S4 Spider wreck - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 12-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Platinum Subscriber

S4 Spider wreck

Greetings BB'ers. After reading several posts about Spider wrecks, I need to add to the list. A nice lady in a Chevrolet Tahoe ran into my pristine 1991 Spider this afternoon as I waited to make a right turn. I didn't even say anything until the police arrived; in fear of using the most vile, vulgar, profane language I have in my vocabulary.

I'm trying to get ahead of the insurance adjuster and have already located almost all of the repair parts. I still need a red center reflector (that fits between the tail lights), and a left side tail light assembly. NOS is fine.

Thanks for any leads...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Rear 1.pdf (106.5 KB, 208 views)
File Type: pdf Side 3.pdf (116.4 KB, 167 views)

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 05:55 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Ugh, sorry George. Glad you're okay.

1991 Spider
1987 Milano Gold
1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-15-2011, 03:11 AM
Gold Subscriber

OUCH!! Hope your neck is OK!! That looks like a hard hit. A lot of damage. Hope she gets fixed and like new soon.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to lgbalfa Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
please keep us posted with how everything turn out.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:47 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I haven't heard from the other person's insurance company yet. However, the first estimate is $6500; which assumes replacing the left quarter panel (the body shop thinks this might not be needed). My task now is to prove that $6500 is not 75% of my cars value so the insurance doesn't try to total the car. Interestingly, I found quite a few 1991 Spiders in the $12,000 - $15,000 range, so I don't think this will be a problem but still need to find the NADA value.

I still need a left side tail light, and the center reflector strip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgbalfa View Post
please keep us posted with how everything turn out.

George Schweikle

Scuderia Non Originale
Old 02-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Platinum Subscriber

The car is finished. The SUV attack was Dec 14 and repair took a long time, but I used the same local shop that worked on one of John M's Spiders and will paint his Ferrari. I drove it home yesterday just in time to miss the freezing rain and snow last night. The check from MetLife auto insurance to me was $4742, and the body shop told me they were paid $3000 direct for additional cost over the insurance adjuster's estimate. That's an expensive fender bender...

Edit: I checked the repair invoice, and the total bill was $7482. After viewing the car, the adjuster used his corporate software to establish an "official" repair cost of $4740. I already had an estimate of $6500 and, after seeing this, the adjuster agreed that they would pay anything over his estimate. Giving due credit, MetLife auto insurance made the unfortunate process as good as possible. They also gave me $120 in return for not using their offer of a rental car for 10 days.

Just in case you missed the beginning:
Attached Images

George Schweikle

Scuderia Non Originale

Last edited by conedriver; 02-12-2012 at 06:08 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Platinum Subscriber

I love a story with a happy ending.
http://www.aroc-usa.org/ click on tech advisors to contact me by email for tech advice or use this AlfaBB 164 section or an alfabb Private Mail.

Daily drivers: USA models - 91 164L w/AT "Black Beauty I" ALFA4ME; 91 164S Black Beauty II ALFALFA

SOLD MY91 "Bianco" 164B 5-speed [My Originale], ALFISTO Movin On!
Also gone are Old Blue 91 164L, Rosso1 93 164L, Rosso2 91 164S; QS2 164L

Daughter's current ride: Her Granddads 2002 Ford Taurus

Current Car hauler and Parts chaser : 2000 Dodge Ram PU 5.2L V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
Old 02-11-2012, 03:37 PM

Conedriver-I have a center section tailight lens from my 1991 S4 spider for sale. It's not in perfect shape it has a crack in it on the left hand side edge. The good news is I'm looking for a right hand side tail light with the white backup painted lens.

Any possiblity we can work out a trade my center section plus some cash for your tail light?
tony d
Old 02-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Hi Tony,

I posted earlier that I needed the S4 spider center section, but subsequently found one at Alfa Parts Exchange. The "tailight bridge" Is apparently fairly rare. I still have the right side tail light if you're interested. There's a picture in the Alfa parts for sale section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Dellicolli View Post
Conedriver-I have a center section tailight lens from my 1991 S4 spider for sale. It's not in perfect shape it has a crack in it on the left hand side edge. The good news is I'm looking for a right hand side tail light with the white backup painted lens.

Any possiblity we can work out a trade my center section plus some cash for your tail light?
tony d

George Schweikle

Scuderia Non Originale
Old 02-13-2012, 06:58 AM
Senior Texas Member
Gold Subscriber

George it looks like they were masking off the entire car for painting. Did they give you a complete repaint or just the repaired area?

Bill ("Plays well with others")
1978 Spider Veloce
Old 02-13-2012, 07:21 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Hi Bill,

Both doors were painted since the door gaps closed during the impact and scraped the rear door edges. They also painted the left side rocker cover. I paid extra to have the front bumper and both rear view mirrors painted, so the only areas not repainted were the hood, front fenders, hood surround, and right rocker cover. The paint match appears perfect, but I took several additional pictures to document the repair if I ever want to sell the car and the wreck appears on a carfax report.

In hindsight, I should have dipped further into the piggy bank and had the entire car painted, but I need a new set of Hoosier tire$ for the Red Spider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
George it looks like they were masking off the entire car for painting. Did they give you a complete repaint or just the repaired area?

George Schweikle

Scuderia Non Originale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.