New Site Upgrade and Look Feedback Thread - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 115Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 489 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 11:32 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

And what is with the simplistic icons at the left side of the subject listings?

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 489 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimondo View Post
Alfisti,

I was typing a PM to a member, when the frame suddenly when blank. The status bar above and to the left indicates that message is still exists and wants to know if I want to send it.

While I am not the most I.T. savvy guy on the block, I have never experienced this before.

A little help would be so appreciated.

Thanks

Ray
@Raimondo - did you get my Test PM and can you reply to it?

Jeff

Jeff
Community Manager/Admin
AutoGuide.com

If you need Admin support post here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 489 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
And what is with the simplistic icons at the left side of the subject listings?
I am wrapping up converting those all now, should be done in a few.

Just a quick visual of what section you are looking for instead of have to read words. lol

Jeff

Jeff
Community Manager/Admin
AutoGuide.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 489 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
the edit process does not work correctly, the cursor showing up at the beginning of the message, andyou cannot move it elsewhere, just reverts to the membership priveldges page instead. Not sure I like the new format. Visually, it comes across to be less informative.

One thing I've noticed is that the edit process seems to have a problem with it. I click on a post that I want to edit, and while I can erase letters and add others, sometimes it just reverts to the membership privileges page instead of letting me enter spaces or commas, etc. Got pretty tired of that. Took me a few tries to discover that I at least could add or subtract letters.
Quote:
As I was trying to say in the previous post, the edit process does not work, as the cursor just shows up at the beginning of the message you are trying to edit. You cannot put the cursor anywhere else. If you try, the page reverts to the membership privileges page.
Yes I am noticing that, we always run into some bugs, let me look into it now.

Jeff

Jeff
Community Manager/Admin
AutoGuide.com

post #20 of 489 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 11:39 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Jeff,
With the new format how to I view my subscribed threads please?
Pete
post #21 of 489 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 11:43 AM

Seriously ...... get rid of this stupid 'recent discussions' / 'buyers guide' and FB crap on the right hand side of the screen. As a platinum subscriber and a member for the past decade, I do not want clutter and I'm pretty disappointed that there appears to have been no consultation.

[FONT="Georgia"][/FONT]
to all parts I have advertised on the BB so far. Plenty more! Just ask.
post #22 of 489 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Seriously ...... get rid of this stupid 'recent discussions' / 'buyers guide' and FB crap on the right hand side of the screen. As a platinum subscriber and a member for the past decade, I do not want clutter and I'm pretty disappointed that there appears to have been no consultation.
Per the first post in this thread:

6) The side bar can be hidden in your user options.

Click on my profile / user cp at the top right.

- click on edit your details on the left.
- Look for Show Sidebar on Forum Pages under Additional Information.
- Click disable and save.

Jeff

Jeff
Community Manager/Admin
AutoGuide.com

post #23 of 489 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Jeff,
With the new format how to I view my subscribed threads please?
Pete
You can use this link under the toolbar
Welcome, AG Jeff. Visited Today 12:49 PM Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 0. Subscriptions

Or

Tools dropdown > QuickLinks > Subscribed Threads

Jeff

Jeff
Community Manager/Admin
AutoGuide.com

post #24 of 489 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 11:48 AM

Fixed. Phew. Now to grapple with the new features ...
AG Jeff likes this.

[FONT="Georgia"][/FONT]
to all parts I have advertised on the BB so far. Plenty more! Just ask.
post #25 of 489 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 11:48 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Good job, guys!

The new styles require some time to get used to, but even after clicking around just a few times, I have no doubts that the site now works much better in Chrome (i.e. the new style sheet takes advantage of full monitor size, etc., rather than being crippled to fixed width).

One of the things that have not yet been corrected is the web server configuration for URL rewrite/redirection. Currently,
Code:
http://www.alfabb.com
and
Code:
coexist, which can lead to problems with cookies (I encountered this problem in the past on AlfaBB -- a redirect rule in the Apache config file would solve this problem).

Also, there is no site certificate and/or support for https, which means usernames/passwords are transmitted without encryption and therefore vulnerable to interception. Then again, I think any site that does not use a certificate looks amateurish.

But overall, once again: Congrats on a job well done!
Anfanuts and AG Jeff like this.

