Were you the one who posted about stuck brake caliper pistons?
If so, stuck pistons does not always mean the calipers are not serviceable. Since the cost to replace them is so high, why not remove the pistons and inspect them and the bores?
Many of us have rebuilt our own with good results.
At $750, the cost is high which is why I brought the calipers home from the local rebuilder.
But the rebuilt calipers at $48 each is lower than the price of full rebuild kits. They must have quite an operation to sell rebuilds for these prices. If I was in America, this would be a no-brainer.
I was eventually able to get all eight pistons to move but when I took out the first, I found that I will probably have to break apart the calipers to get in and sand the bores with 1000 grit paper. That means more seals and more things that can go wrong... and each thing that goes wrong means ordering a part from America or the UK. At $48 each, even with $28 each international shipping, it's a bolt-on solution.
The logistical problem is getting the cores back to the vendor without the international return postage costing more than the caliper. We get screwed on shipping out of New Zealand. If someone is flying back, I could ask them to take the cores, but even then, they are heavy when the maximum luggage weight is 23 kg. At the other end, I have to impose on the traveller to drop them off for domestic shipping. It can be done, but it is complicated.
So, I thought I could turn to the Alfa fraternity in the US to see if anyone had any old calipers sitting in their garage that are frozen and surplus. It is the easiest way to do it, if someone has them. If not, I'll see what other options I have.
Hopefully someone will reply saying they have some extra cores... the rears are the worst
As you can see from the one I cracked open, it appears that water must have sat at the bottom and rusted the outer portion. It is rebuildable, but it is not an easy job.