Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Spica

3K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  rozumak 
#1 ·
Start overhauling my Spica.

First step, out of the car. Secound step goes to a spezialist.

The Spica leaks fuel into the oel.

Send it tomorrow near Frankfurt.

The Spica works 43 fine till now. Never had a problem!!!!.

Kai

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi Kai,
I hope all goes well with your Spica rebuild, re-installation and master cylinder swap. I am sorry to hear that your original Spica and master cylinder 'only' lasted 43 years. Very nice and original looking engine compartment!

You stated that fuel was getting into your oil. Can see the oil level going up on the dipstick or is there another indicator?

Also, I wonder if the fuel injection pump is just worn out or if there may be other contributing factors such as high electric fuel pump pressure possibly caused by blocked pressure relief valve(s) or a clogged fuel flow orifice that would allow fuel to seep past the pistons in the Spica.

Who will rebuild your Spica?

Mark

#4 ·
Dear Mark,

yes, the oil starts to smell like fuel and yes the level goes a little up. I drive the car only longer distance and no short ways when it is possible. So thats why I want to overhauled my Spica. She works realy fine in all the years without any problem.

Mr. Hans Hub (near Frankfurt) and not so far from me says that most of that failure the injectors are have any faulty. He will see it if the injctors give the right messurment of fuel and how they "spray". When they work all fine than the pump at it is is leaking along the valves. Than he will open it!. First of all he will check all pass quantity of fuel. Pump and injectors.

We will see.

Kai

#6 ·
Just offering my two cents and with all respect to Herr Hub, I would strongly recommend you speaking with Wes Ingram about your rebuild He just finished mine and spent a lot of time refurbishing it and bench testing it for proper performance. I found him to be a great partner to work with on this complex system. His website is: Ingram Enterprises, Inc. || Home Page

#7 ·
Dear SHazz, dear alfajp,

I work in the past with Wes and he did a great job with my Thermo adjucator.

For me it was important to know what is happen. When I have to overhauld my Pump he is my first choice. The reasen I give here in Germany to this guy is that some people have realy good expearence with him. The second reasen is the very expensive custom cost by resending the pump from the US.

Yesterday Mr. Hub tell my that the Injector´s (12 I give to him) are all well and OK. All switches are working in the right messurement.

The Pump give not enough pressure to the injectors and the fuel will pass by the valves into the Pump. So it is the big and expensive overhauling.

Kai

#8 ·
I am very surprised by the possibility of a high import tax. If you label the pump as "Used auto part for vintage car for rebuilding, originally manufactured in Italy" I would expect no duty at all.

I have just finished the overhaul of my Montreal engine using Wes Ingram for the pump. It is running perfectly.

#15 ·
Hi Don,

firstly: did you get your stickers already?

secondly: generell about tax in Germany:

The customs want their import-tax for everything what is over 18/max. 20 Euro
+ 19% tax. The money they want of us for re-import/or a job or things bought
abroard is in this case JUST for his work (In Swiss same)! When his bill says 1500 $
for repair we pay approx. 5-600 $ + 19% on these 5-600$ = so this amount will
be approx. 6-750$ - PLUS the 1500 of Wes = no cheap joke !

Wes, Delmas and Polly attended the int. Montreal Meeting in Luxembourg at 2008.
It was an enjoyment to meet the 3 nice person, Wes made a great job on our TA !!!

regards from stormy germany
hannelore ;)

Attachments

Reactions: Montikai
#9 ·
Thank you for the tip Don.

I do it in past like you say with Wes.

I know it, but the problem is the german custom and tax. Because of the invoice of Wes. I have to pay custom fees and german Tax 19%.

But I have to do it. Today Mr. Hub say that the Valve´s are in bad conditions. So, no way around, I have to send it.

Kai

#10 ·
It seems odd that the Germans would tax labor from another country rather than the material. The material is Italian made. Oh well, if you have to do it, you have to do it.

He seems to be getting more Montreal work of late. I've corresponded with him about improving his little wrench to loosening his special nut on the Fuel Cutoff Solenoid (which he refers to as "FAS").

#13 ·
I NEVER ask a vendor to falsify official records. It is corrupt, and shows that one doesn't respect his duty and right to work within the law.

#14 ·
Dear Folk,

in the past Wes didn´t ask/discus about a lower invoice. That is OK for me. SHazz, I know about overhauling AMS and the guy from switzerland. I hear also so many good things from him. But with switzerland we have the same problem at the boarder with the customs as with the boarder US. Price will close the same Wes or switzerland, AMS.

Mr. Hub tell me today that he open the pump and grind all valves and he make also a set new springs inside. Now no fuel comes out and the pressure are on the right level.

I will try the pump. I have to change the oil and when I have reinstall the pump I will see.

Thank you all for your tip´s.

Regards
Kai

#16 ·
No stickers yet. Still watching mail box.

#17 ·
I have checked transfer status on german mail in internet: "Left to USA, there in control..." Same with Bud Millard's sending to UK ! ....

I guess they check even postcards today... This world won't become better again !! :frown2:

please keep me informed.
Bye, Hanna

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.