Alfa Romeo Forums banner

68' Euro S1 Crossover airbox / filter canister

Wanted 
3K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  BostonBertone 
#1 ·
After looking through many pics of other engine bays I've come to understand I have a different type of airbox than came originally on the car. I'm looking into correcting this for posterity and also to make mounting other items easier such as the coolant tank can't mount because the euro box I have now on the passenger side interferes.

I'm looking for the cross over aluminum box that mounts on the passenger side and the black canister that mounts on the driver side. I can see all the proper mounting points for these. Note I am now using webers.

Are these the same as the ones on the 68 and earlier GTs? Will one from a 1600 fit as well?

#3 ·
Not clear if Fran has one to offer you. If so, I'll take a back seat. If not, I have one, from a 67 Super. I believe they are all functionally same, though there are a couple different makers, with slightly different shapes to the lid. I can get some pics.

Andrew

#5 ·
It's a three-part system. The airbox with extended snout, the flex hose over the cam cover, and the filter can with a long snorkel that reaches forward under the alternator. I'll take pics of what I have. Still deferring to Fran if he had something.

Andrew

#7 ·
I'll need it all.

The aluminum air box (upper and lower)
Support strut?
flexible crossover hose / clamps
airbox canister / snorkle & strap
cam cover (is there anything special about it to accommodate the crossover)

I see some of these available on ebay and elsewhere. If anyone has the most or all of this PM me your email and we can discuss further. I forgot to take a pic of my engine bay this morning but will tonight.
I am certain this is the setup I want as the euro passenger side canister and snorkle interferes with the coolant tank mount and the alternate coolant tank mount on the drivers side behind the battery conflicts with the remaining sheet metal mount for the old air canister. I'd rather put it as it was meant to be than modify the engine bay further. I can sell my existing air box after.

#8 ·
Yes, the cam cover has dips in it where the hose crosses over. A 1600 cam cover will work but you'll need to make sure it's a later one that has the engine blow-by fitting on the front right side of the cam cover. Earlier engines had the blow-by tube on the rear of the engine block and no fitting on the cam cover. I think I'm remembering correctly on this, you might want a backup confirmation!

#13 ·
There's a clamp that goes with the canister to hold it to the inner fender, I don't have it. You can make a serviceable one out of a hose clamp, paint it black to make it look less home-made. You need a strut to support the carbs, but you should already have that regardless of which airbox you have.
The cross-over flex hose is available new. Used ones are typically cracked.

Andrew

#14 ·
I have a dipped cam cover, a strap to hold air filter, may have a rough cross over hose, plenums, and a vent hose. The correct clamps for the crossover tubes are hard to find but repro's are available but pricy, been looking for a plenum support rod myself, you may also need the longer strut from the motor mount to the lower half of the intake plenum. Fran

#15 · (Edited)
I see the cross over hose available from CA.

My weber carbs are new and supported properly so I am hoping that will all bolt up.

I'll look closely tonight to verify some items. I have a small concern that the 40 DCOE Weber mounting holes may not line up. The original had Dellorto carbs. Some modification was needed to get my current airbox to work.

Once I verify these I'll probably be in touch with you both to work out some deals.

#17 ·
Yup. Saw those as well. Curious if this is Andrew's plenum?
Any how I have a few options and will start collecting what I need soon.

Here are some photos I took this morning. It warmed up to 50!
I have the wrong valve cover but the replacement needs the tabs on the front. The sheet metal is there for the canister.

Attachments

#18 ·
That's a Euro-style airbox with the log filter, came into use 69/70? The crossover type was used from the start of the 1600 series with the Sprint GT, 1964 or so, continued through early carbed 1750 Berlinas, GTVs, perhaps Duettos, not certain what year the change was, might have come in with hanging pedals, mid 1970.

I think what I have was just like Fran's.

Andrew

#19 ·
Is there anyway to tell if my motor is from a different year than 1968? The PO was creative in sourcing parts and I don't take anything for granted anymore. e.g. I have a door with pulleys for cables despite having the S1 winder mechanism. While I like the current airbox I would just assume get things the way they should be so I don't have odd vestigial sheet metal in the engine bay and a proper place for everything. I'll likely flip the euro airbox I have to fund the crossover parts.

#22 ·
Canister Still Needed

Its coming together however I'm still looking for the black airbox canister and snorkle. I've been a little too slow on the trigger here and too conservative on ebay. This is the guy I need to finish it off if there are more out there people will part with.

Attachments

#24 ·
Here's a few pics of the set-up in a 67 Duetto. Note that the original included metric wing nuts on the airbag cover. Also be sure to get the heavy paper gasket that goes between the cover and the bottom of the box.

The filter canister has a rubber gasket that goes around it to protect it from vibration rubbing on the metal support. The clamp for it is in two parts, and tensioned by a long metric screw that goes into a brass fitting on one side.

And yeah, the bling is pretty nice (IMHO). The canister and strap are chromed, but the aluminum is just polished.

REALLY polished.

Robert

Attachments

#25 ·
BTW - there is a brass fitting that should be between the cam cover and the airbag cover that goes in the L tube. Its a flash guard (very fine brass screen across the tube) that prevents backfire flames from igniting the oil vapors.

Mine went missing at a service stop a few years ago. REALLY hard to find.

Got more pics if you need.

The carbs on my original car are Weber DCOE 40's. I put in 45 DCOEs a bit ago, but they are nearly identical to the 40's. The 45'd go well with my hot 2L motor that is under all that 1600 Duetto air box stuff.

Robert

#26 ·
Thanks. That is one ordered engine bay.

The brass filter I have a picture of from not2old4toys
the plenum I have does have a brass filter built into it but the one you mention fits on the end of the hose by the cam cover.

Good to know about the canister details. I'll probably make my own tension clamp from a spring tension hose clamp.

APE is tracking down a canister. Hopefully I can score one there.

#28 · (Edited)
Success

Thank you all for the help and parts.
I located everything I needed. VabeneGTV sold me the cam cover and plenum and let me snap some shots of his plenum support which I was able to fabricate out of some 3/8" stainless tube.
The air canister came from Spain and just needed some paint, a new rubber gasket I made from EPDM and a clamp I found on ebay.
Gaskets and hoses came from the usual vendors. I found a set of Roma clamps as well. It feels good.

Does anyone have a good source for air filters? I ordered one from CA but it is too tall by 1/4". They actually mention this as a selling point but it just can't close properly and has little to no give. I just need a couple wing nuts for the plenum but have a plan to re-thread some to the required M8x1.00.

Attachments

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.