Brand New Alfa Spider in the States - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 04-01-2008, 05:39 PM

I know, I had noticed the license plate frame and no plate which is against the law in Belgium or in France but it is easily done with Photoshop.
It could be in the US but where do you get this car registered ?
Especially when you do not see the plate of the alfa neither !
Claude:-)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2008, 02:41 AM

There's been at least..4 different "New" Alfa's I've seen in various magazine's and on the forums, driving around in the US. One for example..

Alfa Romeo Spider feature - Italian American - Features - Top Gear

Not that big a deal really, although very cool, still, doesn't seem like something that needs to be "faked" heh. Could be a tester, or being used for a commercial, the 159 that popped up in LA awhile back seemed to have Michigan plates on it.. which leads me to believe there's someway to register these vehicles as test vehicles or for commercial use only...

I just hope that if they're testing these vehicles in the States, it's with the intentions of actually coming back to the states, but lets not digress about that here, there's 1200 other threads we could do it in... heh
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-02-2008, 07:59 AM

I believe the Alfa Brera/Spider were designed with United States emissions and safety regulations in mind, therefor getting these cars into the country shouldn't be to impossible.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:25 AM
In the Spider's Nest
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Zunige
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsis View Post
I believe the Alfa Brera/Spider were designed with United States emissions and safety regulations in mind, therefor getting these cars into the country shouldn't be to impossible.
It is a fact that Alfa designed these cars to meet U.S. regs, and actually, other earlier Alfas have also been designed to meet regulations... The problem has been in that they will not release the specs to anyone, so they cannot be presented when trying to import a modern Alfa. Of course, Alfa can use their own data...

As far as Spiders, and other modern Alfas being in the U.S.. well, they are here... The ones that have come over for testing and exhibitions are all in the U.S., and at least in the NJ area some of the managers that work for Ferrari have been using them regularly. None of this is a secret, although it may not be well-known...

As far as the poster who cannot differentiate his hemispheres, well just be sure he's never driving behind you!

Best regards,
164 91S, 93L & 95Q

Member of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA
DARKSIDE MEMBER
Old 04-02-2008, 08:43 PM

I shot the pictures... I haven't left the country in a couple years. That car is in the US which makes the background US as well. (Hint: Del should be watching the roads around where he lives.) Yes that is a new US spec Ford in the background. Since I happen to be a nice guy, I'll bring it to a local club event just to prove it exists. The other key thing is that dcalfa is right on the mark. It looks better in person than in pictures. Perhaps the camera adds a few pounds. When I first walked up to it, I wasn't sure about the look. It took a couple passes around it and it all started to fit and look really good. If you prefer the old spider, that is fine... this isn't that car. It doesn't look, sound, or drive like the old spider. It also has airbags, is reasonably comfortable, and sounds very good, though a bit quiet. It got a couple hundred miles on it last weekend... and yes Nicola, there was snow. Just not on the car or the roads it went on. It isn't licensed for general use on public roads but can be driven to special events. Come to think of it, whenever you drive somewhere in an Alfa it's a special event. I promised to put up a few more pictures and I will... when I get a chance.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:46 PM

The 159 in LA and this Spider came in the same way... same purpose... same owner.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Gold Subscriber

Yes, similar to the 159 in Seattle for testing by Microsoft. Really liked that 159 sport wagon.

Seattle

89 Milano
91 164S
94 164LS (Q)
72 Morgan 27
Old 04-02-2008, 11:46 PM

Strangely enough, I'm aware of a 159 that was in Miami as of March.

I believe it's in private hands but no proof.
[COLOR="Red"]My web sites:[/COLOR] [URL=http://www.users.on.net/~craigf/][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Craig's Place[/COLOR][/URL] & [URL=http://www.users.on.net/~craigf/164_page.htm][COLOR="Orange"]Craig's 164 Place[/COLOR][/URL]
Old 04-09-2008, 01:32 AM

Brand New Alfa in the US -- More Photos

Here are a couple more shots of the new Alfa Spider in he states.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2008, 01:45 AM
Platinum Subscriber

OK, that proves it's a fake. There are absolutely no streets in America that clean.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:11 AM

Smog/emmisions

The Alfa Romeo 159, Brera and Spider has engines from GM, my personal guess is that those engine are compliant with US regulations and therefore road legal, because GM has already certified them! that makes it cheaper for Alfa Romeo (FIAT) to enter the us market.

The 8C has engine from Maserati, that also sold in US

Fredrik
Old 04-09-2008, 09:36 AM

Of course this Alfa is in the best color offered - RED
Old 04-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via Yahoo to araknd Send a message via Skype™ to araknd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulia67 View Post
Smog/emmisions

The Alfa Romeo 159, Brera and Spider has engines from GM, my personal guess is that those engine are compliant with US regulations and therefore road legal, because GM has already certified them! that makes it cheaper for Alfa Romeo (FIAT) to enter the us market.

Fredrik
But the Brera, 159 and Spider coming to North America will not have the Holden/GM V6 engines. That contract between Fiat and GM expired and the new builds will be sold with Alfa designed engines again.
www.alwayslookingforanother.com
www.arocsd.org

1982 GTV6 (gave his life for Margherita)
1977 Alfetta Sedan(sold and driven into the ground)
1982 Spider Veloce (sold)
1986 Spider Quadrifolio (sold)
1991 164L (transferred to a good home)
Old 04-09-2008, 05:54 PM

Great photos! That's the first I've seen one in candid shots with the top up.

There are plenty of 96+ Alfas in the US... all here through various legal(ish) ways. In the last few months, I've seen a 166 and the previous generation Spider within 10 miles of my Dallas home...
Old 04-09-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulia67 View Post
Smog/emmisions

Fredrik
they are not the same, very different power levels, different emissions and so on...about V8 engine is it Maserati or Ferrari? Ill bet it is more Ferrari than Maserati, its even built by Ferrari

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.