GTV6 Exhaust Manifolds vs Headers - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 09-29-2005, 07:47 AM

GTV6 Exhaust Manifolds vs Headers

Since headers for the GTV6, that fit correctly and work well, are not now available in the USA ( Ricambi states that maybe they might make another batch) I decided to travel a different route on my 81's exhaust system.

We all know that Alfa cast iron exhaust manifolds are perhaps, amongst the best in the world, I decided that rather than squeeze a lesser system into the car, I would "prodify" the existing cast iron ones.

After being matched to the cylinder heads, I sent the manifolds to Jet-Hot Labs in Alabama for their standard inside-outside ceramic coating. Their standard color is silver. Turn around time was only a few days and the results were great. The ceramic coating has the the look of chrome plating but with a slightly less shiny, mechanical look.

The manifolds are hooked up to the small mufflerettes with the flex tubing. The twin tubes go straight back to where the resonator was. The twin tubes are then joined together by a "Y" which then goes over the rear axle to an Ansa rear muffler, with twin chromed exhaust tips. This work was done at Alfa Import Center, Ridgewood, NY.

The resultant sound is sporty to say the least, being bearable at speeds up to 70MPH in 5th. Full acceleration is an experience ! The sound has a slightly high-pitched tone, reminiscent of the traditional ripping silk sound of song and story.

This "sound" is of course aided by a Greg Gordon Intake system, J&E 11.5:1 pistons and Colombo & Barriani cams.

Thus for 1/4 the price of a first class real header system, I have a set of good looking manifolds that are now almost as efficient as that header setup.

David
66 GTA (with side pipe racing exhaust -extremely, hurtfully loud)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2005, 08:17 AM

Performatek has CSC headers.

www.performatek.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-29-2005, 08:42 AM

That sounds like a great system. How well does the Jet Hot coating keep down engine bay heat?
Old 09-29-2005, 09:04 AM

Greg, good question. Heat does not seem to be a problem, this is, of course, an empirical judgement. However, I can say that even after a rush hour, bumper to bumper stint, heat dissapation is very quick and the usual "heat" rising off the engine doesnt seem to exsist. There have been times when I was tempted to touch the exhaust manifolds just to see if things were that cool. So, on the whole, the Jet-Hot coating works and underhood temps are way down.

When the engine was being built and the engine bay being seam-welded, Performatek was contacted for poly bushings as well as headers. At that time headers were not available and delivery times did not match assembly times. Performatek has always been very helpful and their service always first-class.

David
Old 10-02-2005, 07:16 PM
Gerry

I agree. When I put a 3 liter in my GTV6, I could not find any 3 liter mainifolds available so I had a 2.5L set Extrude Honed and Jet Hot coated. At the time (and for several years after) I had two GTV6s and it was always quite noticable to me in comparison that the underhood temps of the car mentioned above were cooler than the other car which had a stock set up. FWIW, that was 5 years ago and those manifolds still look great.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:04 AM

Hi Gerry, That sounds pretty good, I think I will go with that coating for my new GTV6 motor. I am planning on running it at 10 pounds of boost so I will need to keep the temps down a bit.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:50 PM

David: with due respect for your work and achievement, modifying the original manifold to something better, in my opinion no modification can make it function like a purposemade header! Personally I have a 3L with german made headers much like old Shankle headers. The company had measured an improvement of 15Hp over the iron piece. So I think there is no way the original manifold can be modified to achieve this.
The problem with the original manifold, as I see it, is that it has too short primary tubes, it does not keep the diameter around bends and also it is heavy. It very much holds back the exhaust instead of promoting it. The primary tubes in my header is about 1m compared to 30cm of the manifold, also the diamater is constant around bends. Also I tested my 3L with the original manifold first, then when the headers arrived I was in for a surprise: The engine breathing was much improved all over the range, but specially it was a new engine breathing hard at high revs(SZ cams) unlike before. So I can only suggest to consider changing to the CSC headers which has a 3L version if you are interested in using more of the engine´s potential.

Gabor
Old 10-03-2005, 01:57 PM

Gabor,

Does the CSC "SV" version have bigger primaries as well? Someone said it does, but from some internet site I found (now gone), the "bigger" version is only bigger at the end after the 3-1 flat collectors.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:45 PM

75 Evo: According to my info the size of the primary tubes of the CSC headers are the same. The only difference is the size of the exit which is 5mm bigger in diameter. This of course dictates a bigger diameter center and rear tubes.
You can check the dimensions at the bottom of this page. Look for a table containing "Fächerkrümmer mit Hosenrohr" = header and Ausgang= Exit Standard/SV.

http://www.autodelta.de/ADHome1/club...auspuff-6.html

Gabor
Old 10-03-2005, 08:16 PM

Gabor. You are of course right. At the time of my engine rebuild, as I stated, quality headers were not available. Rather than waste good money on an inferior product, I chose the route that I described. In the shop where the work was done, two GTV6 header systems were available for inspection. One was from International Auto Parts in Virginia, a supplier well known here in the USA. Those headers were difficult to fit and required "extra" work, plus they in no way resembled the quality CSC headers as used on the other GTV6 in the shop. Perhaps over the Winter I shall rexamine the supply situation here. Regards also to Torbjorn!

David
Old 10-04-2005, 07:43 AM

Thank you David for agreeing! In short time today I will meet Torbjørn in a GTV6 gathering here, so I will give him your regards!

If I find your mail adress I will also send you a couple header photos of different types, since my son is in the process of assembling his 3L GTV6 with CSC SV headers..

Gabor
Old 10-04-2005, 10:00 PM

Gabor, My e-mail is: davidrivkin9@aol.com

My postal address is: David Rivkin
177-31 Edgerton Rd.
Jamaica Estates, NY 11432

I will look forward to studying your pictures, Regards to all Alfisti in Norway, David
Old 10-04-2005, 10:29 PM

I use SZ headers. They're not designed for max power output (primaries too small for a modified 3.0), but they are light, and their primary radii are better than the stock cast manifolds.

I plan to change to something with about 1.625" ID primaries. If you have money to blow, Beninca motors have big bore ones. About 1.7" primaries.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.