Wanted 1969+/- ATE caliper cores rear and front - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

1969+/- ATE caliper cores rear and front

I live in New Zealand, and want to order a set of rebuilt calipers from the USA. But the core charge is $80 each for $45 units. Sending my cores from New Zealand is horrendously expensive, almost as much as the cores, and its complicated to have someone take them as luggage since the vendor will not receive them until after the rebuilt calipers are sent to me.

Does anyone have any old cores that are not being used, but are rebuildable that can be sent as cores?

I can make arrangements for the postage (actually the vendor sends a pre-printed docket)

The following cars used the same calipers:

Rear Calipers
ALFA ROMEO BERLINA 1969-1974
ALFA ROMEO GT VELOCE 1969-1974
ALFA ROMEO SPIDER 1969-1994

Front Calipers
PORSCHE 912 1976

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 01:11 AM

Garage
have you looked at classic alfa. core charge is less, but caliper price is higher

cheers ian

62 LANCIA FLAMINIA GT 2500 3C RESTO PROJECT (now sold)
64 GIULIA SPRINT GT 68 1750 ROUND TAIL SPIDER 70 1750 gtv
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITALCAROZ View Post
have you looked at classic alfa. core charge is less, but caliper price is higher

cheers ian
Hi Ian,

Rebuild in NZ NZ$750 for front and rear. Add $110 for pads.
Classic Alfa NZ$713 for front and rear (not including core charge or shipping)
Rockauto NZ$260 for front and rear (not including core charge or shipping)

That is a huge difference, and the comments on the rebuilder are favourable.

Hopefully, someone in the US will have some old calipers kicking around that are rusted, but good enough for cores.

Here is a screen shot. The $80 core charge per caliper is refundable. US$326 (NZ$453)for four rebuilt calipers plus pads.

Attached Images

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 04:23 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1750Spyder View Post
I live in New Zealand, and want to order a set of rebuilt calipers from the USA. But the core charge is $80 each for $45 units. Sending my cores from New Zealand is horrendously expensive, almost as much as the cores, and its complicated to have someone take them as luggage since the vendor will not receive them until after the rebuilt calipers are sent to me.

Does anyone have any old cores that are not being used, but are rebuildable that can be sent as cores?

I can make arrangements for the postage (actually the vendor sends a pre-printed docket)

Rear Calipers

Front Calipers
PORSCHE 912 1976

Thanks in advance
Not sure what year your car is but if a 1969 you need to be careful as some if not all 69 models had smaller front calipers than the later years; they have a different mounting holes spacing.

fwiw

ken

Ken Geiger, Toronto
1965 GTA, RHD, Stradale
ex- 1965 GTA, RHD, Corsa, Trans/Am 66-72
1964 Sprint GT, B-Sedan in 70's
1970 Giulia Super (CDN Spec)
1976 1600 GTj (Italian Spec)
1966 Harley Sprint (Aermacchi) 250
2000 Catalina 320, Hull #765 Northern Dream
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 05:52 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Were you the one who posted about stuck brake caliper pistons?

If so, stuck pistons does not always mean the calipers are not serviceable. Since the cost to replace them is so high, why not remove the pistons and inspect them and the bores?

Many of us have rebuilt our own with good results.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 07:04 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Here is something else to explore

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...e-upgrade.html

Oversize Ate Calipers

front brake caliper size questions

VW used ATE brakes. Note that I'm not sure about the dimensions of the uprights on the 69- at some point there was a change, but I think it was prior to 69 and the VW Bus fronts will work on your car. Perhaps they will be more readily available in NZ.

It -looks like VW Type 3 calipers might work for the rears, but I can't find as much info on this subject.

This ad shows the spacing for the mounting bolts - that should help if you compare it to the Alfa ATE rear calipers bolt spacing

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Front-D...615-1078ec.htm

Hopefully others here will have the specifics for you

71 Spider

Last edited by Lokki; 02-13-2017 at 07:28 AM. Reason: A little more info
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
Were you the one who posted about stuck brake caliper pistons?

If so, stuck pistons does not always mean the calipers are not serviceable. Since the cost to replace them is so high, why not remove the pistons and inspect them and the bores?

Many of us have rebuilt our own with good results.
At $750, the cost is high which is why I brought the calipers home from the local rebuilder.

But the rebuilt calipers at $48 each is lower than the price of full rebuild kits. They must have quite an operation to sell rebuilds for these prices. If I was in America, this would be a no-brainer.