-Ruedi
'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, now a restomod in Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).
post #26 of 489 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubut View Post
Good job, guys!

The new styles require some time to get used to, but even after clicking around just a few times, I have no doubts that the site works better in Chrome (i.e. the new style sheet takes advantage of full monitor size, etc., rather than being crippled to fixed width).

One of the things that have not yet been corrected is the web server configuration for URL rewrite/redirection. Currently,
Code:
and
Code:
coexist, which can lead to problems with cookies (I encountered this problem in the past on AlfaBB -- a redirect in Apache config file solves this problem).

Also, there is no site certificate and/or support for https, which means usernames/passwords are transmitted without encryption and therefore vulnerable to interception. Then again, I think any site that does not use a certificate looks amateurish.

But overall, once again: Congrats on a job well done!
Thanks, I will have the team check it out, we are still working on a few things on the back end.

Jeff

Jeff
Community Manager/Admin
AutoGuide.com

post #27 of 489 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 11:52 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Smile

Wow! It is a great deal different, unless you've never seen it before.

When I joined the BB early last year, it was all new and different. I did like the color contrast of the original version, and the Times New Roman font, it became familiar and comfortable.

The original and other long-term members mastered all the twists and turns of the site over the years, though, I have to admit there were some features that I could not figure out or make use of.

A previous responder said that he preferred the "Legacy" format, but I could not locate the "magic button" that could take us back to the way things were.

I expect that in a short amount of time we will all become accustomed to this new version and the conversations will return to "Alfaness" with volumes of Alfaese spoken as usual.

Oh, yes, there will be bugs and glitches, so patience will be required.

Maybe, we can just switch between the two versions from time to time when nostalgia overwhelms us. Hey, wait, isn't that what our cars are for?! I'm going to list my basket-case '64 Giulia Spider in the Garage section and chronicle its restification to daily driver sweetness for all to enjoy with me.

It will take a while to adjust, but thanks for the hundreds of hours invested to help the BB remain one of the premier sites of its kind on the net.

Ray
AG Jeff likes this.

Oklahoma SNO Alfa Chapter Director
'64/66 Giulia Spider finally back in the garage and painted
'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed

Last edited by Raimondo; 01-22-2015 at 11:59 AM. Reason: added a thought
post #28 of 489 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 11:55 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
One thing I noticed is that the appearance of signatures has changed dramatically (both in terms of font and font size). Can the style sheet be changed so that the signature uses the old format (1st line same font and size as body text, other lines smaller depending on size setting)?

-Ruedi
'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, now a restomod in Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).
post #29 of 489 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubut View Post
One thing I noticed is that the appearance of signatures has changed dramatically (both in terms of font and font size). Can the style sheet be changed so that the signature uses the old format (1st line same font and size as body text, other lines smaller depending on size setting)?
You should be able to edit the font sizes, spacing, and colors here:

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Jeff

Jeff
Community Manager/Admin
AutoGuide.com

post #30 of 489 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimondo View Post
Wow! It is a great deal different, unless you've never seen it before.

When I joined the BB early last year, it was all new and different. I did like the color contrast of the original version, and the Times New Roman font, it became familiar and comfortable.

The original and other long-term members mastered all the twists and turns of the site over the years, though, I have to admit there were some features that I could not figure out or make use of.

A previous responder said that he preferred the "Legacy" format, but I could not locate the "magic button" that could take us back to the way things were.

I expect that in a short amount of time we will all become accustomed to this new version and the conversations will return to "Alfaness" with volumes of Alfaese spoken as usual.

Oh, yes, there will be bugs and glitches, so patience will be required.

Maybe, we can just switch between the two versions from time to time when nostalgia overwhelms us. Hey, wait, isn't that what our cars are for?! I'm going to list my basket-case '64 Giulia Spider in the Garage section and chronicle its restification to daily driver sweetness for all to enjoy with me.

It will take a while to adjust, but thanks for the hundreds of hours invested to help the BB remain one of the premier sites of its kind on the net.

Ray
Thanks for the kinda words Ray,

You can choose the old style in the bottom left corner in the drop down box where it says "Alfa Romeo Forum" and choose Legacy.

Jeff

Jeff
Community Manager/Admin
AutoGuide.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode