Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Arese. The factory,

10K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Aggie57 
#1 ·
New book from Umberto Di Paolo.
Fantastic new book. I don't know if it's available in English.
Got it today.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I've been in Arese factory, or I should say in its rests, last month.

I saw with some AlfaClubMilano friends the power station that still provides electricity to the new shopping center, racing track and also to other third parts.

Most part of the plant has been destroyed (there were more than 20000 people in '70s) in favour of a new and "indispensable" shopping center

When our industry was the backbone of our country, now its just a bitter memory.

#5 · (Edited)
Is this the big vacant factory skeleton behind the big Centro Commercial Il Centro shopping center with the massive unoccupied rear parking lot? If so we went by it by accident trying to get out of that maze after shopping at Iper (after hitting the Alfa Museum).

#13 ·
I finally got through reading this book (in German). It explains when and how the factory was created (in 4 phases), what was produced there (both in terms of parts and cars), the people involved, and then, after the government forced Alfa to create a 2nd factory in Pomigliano d'Arco and then sold Alfa to Fiat, what led to the decline of the factory in Arese, and how it was eventually dismantled and torn down. Although, because of the large quantity of pictures, one could mistake this book as a coffee table book, it actually is very well written, solely focusing on the history of the Arese plant (and skipping Alfa's early history that ha been regurgitated in so many other books). Excellent!!!

Because of the pictures (and how they were ordered in the book), I would recommend this book even to a non-German speaking audience. I can only wish it were published bi- or tri-lingual -- and that similar books will be written about the Portello and Pomigliano d'Arco plants.

#14 · (Edited)
Thank you for sharing this new book in your post; it looks fascinating.

I visited Arese last August and toured the Museo Storico Alfa Romeo (which is an absolute must-see and just fantastic); now I’m kicking myself that I didn’t ask my taxi driver to drive me ‘out back’ to visit Il Centro and what’s left of the Arese plant.

Quick question to anyone following: what has become of the giant Alfa Romeo neon sign on the end of the plant and the haunting ‘spirit’ sculpture made of chrome bumpers in the entry court?

(having trouble posting my pic of this, sorry...) Great Alfa art pieces...

#15 ·
Hi all alfisti

I live near Milano and last december I went to museo storico alfa romeo in Arese

The museum is wonderful, fantastic cars, a really truly deeply journey in alfa romeo history

Sadly, while we were leaving the site we could not ignore the huge empty space between the museum and the shopping center in the distance

Sad to say that probably most of the people who were "grazing" inside shopping center,completely ignores the existence of the museum

Ciao to all
Enrico

#18 · (Edited)
Thank you, Enrico!

Do us all a favor and make some more films for us Alfisti- in and around the Museo, Il Centro and what remains of the stabilimento Arese!

I’m sure I am not alone in being an Alfa history buff; the more research we can get our hands on, the better.

I love Milano and its surrounding area; I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental near the Duomo (most highly praised!) after arriving on the FrecciaRossa from Bologna and tours @ Museo Ferrari and MEF...it was at the conclusion of an epic journey through Italy in a Ferrari 488 Spider!

When I returned home to the US, I bought my dream Alfa Spider as a souvenir of Italia!

#19 ·
For sure grant

I live very close to lake como, 40 km far form arese , but the next time I pass near Arese I will take pictures and movies in the former alfa plant

Happy to hear you have enjoyed my strange , a little crazy but wonderful country driving a ferrari 448

kind regards
enrico

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.