was recently out in Denver and stopped by Centerline. Joe had a number of the round ones of which I bought some, figured I could rearrange the square ones that I had strategically to cover it adequately. The guy in Israel didn't have any left and didn't know when he'd be getting any more.

Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.