Rinse and repeat. Alfa in America - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 01-19-2012, 06:26 AM

Rinse and repeat. Alfa in America

automobile mag today:

Deep Dive: All roads lead to...Toledo - Automobile Magazine
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 07:44 AM

Fiat finally figures out US market

It looks like they finally have us pegged.....
Attached Images

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-22-2012, 02:38 PM

I like the Kamal. According to SM, it will get the i.8 liter aluminum turbo engine, a seven-speed DCT gearbox, and AWD. It will have runflat tires and no compact spare or jack. I would get rid of the tires and change to suv tires using a tire sealant which is a fluid polymer plastic. Since it will be built in a jeep plant, it should get a Mopar 409 stainless exhaust system.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to lgbalfa Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
i know that there are a million threads on alfa's return to america, but what will the cars start at in price for an entry level alfa?

are they going to be affordable to the "general public"?

i know that it depends on the model, but for an entry level alfa?

20k?
Old 01-22-2012, 04:49 PM

It is coming next year for sure. It's called the Dodge Dart.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to lgbalfa Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrosen@mac.c View Post
It is coming next year for sure. It's called the Dodge Dart.
still not a "real alfa".
Old 01-22-2012, 04:54 PM

okay, then just you'll just have to wait for your 20k alfa. good luck with that.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:59 PM

They don't make "real" Alfas anymore.... I'm ducking.
68 Fiat 850

Last edited by NMMilano; 01-22-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:43 PM
Platinum Subscriber

And back in the day, they weren't particularly affordable. In 1969 (in Canada) a Berlina was $4000 and a GTV or Spider was $5000.
Full sized American cars (Ford Galaxie, Chev Impala etc,) were less than $3500.
chrysler corporation 1969 car prices
Alfa Dogs #13
Oakville, ON

74 GTV Race Car, 73 GTV
Old 01-22-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV4EVR View Post
And back in the day, they weren't particularly affordable. In 1969 (in Canada) a Berlina was $4000 and a GTV or Spider was $5000.
Full sized American cars (Ford Galaxie, Chev Impala etc,) were less than $3500.
chrysler corporation 1969 car prices
Yes, but they offered something you couldn't get in a domestic car, and few imports offered the same level of car. In 1969 an Alfa GTV had dual overhead cams, a five speed, and fuel injection.

Greg
Old 01-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Platinum Subscriber

I agree completely; that's why in January of 1969, I bought a Yellow Ochre 1969 1750 GTV to replace my "High Performance" 1967 Baracuda Formula S fastback!
Alfa Dogs #13
Oakville, ON

74 GTV Race Car, 73 GTV
Old 01-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Gold Subscriber

I paid $3300 for my 65? (6th one built anyway, don't really remember the year, maybe 64?) Sprint GT in 1967. While it had 10k? miles on it, it was better than showroom perfect, as the car had been repainted with umpteen coats of rubbed out paint, chrome redone to perfection, etc. Not a fly speck imperfection anywhere. That car was really ahead of it's time, with the above mentioned overhead cams, all synchro 5 speed tranny, power disc brakes all around, and full instrumentation, including oil temperature. Now that was typically what I've thought Alfa could turn out. It was a wonder to drive, being so in touch with the road it was on. I loved to find certain curves where I could set in in a nice stable drift from one side to the other.

I wish they would return to that sort of "driver's" car, rather than these electronic wonders, with monitor displays, etc. While the newer cars may go faster and handle better with all their electronic computerized help, I think that basic "driver's" visceral era is gone, gone, gone.

Seattle

89 Milano
91 164S
94 164LS (Q)
72 Morgan 27
Old 01-22-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Gordon View Post
Yes, but they offered something you couldn't get in a domestic car, and few imports offered the same level of car. In 1969 an Alfa GTV had dual overhead cams, a five speed, and fuel injection.

Greg
Good point. And disc brakes.
Today if you look at " affordable" let's say under $30k, they all pretty much have the same technology and they even look similar.

At one time the type of car said a lot about a person, for example you knew the driver of a BMW 2002 or Alfa Berlina was a "car person" and probably knew how to drive. Look at what's happened to BMW, they still make fine cars but the majority of owners are more interested in the satement they make than how they perform.

The problem is the companies need volume to survive. I first noticed it on a trip to europe when the Alfa 156 came out, pretty neat car but the next year they were everywhere, even in rental fleets, I hope to never own a car that's in a rental fleet. A success for Alfa but no longer a unique car.

Today it's difficult for a manufacturer to be different especially at an affordable price.
68 Fiat 850
Old 01-22-2012, 10:36 PM

Wink

A new '65 GTV was about the same money as my '65 Vette......
I would expect any new Alfa to cost at least as much as a new Vette.
Attached Images

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
Old 01-23-2012, 01:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgbalfa View Post
still not a "real alfa".
There has not been a real Alfa Romeo since I think the 164, so I really don't understand this comment.

The Guiletta's I have seen in Sydney are stuning and really look a millions miles better than the embarrassing Mito (which is uglier than the FIAT Punto that it shares the platform with).

I'd also rather own a FIAT Alfa than a Jeep or Chrysler Alfa anyday. Jeep equates to rubbish in my book and while I respect some Chryslers they are so not into driver involvement and cornering that the resulting "car" will not have one single thing in common with what we consider important for an Alfa.

If this is the only way they can sell Alfas in America, then I suggest seriously they close the brand. Maserati enthusiasts must be struggling to get out of bed in the morning too ... so bloody sad.

First we have GM engines in modern Alfas with the 159 v6, and now we are going to build Alfas on Jeep platforms ... holy sh!t please FIAT close the doors.
Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.