Help: GTV6 Window Regulator - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 03-19-2005, 07:20 PM

Help: GTV6 Window Regulator

Dear Alfisti,

I have an 81 GTV6 that I am restoring. Today I was trying to install the passenger door window regulator. The old one was not in place so I had no reference point other than the driver's door.

My problem is with the length of cable. When I run the wire I can get the window to go up, but there is too much slack on the bottom end to pull the window down.

My question is what should the cable length be, and if any one else has installed one of these regulators before..... might there be some words of wisdom??

Thanks everyone.

Regards
AR1750

71 1750 Spider Veloce
87 Quadrifolio Spider
93 164 S
81 GTV-6
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2005, 09:49 PM

if i could hijack this tread in search of some window help too... how do u rewind the cable so it goes up when i push up and down when i push down. thanks Vinny

84' [COLOR=Red]gtv6 [/COLOR] 2.5 RIP
83' [COLOR=Red]gtv6[/COLOR] 3.0 RIP
02 Ducati Monster [B]DARKNESS[/B]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-20-2005, 12:34 AM

Send a message via ICQ to evilgidget
I've done it before... Twice in fact. It'll take you about 15,000 tries to get it positioned right, then the wind will catch the door & you'll drop it...

Easiest way I found was to remove the top pulley from the door & reposition it in the hole just under it. Then, assuming you've run the cable enough times around the regulator, you should have just enough cable to run around the door & back to the regulator, run around the bobbin once & then onto the hook. Then, with a little bit of consistent pressure on the cable, you need to wind the window up & down (works better with the window out though) just enough to tension the cable on the regulator bobbin. Then, keeping pressure on the cable, remove the top pulley & try to put it back into the original top hole (you'll probably drop it a few times, meaning you'll have to start again...). Once this is done, you should have enough tension on the cable for it to work properly.

Hope that just made sense...

Also, which end of the bobbin you wind the cable onto first will determine the way the window works (I think...)
Old 03-20-2005, 12:45 PM

Dear Evilgidget,

Thanks for the advice, As soon as it stops raining I will go out and try it. Also for every one's viewing pleasure some photos of my project.... lets see how she turns out when I am done

Arrivederci

Regards AR1750

71 1750 Spider Veloce
87 Quadrifolio Spider
93 164 S
81 GTV-6
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2005, 02:00 PM

Hello Alfisti !!!

Dear Evilgidget,

Thanks again for the advice, Its Wednesday here in the States, and the weather is sub par, but your advice along with that of AlfaTaso got the job done perfectly.

Having that window in is a load off my mind, thanks again. Now as soon as the weather dries out it will be time for body work.

Ciao Ciao Alfisti

Regards AR1750

71 1750 Spider Veloce
87 Quadrifoglio Spider
93 164 S
81 GTV-6

So many alfas..... LOL
Old 03-25-2005, 01:59 AM

good to hear it went well...

awesome gtv6 btw, there's soemthing about a dusty ol' red gtv6 I rekon...

love it.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:27 PM

OK, EvilGidget, this is great occult knowledge, thanks lots. Will this operation solve a slow winding window? And is this what your avatar is demonstrating with her motions, or something else...?
03 Ducati 999
Old 06-01-2005, 12:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to muhraka
dumb italians, after happly finnishing the passanger's door, i turned to the drivers door, did a wind test and the cable jumped off... then i remembered this post
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/car-restoration/11424-alfetta-gtv-almost-ready-paint.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.