I was eventually able to get all eight pistons to move but when I took out the first, I found that I will probably have to break apart the calipers to get in and sand the bores with 1000 grit paper. That means more seals and more things that can go wrong... and each thing that goes wrong means ordering a part from America or the UK. At $48 each, even with $28 each international shipping, it's a bolt-on solution.

The logistical problem is getting the cores back to the vendor without the international return postage costing more than the caliper. We get screwed on shipping out of New Zealand. If someone is flying back, I could ask them to take the cores, but even then, they are heavy when the maximum luggage weight is 23 kg. At the other end, I have to impose on the traveller to drop them off for domestic shipping. It can be done, but it is complicated.

So, I thought I could turn to the Alfa fraternity in the US to see if anyone had any old calipers sitting in their garage that are frozen and surplus. It is the easiest way to do it, if someone has them. If not, I'll see what other options I have.

Hopefully someone will reply saying they have some extra cores... the rears are the worst

As you can see from the one I cracked open, it appears that water must have sat at the bottom and rusted the outer portion. It is rebuildable, but it is not an easy job.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 02:10 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
I would not put Rock Auto brake calipers on my car. Who knows who rebuilt them and how it was done.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 03:20 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Guys be careful when you post opinions about suppliers. The Alfa calipers Rock Auto sells look like they are done by Centric- one of the biggest and most experienced in the rebuilding business owned and staffed by car enthusiasts (including Alfas) I and many others have been using their stuff for decades.
brianthegood and Lokki like this.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 06:26 PM
Gold Subscriber

I have bought 4 front calipers from Rock and have no reason to think they are not a good product but there problems with the business side of it that developed as the deal went along.

I placed the order from Canada using my USA dollar credit card and had the 4 fronts shipped to Florida

All good so far. Then I found out that they had shipped from multiple warehouses and the cores had to be returned to source. Then they refused (they said impossible) to issue me the return cost voucher because my us bank credit card had a Canadian address.

I salvaged some the core cost on 3 by jamming them into a flat rate box and return mailed from Florida at my expense.

So while Rock auto is likely very good for USA lower 48 states. Maybe not a great plan for the rest of us.

fwiw

Ken

Ken Geiger, Toronto
1965 GTA, RHD, Stradale
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i

Last edited by kengta; 02-13-2017 at 06:28 PM.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 06:32 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Sorry to hear about that Ken, just to be clear, my comments relate to Centric. I personally have never had any dealings with Rock Auto.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 06:34 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1750Spyder View Post

Rear Calipers

Front Calipers
PORSCHE 912 1976

Thanks in advance

I would be looking for a more reasonable rebuilder closer to home. Someone on this bb must have some leads for you. Maybe a post in a different forum will draw more attention.

good luck

Ken

Ken Geiger, Toronto
1965 GTA, RHD, Stradale
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:40 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
You must get the calipers with the "pin" in them and the matching pistons. If you install the later calipers without all this stuff (ie. no pin, etc.) your master cylinder will not push enough fluid to work correctly.

Good luck, but it amazes me that you are so not willing to just rebuild your own calipers yourself. The seals are cheap and available and there is nothing simpler on a car than a brake caliper, absolutely nothing. You could have all 4 rebuilt in 2 hours (max) and brakes bled in another 30 minutes. Sure they won't be painted or plated but otherwise will be perfectly serviceable.

The $750 for rebuild in NZ must be bead blasted, plated, stored over night in the rebuilders bed with his wife carefully caressing them, slowly put together in a vacuum sealed workshop with classical music playing ... total BS price for concours only.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PSk; 02-13-2017 at 10:44 PM.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:34 AM
Gold Subscriber

I am no brake rebuilding expert but my understanding of how these ates work is that square ring seal offers a surface for the piston to slide back an forth through. so the pistons need to be in very good condition and the Grove for the ring needs to be good but the bore not so important. just clean.

easy to do your self if you can get the pistons out. or maybe $100 per caliper is reasonable for a shop to do. but no plating etc as psk says.

fwiw

ken

Ken Geiger, Toronto
1965 GTA, RHD, Stradale
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:03 AM

Garage
I was eventually able to get all eight pistons to move but when I took out the first, I found that I will probably have to break apart the calipers to get in and sand the bores with 1000 grit paper. That means more seals and more things that can go wrong... and each thing that goes wrong means ordering a part from America or the UK. At $48 each, even with $28 each international shipping, it's a bolt-on solution.

It really is a simple job

62 LANCIA FLAMINIA GT 2500 3C RESTO PROJECT (now sold)
64 GIULIA SPRINT GT 68 1750 ROUND TAIL SPIDER 70 1750 gtv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode