WARNING Scam going on! - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 208 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 09:28 AM

We don't want these few scam artists to be putting a black cloud of suspicion over the rest of the honest folk.

So perhaps, if they request funds from Western Union or Moneygram, and cannot send pictures to show the part... that becomes the warning bell that tips us off. Plus, if they are not asking the right questions on part variations, when quizzed, if you become suspicious (like: Is yours the version of the tach with the reset knob?).

If anyone has any other tips to add, that could be helpful for all of us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 208 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 09:39 AM

I wouldn't rely on the photos either. I nearly purchased a part off another forum which had a picture included. Thankfully, I stumbled across the same photo on the forum from a couple of years earlier. The seller never replied when questioned, and vanished. Perhaps to help those who do sell here, buyers posting a successful transaction might help.

'83 Spider Veloce, 9k miles and counting
'71 Spider Veloce, vintage racer still in pieces
post #18 of 208 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 09:51 AM
Gold Subscriber

I have been contacted before by a different person who lived in the UK. I think that most of the these people want to be paid using Western Union and not PayPal. I will not send any money unless it is through PayPal or will use a personal check. I believe that using the USPS for a SCAM is a Federal Crime and most SCAMMERS do not want to have the USPS Officials looking for them.

post #19 of 208 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 10:25 AM

Hello all,

I was contacted by PM by an Ian Tilman from Boston, UK regarding a wanted add I posted, a couple of month ago. He asked to write him to his gmail account: tilmanian@gmail.com. I got suspicious when I found out he joined the forum the same day I posted my add and had 0 posts. Sent him an email asking for photos, condition and price and never heard back. His BB name is bigpoppa1 and hasn´t posted a comment since he joined, the day I posted my add.

Felipe
post #20 of 208 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 10:34 PM

Latest on John Longman - when I pressed him for a picture he sent me one.

One handy tip is to put the photo into Google Image "Search by Image" and look for matches:

Search by Image ? Inside Search ? Google

In this case the photo he sent came right up as a previous post to the Alfa BB. Nice try but no cigar. I've asked him for photos of *his* actual part, but sadly I suspect that they will never arrive.
post #21 of 208 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 02:56 PM

Garage
I Too have been contacted recently by "J Longman", he pm'd me after I placed an want-ad for some 101 gauges. I asked for photos of the parts, never had a reply. He also asks for an email address and a phone number.

I see you banned him, however, today, I've had another pm, as I 'bumped' my ad yesterday. Surprise surprise, I have another email from brand-new today member "speciall", which has exactly the same m.o. He says he's Robert Levick, in the UK, and to reply to him on Levickrobert@gmail.com

He has the gauges, maybe I could send him my phone number and email address ?

It's always a gmail account, and he's obviously not bothered about being banned, he just registers under another name.

How can the BB stop this please?

Steve

GTA R
Giulia Ti Super Rep yet to finish. BMW 2000 NK to Ti spec
post #22 of 208 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 04:08 PM
Trained (ex)Professional
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

BBer user speciall has been banned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA R View Post
Unfortunately, there is no way to know ahead of time what the intent of a BB user may be. So the moderators can't do anything until after a 'suspicious' activity occurs and we know about it.
So, please, if anyone gets what they consider a suspicious email or private message through this BB, let us know via PM, email or post to this thread (which is now a sticky) and we will take appropriate action.

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)
post #23 of 208 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 01:56 PM

Garage
beginning to be envious. possible that longman contact everyone except me ???

the Targa Florio was not an easy race: it was love, insanity, irrationality, talent, dust. Everyone felt involved, the priest of the small village with a photograph of the Vaccarella, old woman who lay the sheet to the window of the feast to honor the pilots .... WAS THE TARGA FLORIO ....[FONT="<font><font>Times New Roman</font></font>"][I][/I][/FONT]
post #24 of 208 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 12:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA R View Post
I Too have been contacted recently by "J Longman", he pm'd me after I placed an want-ad for some 101 gauges. I asked for photos of the parts, never had a reply. He also asks for an email address and a phone number.

