MG Mitten & Villem B. Hahn...what ever happend to them? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 05-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Gold Subscriber

MG Mitten & Villem B. Hahn...what ever happend to them?

Talking about going down Memory Lane, these were to great places to shop for auto accessories in the 70's. MG Mitten used to be in Pasadena and Vilem B. Haan was in Beverly Hills not far from the Santa Monica city limit sign.

I bought my car covers from MG Mitten as they were the source to go to. Remember COVERCRAFT? Here is a very interesting story and MG Mitten. BTW, you can order direct from Covercraft, as I sent them an email and they have a cover for my Super.

A very kind woman named Marion Weber would wait on you when you went into the store.

I bought my Steven Rally Calculator and tables there when I was a member of the Tri Counties Sports Car Club in Ventura. TCSCC used to put on the 24 Hour Que Paso Rally. (another story for another time)

In doing some digging I came up with a link to a website for the artist that used to do the cars and stuff for the MG Mitten catalog. Big Deal Art. Check out the website for Dave Deal. Its very interesting art. He did some of the cars for Pixar. He has since passed away.

Vilem B. Haan was THE accessories store. This is where I used to buy my gloves for driving on rallies and when it was freakin cold outside as the Veloce heater did little to keep anyone warm. I really didn't find much on the internet. Anyone have a catalog to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Gold Subscriber

I remember both of them very well. I bought mirrors and driving lights from MG Mitten for the '59 Alfa Spider that I had in college. I sold my Morris Minor 1000 for $250 and put that toward the $450 that I paid for the Alfa. I come across the ads in old Road & Tracks and Sports Car Graphics and reminisce. I'm sure they went the way of all the imported parts stores when the Japanese invasion took the replacement market away. Not enough broken Lucas stuff and Girling knee-action shocks to keep them in business.
1986 Graduate, 1986 Spider Veloce (parts car)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-10-2009, 08:23 PM
Gold Subscriber

Could you post a scan of some of those ads? Just to compare prices and what we could get would be a hoot to see.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Gold Subscriber

The first two are from 1958, the third from 1961, and the last two from 1966. Don't try to send in an order.
Attached Images

1986 Graduate, 1986 Spider Veloce (parts car)
Old 05-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Director BC Chapter SNO
Platinum Subscriber

Oh--that is a trip down memory lane.

I had a Healey 100, and then a MGTF, and my sister had a TR-3, and I recall the dash lights being too bright after dark.

Bought a small bottle of paint with a fine brush for painting the bulbs in the dash. Think it was green.

Don't recall that problem with the used 101 Spider I bought in 1965.

1962 Giulietta Spider: Grafite Grigio/Red Interior, "Tuned" 2L. [Sold June 2014]
1963 101.12 Giulia Sprint: Dark Blue ,"Tuned" 2 L. [Sold June 2014]
1967 Giulia Super: Red/Black Interior,"Tuned" 2 L. Added in June, 2013.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Gold Subscriber

WOW! That is awesome. I can't believe some of those prices! I paid $2 for my rally tables. I forgot that I also bought my steering wheel covers from MG Mitten. My Veloce steering wheel still has the cover on and safely stored away. Any one know if anyone sells the self sew on style steering wheel cover? A Lucas Flame Thrower which my VW had two of them was selling for $16. Try to find one today! Racing seat belts for $17.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Gold Subscriber

Excellent ads! Oh that I had a time machine!!! A Guiletta Veloce Coupe for $4194!

I like the "Deweko Electronic Lock" in the last one page. "Scrambles the ignition so the engine can't be hotwired" -- and so that no future owners can make heads or tales of the electrical system, no doubt!

Both my dad and stepfather have sung the praises of the Lucas Flamethrower.

Currently running: 1976 Spider "Baccione" - 2014 Ford Focus ST - 1994 164 LS - 1992 164 L (Canadian edition)

Past Alfas: a 105, two 116's, two 162's, and two 164's.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:33 PM
Gold Subscriber

Lucas Flamethrowers were the choice of rally drivers. Turn them on and you could see a good distance down the road. I ran mine with 100w bulbs so you can imagine how the night was turned into daylight.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:52 AM

I remember as a teenager, before I got my license, I would lay in my bed at night and read through the HAAN and MG Mitten catalogs to pick and choose what I would get for my future MGB-GT or TR-4 whence I came of driving age. I heard some other guys did this with Playboys.

I never did get the MGB-GT, instead I received a hand-me-down 64 VW Bug. I suspect the guys reading the Playboys had similar experiences.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Gold Subscriber

My first car was a 73 MGB-GT (in 1982). My second was a 79 Spider V which made me realize what piece of junk the MGB was. The Spider narrowly edged out a pair of Jensen Healy's being sold in a kind-of two-for-one, some-assembly-required deal. Neither ran but where 'almost done' according to the seller (who was in way over his head.) My dad wisely steered me away from the Jensens.

Did I mention my first girlfriend was a Playboy Bunny?

(Ok, that last part isn't true.)

Currently running: 1976 Spider "Baccione" - 2014 Ford Focus ST - 1994 164 LS - 1992 164 L (Canadian edition)

Past Alfas: a 105, two 116's, two 162's, and two 164's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.