alfa romeo now volkswagen mk2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 06-15-2012, 08:27 AM
Gold Subscriber

alfa romeo now volkswagen mk2

pretty darn pissed the topic got removed.

how can this topic not be related to the future of the marque?

populist rules for the worst. Wasn’t it possible remove the offending language or post but why kill the entire thread?

Ive been a BB member for quite a few years now, i dont recall if i was ever disappointed as this with the forum.

where's simon when we need him?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2012, 08:57 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbert View Post
pretty darn pissed the topic got removed.
The topic was not removed. The thread was locked because of hate speech and personal attacks.

Quote:
how can this topic not be related to the future of the marque?
There are several other threads with the same topic. In my opinion, it's the same as "Alfa's return to the USA" threads, the same thing talked about over and over and over and over and over and over again. Like "Groundhog Day."

Quote:
populist rules for the worst. Wasn’t it possible remove the offending language or post but why kill the entire thread?
Some posts were deleted, but the hate speech and off-topic rants continued.

Quote:
Ive been a BB member for quite a few years now, i dont recall if i was ever disappointed as this with the forum.

where's simon when we need him?
Things change. Some long-time members were invited to become moderators (in addition to myself, I'm aware of Roadtrip and Papajam) and we discuss actions to be taken in a separate subforum. I can't speak for others, but I believe all of us don't like to intervene but sometimes we have to -- especially when posts are reported as being not work safe or hateful.
Maintainer of a 2600 SZ register (not the Dutch one).
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
It is cautionary note that one hateful "behaving" bomb thrower got that thread closed. He achieved his end. Seems like deleting his posts or "restricting" his speech after a suitable reminder/warning (given) might have been a less draconian solution. As is, anyone who dislikes a thread's topic or direction just has to throw in a few ugly barbs to get it shot down. The road to serfdom is wrought with gatekeepers. Just a thought.
- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (pictures)(and more) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56 (pics)(more pics) (Blog) - for the heck of it now!!!
- Mr Meconium- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (pics) - for another Euro trip?
Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black - pics - SOLD
- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (pics) - LINK
- '70 1300 TI, 2L/4.10LSD, white/black - for a short while only . . .
- Benjamin - '76 ex-Nuova to 1600 Super (pics) - for the 2011 Euro trip
- '69 1750 Berlina (wish I still had)
Links
Pinyo's 2010, 10 wk, 8000 mi "Super" Euro-Trip Blog - LINK
Benjamin's 2011, 7 week, 3500 mile "Super2" Euro-Trip Blog - LINK
Gina Lolo's 2011 Alfa Convention, 3350 mile Roadtrip blog - LINK

Last edited by Anfanuts; 06-15-2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: added "behaving" as I don't know what is in his heart
Old 06-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubut View Post
The topic was not removed. The thread was locked because of hate speech and personal attacks.

There are several other threads with the same topic. In my opinion, it's the same as "Alfa's return to the USA" threads, the same thing talked about over and over and over and over and over and over again. Like "Groundhog Day."

Some posts were deleted, but the hate speech and off-topic rants continued.

Things change. Some long-time members were invited to become moderators (in addition to myself, I'm aware of Roadtrip and Papajam) and we discuss actions to be taken in a separate subforum. I can't speak for others, but I believe all of us don't like to intervene but sometimes we have to -- especially when posts are reported as being not work safe or hateful.
The way I see it the original poster and aldo are presumably from Italy. despite the bitter rants from one of them , I reckon they would have better insight of the current state of the Italian automakers than most of the alfa owners on this board that are driving 30-50 year old hobby or race cars. as much as i enjoy reading post of the old timer enthusiast i learn very little of whats going on with the companies today. Locking it is effectively killing the thread.

I don’t think this topic is the same as “alfa returning to usa”. I have limited interest in that. From my understanding Alfa already returned to the usa on a limited base’s with the 8C through a different network. I do know of colleague currently working on alfa’s today here in the ole usa. Plantmojo hinted of the many foreigners behind the curtains of the Italian auto industry. Contrary to what many on the bb here wants to think as alfa’s are purely Italian cultivated cars. He is referring to bangle, davis and robinson whom he had left out…all American born running the italian studio’s. I used to work for one of them in italy.

I suggest Remove or band the offender for a limited time. The approach to lock the thread is much like solutions of sawbone civil war doctors or the TSA handling of airline passengers.

For the people that thought the thread was "That rumor would be wrong Lets move on", “not true and not wanted” and suggested it deleted… DON’T CLICK ON THAT THREAD. nobody is making you read it. Leave for the rest of us that are interested. I don’t watch American Idol or Fox news but I hardly want to censor it… I just turn the channel.

my 2 cents

Last edited by davbert; 06-15-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:53 AM

there is really no need for volkswagen thread here, no plans for Alfa sale
Old 06-15-2012, 12:01 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

I missed all of the fun on that thread. So, I'm subscribing to this one.

I am glad to see there are more moderators.
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2012, 12:27 PM

This will be short because I am incapable of long post.

I simply stated that that people from Italy and Germany are different and the automobiles they produce are very, very different.

You might think otherwise but you cannot have an Italian car which is overseen by the Germans masters.

They think differently.

I might have thrown in a few nazi slurs to make my point but only because I have passion for the Marque.

My apologies to milktoast members who skin is so thin.

93 Spider (red)
87 Milano (not red)

Last edited by aldo; 06-15-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:38 AM
Gold Subscriber

Location: Rapid City SD, Black Hills of South Dakota, Queens NY
Send a message via Skype™ to Roadtrip
By all means continue the discussion on VW and Alfa on this thread.

Please just do so in a respectful, constructive, and gentleman-like manner. Gentlemen/Ladies can hold very strong differing opinions without being mean-spirited.

The camaraderie and congeniality of the AlfaBB is a precious tradition that the all of us want to preserve.

Last edited by Roadtrip; 06-16-2012 at 05:46 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.