I see you banned him, however, today, I've had another pm, as I 'bumped' my ad yesterday. Surprise surprise, I have another email from brand-new today member "speciall", which has exactly the same m.o. He says he's Robert Levick, in the UK, and to reply to him on Levickrobert@gmail.com

He has the gauges, maybe I could send him my phone number and email address ?

It's always a gmail account, and he's obviously not bothered about being banned, he just registers under another name.

Steve

Once again, another username, just joined, but using "Robert Levick" again, see below:-

Do have a list of what you are looking to purchase? Can I call you? E-mail me on levickrobert@gmail.com

Cheers,

Robert Levick
United Kingdom.

Username autoshop, joined today.

Steve

GTA R
Giulia Ti Super Rep yet to finish. BMW 2000 NK to Ti spec
post #25 of 208 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 01:39 AM

Garage
In Italy there is the Postal Police who deals with these situations and through an email tracking 's IP

the Targa Florio was not an easy race: it was love, insanity, irrationality, talent, dust. Everyone felt involved, the priest of the small village with a photograph of the Vaccarella, old woman who lay the sheet to the window of the feast to honor the pilots .... WAS THE TARGA FLORIO ....[FONT="<font><font>Times New Roman</font></font>"][I][/I][/FONT]
post #26 of 208 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 02:03 AM

I've also recieve a PM from 'Robert Levick', in response to a wanted ad I had placed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoshop
Do have a list of what you are looking to purchase? Can I call you? E-mail me on levickrobert@gmail.com

Cheers,

Robert Levick
United Kingdom.
I haven't replied

'65 Giulia, et al.
post #27 of 208 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 06:34 AM
Trained (ex)Professional
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

User 'autoshop' (Robert Levick) has been banned.

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)
post #28 of 208 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 09:07 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Robert Levick scammer strikes again

I listed my personal email address in a Wanted ad I placed on this BB a few days ago, and received the following brief and confusing message to my direct email address today:

Do have a list of what you are looking to purchase? Can I call you?
E-mail me on levickrobert@gmail.com

Cheers,

Robert Levick
United Kingdom.

What led me to believe there was something hinky about this message, is the fact that I had clearly described the exact part I wanted (down to the manufacturer and manufacturer's part number) in my Wanted ad, yet Mr. Levick's message asked me for a "list of what I was looking to purchase'.

I don't plan on contacting Mr. Robert Levick (by email or phone).

Edward
'88 Quad - "Claudia"
post #29 of 208 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 04:26 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to concept 101
Scam

Same here, this came via PM the other day as a response to my wanted ad from this guy calling himself "Autoshop". I also got suspicious as there was no history, 0 posts and his query was constructed in an odd way. But I see he´s banned now.....

Wanted: 101 Sprint side glass
Looking for driver´s side original glass for 101 Sprint, complete with track

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers,

Robert Levick
United Kingdom.
post #30 of 208 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 03:26 PM

More about scams

As a an (ex) IT professional, I'l throw in my 2¢ worth on scam detection. Those suggesting a Google search on the image given are absolutely correct; recycled photos shown as the part in question are a dead giveaway (as is any lame excuse like my camera is broken/email wouldn't deliver, my internet service is down). Another site for a reverse image search is TinEye:

https://www.tineye.com

When I was asked how I would buy something of more value than I would care to loose, I always suggested an eBay "Buy It Now" auction, which would be paid by PayPal. You're covered (as of the last time I had nothing better to do than read the TOS). Most sellers would like that, too, even if there is a commission, as they have protections as well. WesternUnion exists mostly for the benefit of scammers, or the very poor (whom they scam with ridiculous rates to basically send a check). When you send to WU, you essentially taping money up on a telephone pole at a busy corner. There is no house for a Postal Inspector to knock on a door if they even want to investigate. Never, never send money to anyone that way!Not even your mom!

That said , there is very little that I would go crazy on- life is too short to worry about every $37.50 purchase.

Brad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode