115Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 489 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Administrator

Garage
New Site Upgrade and Look Feedback Thread

Hello Everyone,

We're proud to announce that the new site look and feel has been completed for Alfabb.com! Our designers and software engineers have been hard at work on this for several months. It's designed to modernize the site, make it easier to use, and to make it more attractive to new members and guests that visit .

The forum software we use, vBulletin, by default is not designed to be friendly to the eyes or to look modern. We went down to the nuts and bolts of the forum software and templates, and have done a ground up approach. There are several things you will notice now that the new design is live.

1) The site should be significantly faster.

We have applied every modern technique to speed up page load and tested with all modern browsers. We want the forum to be extremely fast and easy to use.

2) The site will work much better in mobile and tablet views

We've started applying responsive design, and have designed and tested against android and iPhone devices, Android tablets, and iPads. If you are sitting at your desk or on your couch, or just on your phone, the site will work much better than it did before, and load fast. We are still working on improving the experience even further in the months to come, but we wanted to launch this as quickly as we could.

3) The homepage is bright, crisp and clean.

We wanted the first page users saw to look beautiful, so that when a new guest arrives and is debating whether to join Alfabb.com, they see a beautiful doorway, and they walk right in.

As a forum member you can choose to use the new design (which is on by default) or you can go back to the old design. We ask that you give it a chance and see if you like it. Like anything new, it will be unfamiliar at first, but we suspect that the speed difference will make you want to use this new one. If you do decide to switch back, the link is at the bottom left of each forum page, you pull down and select the theme called "AlfaBB.com Legacy".

4) Garages will be featured on the site

You can show off your Alfa, You can post pictures in your garage and share it with others. Make sure you post up some images to share with the community at the link below.

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

5) Users will be able to register with Facebook, Twitter or Google+

6) The side bar can be hidden in your user options.

Click on my profile / user cp at the top right.

- click on edit your details on the left.
- Look for Show Sidebar on Forum Pages under Additional Information.
- Click disable and save.

7) Another new great feature is the @Mention user plugin. You can tag members by simply using the @ symbol.

8) Drag and Drop image uploader

We hope you enjoy it, and if you have any questions on the design, please let us know, feedback is appreciated.

If there are any issues you see. Post them up here and we will get them worked out.

Thanks,
-Your Alfabb.com Team.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 489 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Administrator

Garage
Bump - We are now Live.

Jeff

Jeff
Community Manager/Admin
AutoGuide.com

If you need Admin support post here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 489 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 10:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to 81gtv6 Send a message via Yahoo to 81gtv6
Unhappy

So far the best feature of this new site design has been the ability to return back to the "Alfa Romeo Forum Legacy" style.

Will that remain an option or will everyone have to 'upgrade' to this modern look whether we want to or not?
alfabeach likes this.

post #4 of 489 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81gtv6 View Post
So far the best feature of this new site design has been the ability to return back to the "Alfa Romeo Forum Legacy" style.

Will that remain an option or will everyone have to 'upgrade' to this modern look whether we want to or not?
Yes, you will always be able to choose Legacy.

Can I have some detailed feedback on the re-design or why you don't want to use it?

Jeff

Jeff
Community Manager/Admin
AutoGuide.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 489 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 10:33 AM

Garage
WHOA…what happened?! Everything looks different…Am I in the right place..?!

Mike
1967 1600 Spider
post #6 of 489 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivace View Post
WHOA…what happened?! Everything looks different…Am I in the right place..?!
Yup - just some new paint and a remodel.

Thoughts?

Jeff

Jeff
Community Manager/Admin
AutoGuide.com

post #7 of 489 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 10:41 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Private message has disappeared

Alfisti,

I was typing a PM to a member, when the frame suddenly when blank. The status bar above and to the left indicates that message is still exists and wants to know if I want to send it.

While I am not the most I.T. savvy guy on the block, I have never experienced this before.

A little help would be so appreciated.

Thanks

Ray

Oklahoma SNO Alfa Chapter Director
'64/66 Giulia Spider finally back in the garage and painted
'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed

Last edited by Raimondo; 01-22-2015 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Correcting a typo
post #8 of 489 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimondo View Post
Alfisti,

I was typing a PM to a member, when the frame suddenly when blank. The status bar above and to the left indicates that message is still exists and wants to know if I want to send it.

While I am not the most I.T. savvy guy on the block, I have never experienced this before.

A little help would be so appreciated.

