Dustin Hoffman driving a duetto tonight on 60 minutes - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 11-28-2004, 01:06 PM

Dustin Hoffman driving a duetto tonight on 60 minutes

Tonight's 60 minutes has a interview with Dustin Hoffman. Part of the segment has Hoffman driving the Cal coast in a 67 Duetto. Who's is it?

--Dave
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2004, 01:47 PM

Is there any chance a US-based BB'er could record and make into a file for d/loading?

Thanks if you can!
Old 11-28-2004, 01:52 PM

Here's the link on 60 Minutes website about the story:

60 Minutes
Old 11-28-2004, 03:24 PM

Cool. Perhaps this will give the value of roundtails a boost similar to the GT price increase after the satellite radio TV ad.

Joe
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-28-2004, 06:35 PM

If you blinked you missed the 1 minute Duetto segment of the show. The rest of the interview focused on the center of the universe,that being Hoffman himself.

--Dave
Old 11-28-2004, 06:46 PM

It was a little disappointing. I was hoping to see/hear the car run up through the gears like it did in the movie. Hoffman is a great actor, but it was the car that boosted him to stardom
Old 11-28-2004, 06:53 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

The car sure was purty though. Whoever owns that must be proud. I saw the original Spider from the movie at Alfas West in Denver, it had been turned into a track car a long time ago.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:20 PM

The car is a 1967 Duetto with 1969 Spider seats. It was restored for someone who owned a catering company in the early 90's and the later purchased in the mid 90's by Beverly Hills 90210 star Jason Priesley. He had the car for a few years before putting it on consignment at Grand Prix Classics in Hollywood, CA. The current owner had had the car for at least five years now. It's a really nice car and still has it's original 1600.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to Hit an Apex
Jason Priesley is an idiot. He nearly killed himself in a mini-IRL/Death car/crapwagon. Stay Champ Car.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:42 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Did anyone notice that the shot of Dustin first sitting in the car, he is looking at the corner of the door opening? I think he biffed his back on the little piece of chrome there !! I've done that a half dozen times till I got smart.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:49 AM

I agree, the feature spent too much time on Dustin. I wanted to hear the enigne of the Spider that made the movie!!
Old 11-29-2004, 09:56 AM
Gold Subscriber

After talking to Dale Macgowan at Alfa West I understand there were two identical Duettos used in the movie. When the cars were returned to Alfa after filming was completed one car was immediately converted into a racecar. This car was run in SCCA events in '68 and '69 with factory support. Dale and his dad bought the car at the end of 1969 and raced it thereafter winning several SCCA regional titles and finishing in the top 5 nationally in the early 1970s. Dale still owns and races the car occasionally.

What happened to the other car used in the making of "The Graduate" is a mystery!
Old 11-29-2004, 03:35 PM

The other Alfa is probably parked next to Steve McQueen's Mustang from "Bullitt".
Old 11-29-2004, 03:46 PM

A couple of years ago I spoke to a former management employee at alfa who worked on the west coast during the 60's and 70's for the company. He told me that two cars were used in filming. Alfa furnished the first car free. Apparently Hoffman had an accident in the car while filming. The film company needed another car to use as filming was not complete. When word got back to Italy that the car had been damaged, the alfa prez got PO'd and made the film company BUY a new car. Supposedly there a subtle differences in the cars that can be seen in the movie. Alfa probably took the damaged car back and destroyed it.

--Dave
Old 11-29-2004, 07:24 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to John M Send a message via Yahoo to John M
Some pictures from the interview....

Best Regards,
John M
Attached Images

1991 AR 164L........................the fourth and traded on the SS....Rosso
1965 AR Sprint Speciale..........the fifth...in boxes....sold....Bianco
1978 AR Spider Veloce 2000....the sixth gone to be a parts car...slow black
1993 AR Spider Veloce...........the seventh, freshening up to be sold....Verde Inglese
1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi.............the first, fresh restore....Azzurro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.