Alfa Romeo Forums banner

FS:Fresh 1750cc Engine, Rebuilt 40DCOE Carbs, New Giulietta Conversion Parts

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  uptheorg 
#1 · (Edited)
FS:Fresh 1750cc Engine AND Rebuilt 40DCOE Carbs

Hello All,

1.THIS ENGINE IS SOLD! 1750cc Alfa Romeo Engine -- "freshened/rebuilt" but never installed. I purchased this on the ALFABB and shipped it from the west coast to New York where it sat in my dry warehouse until now. Rebuild documentation (receipts/letters) available. THIS ENGINE IS SOLD AND NO LONGER AVAILABLE
2. Weber 40DCOE Carburetors - CARBS ARE SOLD

More photos available upon request!

ASKING PRICE: SOLD FOR ENGINE ONLY NO CARBS

ENGINE NUMBER IS: 00548*66703

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Thanks for asking 101/105Guy --the work was done on the motor while it was under the stewardship of the prior owner. As far as I can tell from the correspondence and receipts (which I am prepared to forward to interested parties), the mechanic was William Schmidt out of British Columbia in Canada. Please PM me for more information. Thanks, Jim

#15 ·
TO ALL INTERESTED PARTIES IN THE 1750CC MOTOR:

I just called the prior owner of the engine who commissioned the refresh. I have never spoken with him, but I felt that I needed to see if I could get any information that would shed light on exactly what the status of the motor is and what "refresh" really means. He was very forthcoming and here are my notes from that conversation:

Back in 2011, the engine had blown a head gasket and the top was off. Willie Schmidt, an engineer by trade and a VERY experienced Alfa Romeo engine builder took off the head and determined what needed to be done with the engine. He put in NEW VALVES and NEW VALVE GUIDES. On the bottom end, the CRANK IS GOOD and Willie put in NEW BEARINGS and NEW RINGS. THERE IS ONE NEW LINER and the other was not replaced because it was fine. The engine has the original pistons which did not need replacing. The engine was "buttoned up" and never installed in any vehicle -- it has just changed hands to where it sits today in my warehouse.

The prior owner spoke VERY highly of Willie Schmidt. He says that since 1990 (the past 25 years) Willie has built many race engines for him and he never had a problem with any of them. He says that Willie Schmidt builds engines all the time and his reputation is excellent. The engine in this listing is, of course, a "street" engine, not a race engine. No full rebuild was executed at the time because Schmidt and the prior owner determined that it was unnecessary. The prior owner is very confident that this engine will be 100% serviceable in any car that you install it in.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.