Thanks

Ray
Merged into the Feedback thread and I am on it.

Jeff

Jeff
Community Manager/Admin
AutoGuide.com

post #9 of 489 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 10:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to 81gtv6 Send a message via Yahoo to 81gtv6
In my humble opinion the reason I like the older format is the reason I like Alfas. Simple and pure

I want my information front and center. The old page was focused on the post body, it focused your eyes to the center where the specs for my 101's suspension were located. I am now drawn to how I can linkback my posts, maybe various display modes, sweet. Where is my information? Its spread out over the entire width of my screen as a secondary focus to my sweet stats on the far left. Garage? Am I 14 with my hotwheels play set? Mentioned? Tagged members? Quoted? Social media overload? #nothanks

I appreciate your time spent with the site to improve its speed in modern browsers. I am sure when I ever do have the overwhelming need to check a forum on my phone this will be a big leap forward. Its just my opinion, but I think @AG_jeff has 30 posts and are paid to refresh a forms look from a business point of view. Sorry, but I like legacy. That being said I can imagine the Hyundai VW and other more modern car companies fans love this layout and its interconnect ability with social media makes it a win for them.

Thank you for keeping Legacy as an option, that is definitely a positive of the site migration.
Wille R. and AG Jeff like this.
post #10 of 489 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81gtv6 View Post
In my humble opinion the reason I like the older format is the reason I like Alfas. Simple and pure

I want my information front and center. The old page was focused on the post body, it focused your eyes to the center where the specs for my 101's suspension were located. I am now drawn to how I can linkback my posts, maybe various display modes, sweet. Where is my information? Its spread out over the entire width of my screen as a secondary focus to my sweet stats on the far left. Garage? Am I 14 with my hotwheels play set? Mentioned? Tagged members? Quoted? Social media overload? #nothanks

I appreciate your time spent with the site to improve its speed in modern browsers. I am sure when I ever do have the overwhelming need to check a forum on my phone this will be a big leap forward. Its just my opinion, but I think @AG_jeff has 30 posts and are paid to refresh a forms look from a business point of view. Sorry, but I like legacy. That being said I can imagine the Hyundai VW and other more modern car companies fans love this layout and its interconnect ability with social media makes it a win for them.

Thank you for keeping Legacy as an option, that is definitely a positive of the site migration.
Thanks for the honest feedback, I just picked up a 14 Fiat Abarth and love it because it is quick, angry and simple also.

I will share with the team, hopefully the new look will grow on you and I am here to answer any questions.

Jeff

Jeff
Community Manager/Admin
AutoGuide.com

post #11 of 489 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 10:55 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I hate this new format. How do I get the old one?

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #12 of 489 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 11:04 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Many dislike change. I'm "older" and change is difficult, but not necessarily a bad thing.
My Thoughts? First, "Where am I?" Then, "Well this is a PITA", Then,"Lets see if I can navigate this one..." Then "YES! YES! I did it!" Then "Well I can live with this, some change and new is always interesting" and then my usual... "If I don't learn three new things today, my day is wasted."
So, it's fine with me (so far), and change though sometimes difficult, may have advantages. Lets see how it goes.

Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #13 of 489 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 11:07 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

the edit process does not work correctly, the cursor showing up at the beginning of the message, andyou cannot move it elsewhere, just reverts to the membership priveldges page instead. Not sure I like the new format. Visually, it comes across to be less informative.

One thing I've noticed is that the edit process seems to have a problem with it. I click on a post that I want to edit, and while I can erase letters and add others, sometimes it just reverts to the membership privileges page instead of letting me enter spaces or commas, etc. Got pretty tired of that. Took me a few tries to discover that I at least could add or subtract letters.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 01-22-2015 at 11:27 AM.
post #14 of 489 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 11:29 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

As I was trying to say in the previous post, the edit process does not work, as the cursor just shows up at the beginning of the message you are trying to edit. You cannot put the cursor anywhere else. If you try, the page reverts to the membership privileges page.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #15 of 489 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
I hate this new format. How do I get the old one?
This is in the first post:

As a forum member you can choose to use the new design (which is on by default) or you can go back to the old design. We ask that you give it a chance and see if you like it. Like anything new, it will be unfamiliar at first, but we suspect that the speed difference will make you want to use this new one. If you do decide to switch back, the link is at the bottom left of each forum page, you pull down and select the theme called "AlfaBB.com Legacy".

Jeff

Jeff
Community Manager/Admin
AutoGuide.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode