Spot a Monti for sale - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 285 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Spot a Monti for sale

Seems to be a new past time of watching Montreal prices and trying to predict them! Thought it might be good to consolidate a few pickings into one thread. Add any others you see, particularly if you know the final sale/auction price.

Its nearly a year ago that the red car sold for $176000US including 10 percent buyer’s fees at the Gooding and co. auction.
1971 Alfa Romeo Montreal | Gooding & Company
It is discussed here:
Montreal to be auctioned, Gooding & Company
Name:  1280.jpg
Views: 1888
Size:  37.5 KB

This one was passed in at the last bid of $110,000 plus costs at Auctions America on the 2nd August 2014
1971 Alfa Romeo Montreal - California
and discussed here
Montreal at Auctions America
Name:  AA.JPG
Views: 1828
Size:  52.6 KB

This one sold at Bonhams auction for $99000 including buyers fee (15th August 2014)
Bonhams : 1974 ALFA ROMEO MONTREAL Chassis no. 1427671 Engine no. AR00121 01353
Name:  99k.jpg
Views: 1842
Size:  47.7 KB

A red one sold at Bonhams on the 6th October 2014 for US$ 74,800 inc. premium
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1809
Size:  51.2 KB

Most recently (5th December 2014) this lovely green Montreal sold on UK ebay for GBP 55,100 or $86,573 and was discussed here:
Marvelous Montreal

1972 Alfa Romeo Montreal Green | eBay

Name:  $_57.jpg
Views: 1851
Size:  80.0 KB

Derek Entesano
1966 Giulia Super(Biancospino) 90% Restored
1967 GT Veloce(Rosso) Hibernating Project
1972 Montreal (Arancio) Restoration Project

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(general classic Alfa Romeo website)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(blog on my Montreal restoration)

Lots of NOS 105 series parts for sale (always adding more)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 285 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Seems that the price of a basket case is being dragged up too
This seller must be smoking something. 11000EU, I don't think so....
Alfa Romeo Montreal Oldtimer Scheunenfund 105.64 in Nordrhein-Westfalen - Lüdenscheid | Alfa Romeo Gebrauchtwagen | eBay Kleinanzeigen
Attached Images

Derek Entesano

post #3 of 285 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 10:37 PM

Great thread....

Looks like the last one may need a little elbow grease and a good polish and buff.

1975 Montreal - Race prepared... Mean and Green.
1999 166 3.0 V6 - Daily Driver, 1989 75 2.0 TS Turbo IMSA project car

post #4 of 285 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 03:38 AM

hi, good summary - maybe one common link to these prices is that the sales have been in the US or bought by US individuals (even the green one) - not sure what the prices have been in Europe but once the green car sold others on notable web sites seemed to follow suite re the price (not sure if they have sold though) - I think (please advise) that the montreal is pretty rare in the US which may drive a premium - however I am not an owner also a newbie re this car although learning more thanks to various posts and pms - I suppose the questions that no one can answer is this trend set to continue or will there be a correction / or is c USD 80K the entry level?
post #5 of 285 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 12:18 PM

Kicking off the 2015 auction season is this one being sold by Russo & Steele in Scottsdale.
Russo and Steele

Unfortunately, R&S doesn't state a range.

Does anyone know anything about car's history or condition?
post #6 of 285 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Up and coming French auction on Feb 6th is this '76 Monti apparently with original leather seats.
1976 Alfa Romeo Montreal No reserve - by Artcurial - Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan
Attached Images

Derek Entesano

post #7 of 285 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 04:57 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Hmmm. I like the green, but the green just behind the headlights doesn't register well to me. Just a taste thingy, I guess.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #8 of 285 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 11:17 AM

Other than doing a quickie paint job that looks nice and glossy, the whole of the bodywork behind the grille and bumpers should have been black. Passenger side rear wheel lips appears to have some bubbling or bad filler, hard to tell only looking at the pictures. Makes you wonder where else they took short cuts.
post #9 of 285 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 03:09 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Others have noted this elsewhere, but it might help to put have some context to accompany the above pictures and ending prices...

I was at the 2014 Quail-Bonhams, primarily to get a data point on the silver Montreal that sold for 90k+ premium for a total of 99k.

The paint job was shiny, but appeared over-thick and very freshly sprayed. Overspray was visible in a variety of places. Pretty much all of the exterior screws, such as for the tail light lenses, were completely rusty and red. The wheel wells appeared very freshly sprayed with thick under-coating. The engine bay showed no effort toward restoration, and appeared to be that of a well-used driver. The interior was ordinary, but not tatty, except for what appeared to be freshly recovered (in red) seats. I seem to recall that the trim bar that covers the rear hatch latches was missing, and there were other trim issues in the trunk area. The tires were not a name I recognized. Wheels appeared to have been re-sprayed with the tires still mounted, showing both runs and missed areas as though they had been re-sprayed on the car and some directions were too hard to reach. Weird textured black sprayed onto rocker panels. Cracked windshield

I cannot report on the sound of the engine, how it drives, or any mechanical issues.

Using the standard description terms, the car would have been ranked a 3 or 4. It may well have been more than "well sold", which was the SCM opinion of the sale.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #10 of 285 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 09:08 PM

Davesam, you are correct that the Montreal is quite rare and a bit of a curiosity in the U.S./North America. They were never sold new in the U.S. and most seem to think that there are about 100 or so Stateside, all imported privately. In Canada, there are around 10 known cars. Your profile doesn't indicate where you are located. Do you have any prcing information with respect to Monti values in Europe or elsewhere (besides North America)?

Kieth Martin has long argued that the Montreal is the ne plus ultra in the underrated, underappreciated poor man's exotic supercar category (with which I wholeheartedly agree), but recent auction results in the U.S. seem to be putting it outside the common man's reach. Does anyone have any data to suggest that this might be a purely North American phenomenon, as Davesam seems to suggest, or do results elsewhere suggest that the broader market is finally recognizing the Montreal's overall desirability and collectibility, regardless of whether this is a good thing, or not?

Last edited by Con Gusto; 01-10-2015 at 09:13 PM.
post #11 of 285 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con Gusto View Post
Davesam, Does anyone have any data to suggest that this might be a purely North American phenomenon, as Davesam seems to suggest, or do results elsewhere suggest that the broader market is finally recognizing the Montreal's overall desirability and collectibility, regardless of whether this is a good thing, or not?
I just can speak for German prices, we have 6 classes like school: 1 = perfect like new or better - 5to6 looks like attachment:

1 year ago the Montreal was a low-price car in very good shape 2 approx. 28-35 thousend Euro. You could buy Montreals in shape 4 for maybe 11-17000, sometimes in better shape in the technic what is most INTERESTING! They optic for me is secondary and mostly easier to fix.

since the price hype started in the States here the montreals rised up in 70-100%. Still you can find treasures for good prices in maybe shape -3/+4 when you want an honest car where to see what is to do/what is for me or my mechanic possible and payable. Do I want to do the efforts and spend money in a car what will be on road in maybe 1-2 years. BUT know what all was done and working. Now out are a lot of polished cadavers who show their nice dresses but under the skirt is the beauty sick...

You never know what you buy when you don't know really where to look. We here in Germany have a lovely filled table to look what car I want - of course you have not the same offers in the States. So in last time some curious offers floated the market now and this is just quick money some guys want to make with their rotten "Beauties"...

Not everybody has a mechanic hand and has the disadvantage to buy a car by hope and trust in a good deal. In our beginning of Montreal-life we also lost much money by no knowledge and vendors were rubbing hands of stupid Nehme's . But we learned a bit, today we are more careful - but not free of bad luck, hmmm.

For people who are looking for a Montreal in good shape what need a big restoration I just can hope that they find somebody with experiences in this car and contact local clubs for help, maybe to go together to offered cars for more intensive check. Money is hard to earn an should not be thrown out of window.

If our car will be offered in actual shape it is advertised for around 58-62.000 Euro, always possible to talk about it... When I see what is offered at this time on market and see our car and the technic in restored shape with many new parts, I think it is not just a silly dream.
Hannelore
Attached Images

https://www.flickr.com/photos/74918552@N08/ *
post #12 of 285 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 01:36 PM

Hi Hannelore,

I think you're right, Montreal prices are going through the roof at the moment. I also keep on eye on sites like mobile.de, and looking at the pictures I'm not often conviced that they are all "pristine" and ready to do a long road trip. Anyway,I don't care, I got my Monty just in time, and I bought it to drive&enjoy

Regards (and to all out here: best wishes for a healthy and happy New Yeay (for man and machine )
post #13 of 285 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malex View Post
Kicking off the 2015 auction season is this one being sold by Russo & Steele in Scottsdale.
Russo and Steele

Unfortunately, R&S doesn't state a range.

Does anyone know anything about car's history or condition?
Does anyone know what this car sold for at the R & S auction today?
post #14 of 285 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 11:08 AM

Garage
That is a very nice looking Montreal. It appears fresh and clean inside and out (the numbers match the numbers on my keyboard too)! The 'factory optioned' leather does not look like it has ever been sat on; did Alfa or Bertone actually keep a record of which cars had leather seats? The gear shift boot and console have been modified but I am just being picky. The engine compartment is for the most part tidy and clean with the correct radiator overflow tube, improperly routed and (all) very grungy fluid reservoirs. I am not familiar with the metal I.D. tag riveted to the front right wheel well or the silver ball (object?) on the right corner of the dash, it really should have silver wiper blade holders. I hope the seller and buyer both did well.
Mark
post #15 of 285 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 11:23 AM

Here is another one for sale, I don't think it has been mentioned before.
Also for silly money: 1971 Alfa Romeo Montreal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode